The all-purpose Q thread

What should/will the Jets do now that Q is available?

• Should and will replace Maurice with Q

• Should but won't replace Maurice with Q

• Should not but will replace Maurice with Q

• Should not and will not replace Maurice with Q

• Other (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Here's your chance to weigh in on Coach Q's dismissal from the Hawks. Good or bad decision on their part, what do you think of Q compared to Maurice, and of course the big one, should we snag him while we can.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
They also fired Assistant Coaches Kevin Dineen and Ulf Samuelsson.

Every coach in the history of the NHL gets let go eventually. It was just Quenneville's time. 11 years - 3 Stanley Cups...nothing wrong with his track record.

The Jets should fire Paul Maurice today and replace him with Quenneville, but, that will never happen.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
If Maurice discussion gets split between this thread and the other active Maurice thread, we're likely to merge this into the other. Quenneville as a topic for HFJets is OT, but discussion of Q with respect to Maurice is not. Fair warning about a potential merge?

Reactions: Hunter368

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
If Maurice discussion gets split between this thread and the other active Maurice thread, we're likely to merge this into the other. Quenneville as a topic for HFJets is OT, but discussion of Q with respect to Maurice is not. Fair warning about a potential merge?

Fair. Should a merge happen sooner than later, can the poll be moved over to the active thread?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets aren’t going to fire PMO when he’s got a decent/winning record just because. PMO still has the rooms ear and is 8-5 record......nothing will happen unless he loses the room and/or the record slips to 500 or sub 500

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Jets aren’t going to fire PMO when he’s got a decent/winning record just because. PMO still has the rooms ear and is 8-5 record......nothing will happen unless he loses the room and/or the record slips to 500 or sub 500

In keeping with that notion, I've added a change vote to the poll to keep it dynamic.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I agree that he and the team are doing ok in the standings right now. I just always look at whether we could be better, and I believe that this team is far better than they are being used right now. With the talent on this roster, we should be killing these lower level teams that we've been playing lately. It shouldn't even be close.

I think our record is going to change for the worse as we start playing some better teams, unless something happens. Either with the players themselves or the coaching.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

This is exactly why I voted 'should but won't'.

Reactions: purdy44

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I agree that he and the team are doing ok in the standings right now. I just always look at whether we could be better, and I believe that this team is far better than they are being used right now. With the talent on this roster, we should be killing these lower level teams that we've been playing lately. It shouldn't even be close.

I think our record is going to change for the worse as we start playing some better teams, unless something happens. Either with the players themselves or the coaching.

The teams record could get worse.....you never know that’s why we all watch sports. But I can’t see a mature owner like Chipman or Chevy having a knee jerk reaction over the grass “might” be greener on that side of the fence when the grass is already plenty green on this side......Let’s wait till the team actually struggles before firing a guy & his crew and taking a huge leap of faith with a new guy who very possibly does no better or worse.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
The teams record could get worse.....you never know that’s why we all watch sports. But I can’t see a mature owner like Chipman or Chevy having a knee jerk reaction over the grass “might” be greener on that side of the fence when the grass is already plenty green on this side......Let’s wait till the team actually struggles before firing a guy & his crew and taking a huge leap of faith with a new guy who very possibly does no better or worse.

Probably right. They have to trust their decision to go with Maurice; some teams get into cycles of firing and hiring coaches and it doesn't always help anything, then what do you do?

On the other hand, it's possible that Maurice has some very real limitations that hold the team back. We could spend our entire window as an 'almost' team and never know whether we're just coasting into playoffs on talent. That's my worry.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Probably right. They have to trust their decision to go with Maurice; some teams get into cycles of firing and hiring coaches and it doesn't always help anything, then what do you do?

On the other hand, it's possible that Maurice has some very real limitations that hold the team back. We could spend our entire window as an 'almost' team and never know whether we're just coasting into playoffs on talent. That's my worry.

Is PMO perfect? Of course not.

Is Q perfect? Of course not. I read the Hawks board many times.......many Hawks fans have been very frustrated with him for a long time now and will be rejoicing at him being fired. They really were frustrated with his player usage and ice times given/restricted....sounds familiar?

I just caution those who want to see a guy with well over a 500 record fired......you might not get anything better.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

As an owner or GM you would have yourself... would having this guy ( Q ) make our team better than having MO, and would the result of that be a Stanley Cup?

Given that there are 31 teams in this league and how everyone has to fight to succeed under a cap system, the team you cheer for is only going to get so many chances to win it all. So, do you wait until you struggle before trying to improve things or do you try to make that final push and go all in?

I agree, I have no idea if firing MO and replacing him with Q would be the thing that takes the Jets that one step further than we got last season, but if you wait until it's obvious that your team won't do it with the coach you currently have, it's probably going to be too late to make a change. Q is not going to be available for very long.

I think it's a good debate, but ultimately I don't see the Jets doing anything. That's just not them.

Reactions: purdy44

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I voted shouldn't and won't. I really wanted us to hire Gallant when he was waiting for his taxi that night, but haven't had any particular interest in any coach since.

Mau's got his warts, but what coach doesn't? I question some of his decisions fron time to time, but there's a really good chance another coach would ice the same line up he does.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
As an owner or GM you would have yourself... would having this guy ( Q ) make our team better than having MO, and would the result of that be a Stanley Cup?

Given that there are 31 teams in this league and how everyone has to fight to succeed under a cap system, the team you cheer for is only going to get so many chances to win it all. So, do you wait until you struggle before trying to improve things or do you try to make that final push and go all in?

I agree, I have no idea if firing MO and replacing him with Q would be the thing that takes the Jets that one step further than we got last season, but if you wait until it's obvious that your team won't do it with the coach you currently have, it's probably going to be too late to make a change. Q is not going to be available for very long.

I think it's a good debate, but ultimately I don't see the Jets doing anything. That's just not them.

You’re right it isn’t them, they’ve become successful by not making knee jerk reactions. Firing PMO at this stage would be the most shocking thing in Jets 2.0 history by a 100 fold for me. I would give it 1% likelihood and only that high bc Q & Chevy know each other.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't see them doing it for a couple of reasons:

1) They are a loyal org and stand by their people. They will give Moe a fair chance to succeed with this group and it's hard to argue he doesn't deserve it given last year.

2) the Jets are still a small market team and likely can't afford to offload Moe right after signing a new HC and then bringing in whatvibwould imagine would be one of the most expensive HC in the league.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't see them doing it for a couple of reasons:

1) They are a liyalnorg and stand by their people. They will give Moe a fair chance to succeed with this group and it's hard to argue he doesn't deserve it given last year.

2) the Jets are still a small market team and likely can't afford to offload Moe right after signing a new HC and then bringing in whatvibwould imagine would be one of the most expensive HC in the league.

I think liyal-norg is supposed to be hyphenated. :laugh:

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
No way a small market team that probably just barely turns a profit going to spend 6+ million on a coach.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Things would have to go south pretty fast for Mo to get fired and Q would still have to “want” to come here as well. Doubt it happens. No idea where he goes.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I'd love to see Q behind the Jets bench. No way Maurice gets replaced right now. Too bad, because our record is bouyed up by what has been a very easy schedule so far, plus a backup goalie that steals every game he starts in. Even with that schedule, a talented lineup, no lasting injuries we are in the middle third tier of the league. Last year is evidence that Maurice is unlikely to lose his 'Never Won Anything Ever' status no matter how talented a team he is given. The way he is managing the Jets lineup / icetime again this year shows us that again. BTW - I'm not counting consolation prizes - he has won some of those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad