The All Purpose Pens Off Day(s?) Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, I have a hard time thinking the season's anything but cancelled. We should pray that this thing will be contained by the start of NEXT season.

Yeah, now f1 is maybe unofficially eying starting their season in early June and they’ve been dicking around with this more than any other sport I’ve seen. If anyone is stupid enough to try in the face of a pandemic, it’s probably that group. They’re different sports but if they just jumped to the playoffs in June, ignoring scheduling, they’d finish in August. Skip the preseason entirely and say it ended August 1st and the season starts October 1st, it’s a 2 month off season. The NHLPA and CBA inevitably get involved at some point with scheduling. I think June would be optimistic for both, tbh.

Never mind the scheduling possibly dragging it out longer, the teams that wouldn’t want to jump straight to the playoffs because they’re not he edge of making it and the teams that would want games to get warmed up.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Look, based on the countries like south korea that tested at a 5 to ten time higher rate than anyone else and found widespread mild cases, as well as the absolute quarantines that found about 20% of the exposed contracted it, the virus isn’t likely to be as devastating as the news is making it out to be ...

It may be already widespread...based off of worse case contagion rates, ohio thinks it may currently have as many as 117,000 people currently infected... but the vast majority suffer little to no symptoms...

China obviously lied and threw off predictions... its probably going to settle into the .7 or less death rate we see in those more extensive scenarios...

once its more facts and less hysteria in a month or two, we will know whether we can expect the season to continue or be scrapped

Reactions: metalan2

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Look, based on the countries like south korea that tested at a 5 to ten time higher rate than anyone else and found widespread mild cases, as well as the absolute quarantines that found about 20% of the exposed contracted it, the virus isn’t likely to be as devastating as the news is making it out to be ...

It may be already widespread...based off of worse case contagion rates, ohio thinks it may currently have as many as 117,000 people currently infected... but the vast majority suffer little to no symptoms...

China obviously lied and threw off predictions... its probably going to settle into the .7 or less death rate we see in those more extensive scenarios...

once its more facts and less hysteria in a month or two, we will know whether we can expect the season to continue or be scrapped
OK, I'll bite. I live in WA where 31 have died to date and we're at 500 cases and the numbers are increasing every day with a pathetically insignificant statistical sample size. Schools are cancelled and my kids' sports are done. Tell me again about this "hysteria" you speak of?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
OK, I'll bite. I live in WA where 31 have died to date and we're at 500 cases and the numbers are increasing every day with a pathetically insignificant statistical sample size. Schools are cancelled and my kids' sports are done. Tell me again about this "hysteria" you speak of?

It’s cool dude. Sports leagues and amusement parks that have only closed when our president has been assassinated and 1000s were killed in a terrorist attack, but ya gotta live your life. It’s the Americana way.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I don't think so. Once tests become more readily-available it's going to reveal that a s-ton of people have it. So that will exacerbate the alarm.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't think so. Once tests become more readily-available it's going to reveal that a s-ton of people have it. So that will exacerbate the alarm.
Nah that tends to work in reverse... when few people have it the death rates are high and it spooks people... when lots do and the death rate is low nobody cares...

the flu hits 600 million people a year, pneumonia 200 million... no panics over them.. the swine flu started to turn hysterical then people realized it had under a 1% death rate and everyone was getting it and it mostly was just like the flu and then it dried up into nothing Even though it infected 61 million Americans that first year and killed over 12,000... unlike this illness, that targets over 65 years old persons as most do, swine flu mortality was80% under 65..... far scarier for most people

it killed an estimated 500,000 people worldwide that first year, but nobody panicked at this level because by the time hysteria set in, it was widespread with little death rates...

if the death rate falls to a decimal here... all of these closures end...

This is a fine safety precaution, but its not the horror story scenario... its a flu lookalike with a high chance of nasty viral pneumonia in the elderly

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
And I fully support the current closures and suspensions... i think in hindsight they are going to be seen as overreaction, but its better to be safe than sorry if this thing turns worse

its just that this one is new and shiny so the news is sensationalizing it... its what they do

Read the literally hundreds of survivor stories about this and 99% of them are saying it was no big deal, the few that had terrible experiences are the ones that make the news...

People talking about millions dead worldwide... i mean the numbers just don’t show that... the average age of death by this virus is 81... there still hasn’t been a healthy individual under 30 who has died from it... and nobody under 9, which is almost unbelievable for a virus like this...

Again in Washington state last year they averaged 86 deaths a month from flu that turned into pneumonia, but that isn't new and sexy, so it gets no coverage

Look maybe this has some weird twist come spring , but it looks like based on viral precedence, things probably won’t seem as bad in a couple months... or even a month...

There may be a little panic when people realize its widespread, then when they realize most people don’t even show symptoms, or have mild cases, the fear subsides...

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Game 1 against the Rangers, Zatkoff
Game 3 against the Rangers where Murray got his 1st PO start
Game 4 against the Rangers where Murray got his 1st PO SO
Game 4 against the Capitals when Letang was suspended
Game 6 against the Capitals to relive the rollercoaster
Game 7 against Tampa
Game 1 against San Jose
Game 2 against San Jose

Game 1 against Columbus for the drama before the game started
Game 4 against Washington with no Crosby
Game 7 against Washington
Game 1 against Nashville. No shots, no worries
Game 5 against Nashville because stfu Nashville fans

There should be an Ottawa game or two in there and more Tampa.

Terrific list starting with game 3 against Rags. Man is Daley noticable!

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Nah that tends to work in reverse... when few people have it the death rates are high and it spooks people... when lots do and the death rate is low nobody cares...

the flu hits 600 million people a year, pneumonia 200 million... no panics over them.. the swine flu started to turn hysterical then people realized it had under a 1% death rate and everyone was getting it and it mostly was just like the flu and then it dried up into nothing Even though it infected 61 million Americans that first year and killed over 12,000... unlike this illness, that targets over 65 years old persons as most do, swine flu mortality was80% under 65..... far scarier for most people

it killed an estimated 500,000 people worldwide that first year, but nobody panicked at this level because by the time hysteria set in, it was widespread with little death rates...

if the death rate falls to a decimal here... all of these closures end...

This is a fine safety precaution, but its not the horror story scenario... its a flu lookalike with a high chance of nasty viral pneumonia in the elderly
So brave and cavalier with the straw man arguments. I've not read any opinion in here that paints this as the apocalypse. Who is the straw man with the horror stories? It is accepted knowledge that most infected have little to moderate symptoms and don't die. But it is far more transmittable than common flu variants. Perhaps you should visit the Lombardy region of Italy to remind everyone they'd just as likely be dying of influenza and the following pneumonia and this is nothing special even though the number are astounding. Bet that would go over well. But Lombardy is an isolated example of an unrelated epidemiological disaster, right, and the fact the Italian medical system is under stress it hasn't experienced since World War II is just ridiculous, because these folks are just spooked and hysterical as they die? The Iranians are equally histrionic, as I've no doubt the new mass graves in Qom are just for show.

The flu has vaccines, and while not wholly preventative, serve as an effective prophylactic, ameliorating both the effects of the flu and mortality. We have nothing like that for Novel Coronavirus. Yet. And pneumonia, as I am sure you know, is what kills folks weakened by other pathogens first. I feel so much safer now. This is just flu lookalike, right. Oh wait, a "foreign virus", that's it. ;-)

Last edited:

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Could you imagine there is a long enough break for Guentzel to come back..

Jason Zucker - Sidney Crosby - Evan Rodrigues (Would like to try this out) Or Marleau in this spot.
Jake Guentzel - Evgeni Malkin - Bryan Rust
Patrick Marleau - Jared McCann - Patric Hornqvist
Zach Aston Reese - Teddy Blueger - Brandon Tanev
Conor Sheary - Nick Bjugstad - Sam Lafferty

Brian Dumoulin - Kris Letang
Marcus Petterson - John Marino
Jack Johnson - Justin Schultz

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
So brave and cavalier with the straw man arguments. I've not read any opinion in here that paints this as the apocalypse. Who is the straw man with the horror stories? It is accepted knowledge that most infected have little to moderate symptoms and don't die. But it is far more transmittable than common flu variants. Perhaps you should visit the Lombardy region of Italy to remind everyone they'd just as likely be dying of influenza and the following pneumonia and this is nothing special even though the number are astounding. Bet that would go over well. But Lombardy is an isolated example of an unrelated epidemiological disaster, right, and the fact the Italian medical system is under stress it hasn't experienced since World War II is just ridiculous, because these folks are just spooked and hysterical as they die? The Iranians are equally histrionic, as I've no doubt the new mass graves in Qom are just for show.

The flu has vaccines, and while not wholly preventative, serve as an effective prophylactic, ameliorating both the effects of the flu and mortality. We have nothing like that for Novel Coronavirus. Yet. And pneumona, as I am sure you know, is what kills folks weakened by other pathogens first. I feel so much safer now. This is just flu lookalike, right. Oh wait, a "foreign virus", that's it. ;-)
remember the swine flue? no? it was much worse, more died no one remembers because the news didn't hype it up like they are doing with this. why? draw your own conclusions.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
if we get Guentzel back before the playoffs, the cap wont work out.

I think that we'd be okay by keeping Bjugstad (who's week to week) out and putting him on retroactive LTIR. If not, he just gets to stew until the playoffs start, which probably wouldn't be that long.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
remember the swine flue? no? it was much worse, more died no one remembers because the news didn't hype it up like they are doing with this. why? draw your own conclusions.

what??? dude. i remember the swine flue being a pretty big deal, everyone was talking about, mind you this was before the huge blowup of Social media, everyone having a smartphone, so if it was a pretty big deal in 2009 without those things, imagine how big of a deal it would be with the social media of today.

also, the swine flu wasn't as contagious. so it is rightly much less of a big deal.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
god that you remember, but you seem to forget it was much more deadly. or maybe you don't remember as much as you think you do.

"more deadly" isnt the thing to look at.

why cant people grasp that?

the fact that this virus spreads SO easily is the f***ing issue here. overwhelming hospitals, messing up the world economy becuase everything is shutdown.

its not as deadly but it will kill more people just because MORE people will be infected.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
At least half were in a nursing home.

H1n1 infected 800m across globe, 70m in US. Once there is more testing in the United States the kill rate will go under 1%. It's currently at 3% because they only know about the sickest cases.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
what??? dude. i remember the swine flue being a pretty big deal, everyone was talking about, mind you this was before the huge blowup of Social media, everyone having a smartphone, so if it was a pretty big deal in 2009 without those things, imagine how big of a deal it would be with the social media of today.

also, the swine flu wasn't as contagious. so it is rightly much less of a big deal.
It is highly unlikely the Wuhan virus gets anywhere near the h1n1 numbers. There was absolutely no precaution taken whatsoever with that outbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad