The All-Purpose Panic Thread

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I agree on Pietrangelo being hurt. I also suspect he's been hurt for more than just the last game or so. I've notice a significant drop off in his play the last two or three weeks.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I agree on Pietrangelo being hurt. I also suspect he's been hurt for more than just the last game or so. I've notice a significant drop off in his play the last two or three weeks.

It's been longer than that.
Around beginning/mid November he was finally catching up and the beginning of December he was playing at what I consider to be "low-elite" level. He was focusing on some things I would prefer he not, but he was playing and improving.

Then sometime around the end of December, it was day and night. He stopped using the body at all and was unable to shoot the puck with any real ability.

Then again as you note, sometime within the past month he has gone to the point that he is no longer even a #2 defenseman for stretches at a time.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

I've noticed a drop off this entire season, from his level of last season. He had 90 hits in a 48 game season last year, and only 24 hits in this 81 game season. Not that he's a hitting machine and physically-dominating defenceman, but he used to use his body to impede opponents. Now all he does in poke check.

I hope he is back healthy all next season, He can't possibly come back to full health and confidence in that condition, from sitting out one game. We can expect him to play similarly in the playoffs, to how he has played recently.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
I remember the game on his birthday was a particularly bad game and he's been off a majority of the time since then.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If that tweet can be taken at face value, perhaps Berglund's injury is not as severe as I feared. On NBC it was listed as "shoulder", but I think he may be able to contribute as a post-season warrior (playing hurt) as a possibility.

Man, Game 1 is going to be so interesting to see how the team responds, who is back in the line-up, and whether they take advantage of the new lease on life that the post-season gives them.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I've noticed a drop off this entire season, from his level of last season. He had 90 hits in a 48 game season last year, and only 24 hits in this 81 game season. Not that he's a hitting machine and physically-dominating defenceman, but he used to use his body to impede opponents. Now all he does in poke check.

I hope he is back healthy all next season, He can't possibly come back to full health and confidence in that condition, from sitting out one game. We can expect him to play similarly in the playoffs, to how he has played recently.

No he had 90 in 11-12, and 24 last season, and 24 again this season. Still a very significant drop though. I've noticed lately he's played a bit meaner with some hacks, but he needs to be more physical with his body in all situations. And it's not like he hasn't done it in the past.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If there is a good news about playing the Blackhawks, it's that they are not a physical team - which is good if we're going to be banged up.

Granted, since it's a rivalry I expect them to maybe play a bit more physical than usual, but hopefully we can wear them down physically more than they do to us.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
If we lose I'll be rooting for the Ducks. Would be nice to see Selanne win another cup and Pat Maroon lift the cup.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
If we lose I'll be rooting for the Ducks. Would be nice to see Selanne win another cup and Pat Maroon lift the cup.

I root for the Penguins, Bruins and Sharks (yeah I know the Sharks usually choke in the playoffs also but it goes back to my like of the long defunct California Golden Seals back in the day :laugh:) once the Blues get eliminated.

BlueAero

Apr 19, 2013
Houston, TX
I root for no one once we are eliminated. I do, however, root against certain teams so, in a sense, I guess that is rooting for another team to win.

Here's an excellent article that will strike a nerve for long-suffering Note fans like me (47th year of bleeding blue):

http://www.101sports.com/2014/04/11/history-repeats-free-falling-blues/http://

It's hard to be optimistic when we have seen this kind of scenario repeat itself time and again. That said, even the most hardened skeptic will be glued to the TV when they drop the puck in game #1 versus the Hawks. We can always hope. :stanley:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I root for no one once we are eliminated. I do, however, root against certain teams so, in a sense, I guess that is rooting for another team to win.

Here's an excellent article that will strike a nerve for long-suffering Note fans like me (47th year of bleeding blue):

http://www.101sports.com/2014/04/11/history-repeats-free-falling-blues/http://

It's hard to be optimistic when we have seen this kind of scenario repeat itself time and again. That said, even the most hardened skeptic will be glued to the TV when they drop the puck in game #1 versus the Hawks. We can always hope. :stanley:

I havent seen too much optimism about the Blues in the playoffs this year. Sure, it sounds like we are going to get many of our injured guys back at some point in this series, but 1) we dont know that will be for everyone and 2) we dont know what their impact will be coming back from more than a week off of hockey. There isnt much room for error in a 7 game series, and this team is on a 6 game streak.

Being the underdog is more fun for me, a lot less stressful when we inevitably **** it up, and much more fun if we can figure out how to steal a series from Chicago. Even if we dont win, I want Jackman and Ott starting **** after every stoppage and make Chicago pay to win this series. Winning the Cup is always the goal, but just knocking out Chicago would be a nice 2nd prize.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
I havent seen too much optimism about the Blues in the playoffs this year. Sure, it sounds like we are going to get many of our injured guys back at some point in this series, but 1) we dont know that will be for everyone and 2) we dont know what their impact will be coming back from more than a week off of hockey. There isnt much room for error in a 7 game series, and this team is on a 6 game streak.

Being the underdog is more fun for me, a lot less stressful when we inevitably **** it up, and much more fun if we can figure out how to steal a series from Chicago. Even if we dont win, I want Jackman and Ott starting **** after every stoppage and make Chicago pay to win this series. Winning the Cup is always the goal, but just knocking out Chicago would be a nice 2nd prize.

The Ott acquisition will be worth it to me if he can agitate the Hawks. Just please, please don't go flying out of position to do it. Face washes after the whistle :laugh:

fallingquarters

Jan 15, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
The Ott acquisition will be worth it to me if he can agitate the Hawks. Just please, please don't go flying out of position to do it. Face washes after the whistle :laugh:

I feel like the only way we're getting the Blackhawks agitated is if we're winning. Hitch more or less addressed this yesterday in his after-practice interview:

"...thinking you can intimidate people with body contact, you're wrong. If we think we're going to go out on a seek and destroy mission, this team will just laugh at you. They've had people running at them for five years now, they know how to deal with it. From our standpoint, we gotta play the game, play the right way. Thinking we're going to go out and intimidate the Chicago Blackhawks is nuts."

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
I feel like the only way we're getting the Blackhawks agitated is if we're winning. Hitch more or less addressed this yesterday in his after-practice interview:

"...thinking you can intimidate people with body contact, you're wrong. If we think we're going to go out on a seek and destroy mission, this team will just laugh at you. They've had people running at them for five years now, they know how to deal with it. From our standpoint, we gotta play the game, play the right way. Thinking we're going to go out and intimidate the Chicago Blackhawks is nuts."

Hence the whole not going out of his way to hit people, I'm completely okay with him being a dick after the whistle though. I actually think going for the hits plays into the Hawks hand. One guy misses a hit and they are off to the races for an odd man rush.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
If there is a good news about playing the Blackhawks, it's that they are not a physical team - which is good if we're going to be banged up.

Granted, since it's a rivalry I expect them to maybe play a bit more physical than usual, but hopefully we can wear them down physically more than they do to us.

Um, The Blues and Hacks despise each other, this will be a physical series, you can take that to the bank.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Panic averted. The optimists may have been right. Still a long way to go, but I feel so ever much better after watching game 1. Miller found his form after the first. Blues played with energy. We generated some offense. Our injured players played decently, except for Frank who played outstanding and is a superstar. I am not going to go bet the farm on a Blues Cup yet, but a round 1 exit no longer seems certain. Kudos to the optimists.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Panic averted. The optimists may have been right. Still a long way to go, but I feel so ever much better after watching game 1. Miller found his form after the first. Blues played with energy. We generated some offense. Our injured players played decently, except for Frank who played outstanding and is a superstar. I am not going to go bet the farm on a Blues Cup yet, but a round 1 exit no longer seems certain. Kudos to the optimists.

Hogwash.

It took the Blues more than five periods to defeat Chicago.

Miller gave up a goal on a breakaway.

Oshie is hurt.

Berglund is hurt.

We're doomed.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I was in all panic mode but now I'm somewhere in the middle.

The Blues played the best game they've played in a while and matched a tough Hawks team all game and were really the better team for a lot of the game.

At the same time there's still a long way to go. As everyone remembers we went up on LA 2 games to none last year and then lost 4 straight. That was then and this is now but I'm still cautious.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The Blues are a better playoff team this season than the past 2, as they depend more for scoring and leadership on youngsters, Oshie, Schwartz and Tarasenko, in addition to the still reliable Backes and Steen, while in the last 2 playoffs, they depended on Andy McDonald and Stewart more than Tarasenko and Schwartz. And, THIS season, those 3 youngsters are MUCH more capable of providing difference-making play. The Blues have a good chance to win this series against The Hawks. But, even if they don't, they'll be highly competitive, and not lose 4 games to 1.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
I havent been doom and gloom, but after last nights game, the only 2 things I have is Miller needs to be sharp from the first drop of the puck, and they need to do a better job on faceoffs. I think they got better as the game went on, which may or may not coincide with the Hawks not scoring after the 1st period.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
For the past two post-seasons for the Blues, the team which won the first game in round 1 (in overtime no less) has lost the series.

Probably only a statistical curiosity, but there you are.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
For the past two post-seasons for the Blues, the team which won the first game in round 1 (in overtime no less) has lost the series.

Yeah I wouldn't say it's anything to be concerned about. Last night was the 8th time in NHL history that the opening game of a playoff series needed 3OTs. The winner of that game went on to win the previous 7 series. Again, that means nothing though. Each series is different.

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
We still have 6 games to blow it lol

Yeah, you guys sound gloom and doom, just like me!! Baaaah!!
One win hasn't done it for me. This series is going to give me an ulcer. I'm still not convinced the Blues can get it done, but I sure hope I'm wrong! I guess I just can't imagine the Blues advancing to a WCF, when you've never seen it happen!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad