The All-Purpose Panic Thread

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Just like the title says....

Upset at the losing streak? Lack of scoring? Trades you didn't like? Just need to vent?

Here's your thread!

Mod Note: A "panic thread" is not a place to flame others, post offensive content, troll other posters, etc. Site rules must still be observed.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hopefully we make the playoffs, at this point it looks like they might not even get in. We'll need some serious help to clinch the 8th seed.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
I know I was not a fan of any part of the Miller trade. One thing that concerns me the most about the trade is we seem to have went from rolling 3 scoring lines to having 2 scoring lines and two grinding lines.

I just don't think we have enough high end talent to construct the team this way.

Even if I post negative comments about Ott and Miller I really am not that worried. Our lack of scoring is alarming. Our lack of drive is alarming. I don't think Miller or Ott have contributed to this at all though. Our core is going to do what they are going to do regardless of that trade.

Let's just hope they get their heads straight before the playoffs start.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I know I was not a fan of any part of the Miller trade. One thing that concerns me the most about the trade is we seem to have went from rolling 3 scoring lines to having 2 scoring lines and two grinding lines.

I just don't think we have enough high end talent to construct the team this way.

Agreed. I thought Vanek was the guy we should have targeted. Especially at the price he went for.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011

I feel like that's a bit of a mirage though, Stewart wasn't scoring, and now Ott isn't scoring. Those two were basically swapped for each other, I'm pretty sure no head coach was worrying about getting his top defensive pairing or best checking forwards on the ice at the end of Stewart's time here.

The thing that's really killing this team is Frank's injury. That guy is clearly our most potent offensive threat, statistics be damned. If anything, that's why we've gone for 3 scoring lines to 2 scoring lines......that and Berglund going back to being Berglund. (Same could be said about Morrow/MPS/Roy etc, but I single out Berglund b/c we've seen him have the ability to take over games, then just fizzle out for weeks at a time)

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
I'll go on record saying that I'm strongly concerned with our recent lack of scoring. The Blues have had weak scoring from the bottom three lines since sometime around Tarasenko's injury. The team has gotten away with it by riding the coattails of the first line's production and by coasting on wins in the bank from earlier in the season. Without solid offense from multiple lines, we're not likely to fare well in the post season.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Agreed. I thought Vanek was the guy we should have targeted. Especially at the price he went for.

Now that I totally agree with. We're willing to give up two 1sts and a solid prospect for Miller, but we're not willing to part with a 2nd for Vanek?

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Now that I totally agree with. We're willing to give up two 1sts and a solid prospect for Miller, but we're not willing to part with a 2nd for Vanek?

Something must have happened, they must have been working on a deal up until the last minute and everyone thought Vanek was going through with a certain team. Deal got cancelled last minute and Snow made a panic move with no time left. All 29 teams would be willing to give up a second for Vanek.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
We are getting swept in the first round. Just a heads up. I'm not emotionally prepared for any kind of re-build after what we have been through since 2004. Time to start watching chess matches or something.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
Also, we have not won a sunday DAY game, or nationally televised game in 39 years. Not sure if that is a fact, but I figure it must be close.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
Something must have happened, they must have been working on a deal up until the last minute and everyone thought Vanek was going through with a certain team. Deal got cancelled last minute and Snow made a panic move with no time left. All 29 teams would be willing to give up a second for Vanek.

Right. This had to be what happened. Shoot, the Bruins would've given up a 2nd for Vanek. Just too much value there to pass up at that price.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
We are getting swept in the first round. Just a heads up. I'm not emotionally prepared for any kind of re-build after what we have been through since 2004. Time to start watching chess matches or something.

You know, if that happens after this amazing season they've had (stay away from alcohol gang, nothing good could come of it lol)...How do we handle moving forward from there? I mean that would be a monumental collapse, do serious moves to the roster and front office need to be made, and who moves and gets the axe? Or do we just try again next season with the roster and management left as is?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
A 3 game losing streak and everyone is freaking out?

The last 10 games the Blues are what, 4-5-1?

The last 20 games the Blues are what, 11-6-3?

For the season, the Blues are what, 52-20-7 (2nd in the League)

And people are worried...why?

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
A 3 game losing streak and everyone is freaking out?

The last 10 games the Blues are what, 4-5-1?

The last 20 games the Blues are what, 11-6-3?

For the season, the Blues are what, 52-20-7 (2nd in the League)

And people are worried...why?

It's not so much that they are losing but how they are losing.

I just hope we don't fall into the second seed and draw the Hawks.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

There were periods earlier in the season where we were being blasted 4 or more goals to zero or one or two. To me this is a constant problem and I don't know enough to figure if it's an isolated problem, a lack of depth or other things. At this time we had Halak and Stewart. Changing them to Miller and Ott should have made things different but we're getting the same results. To me, it's a fundamental problem and may well be a problem that exists in Hitchcock's playbook that needs to be rectified moreso than anything else.

At this point in the season could also possibly be players playing it careful so they don't get hurt which puts them, imho, into trouble more than they're trying to keep out of, if they're playing like that.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
I'm not mad, I'm not that worried, I am just super pissed off right now.
000c2f8e75d25a7545f21f0fc486aaf3.jpeg

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
should the backes injury status be talked about in this thread? I am definitely worried about that.
I was pro-stewart, but I do not think that is a reason for our struggles. It is, however, very difficult to shy away from linking the scoring struggle to Tarasenko's absence.
All I have to say is we better get it together, and Pajaarvi better be playing in the first round! I mean that

Sniper

It's learning...
Jun 11, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
So who takes the fall for another 1st round playoff exit? Miller? Backes? Hitchcock? Armstrong?

What will be done to shake up this maddening team?

ZigZagBluesFan

Sep 30, 2010
For Colorado to pass us in the tie-breaker, they'll have to win one more game than us in the remaining three right?

I have a hard time believing that Colorado's not going to lose at least one of the road games against San Jose or Anaheim.

We've had Minnesota's number this year so hopefully we continue to dominate. I also hope they'll be a little fired up when Detroit comes to town for the regular season finale.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri

For me, it's a combination of how they are losing and the timing of it. You want to peak at the right time, not be fading right when it's about to be crunch time.

To take a recent example from March Madness, I'd rather be UCONN or Kentucky who didn't win their regular season title or conference tournament title, but peak at the right time and make it to the championship.

The Blues still have a few games to get things ironed out, so I'm not not worried. Now, if Backes' foot ends up being broken, then I will start to worry.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ah, good to see that we are already predicting the team to get destroyed in the 1st round. :laugh:

illninofan*

It's not quite time to panic, but it's definitely time to be upset. My jimmies aren't quite rustled just yet though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad