The All-Purpose Panic Thread

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm just going to say one last thing: We're always going to be heartbroken and disappointed by this team until suddenly, one day we aren't. And knowing St. Louis sports, it will be totally out of left field, like a season when we just barely squeak into the playoffs.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm just going to say one last thing: We're always going to be heartbroken and disappointed by this team until suddenly, one day we aren't. And knowing St. Louis sports, it will be totally out of left field, like a season when we just barely squeak into the playoffs.
I really thought after this you were about to say, when we die.

It's amazing how much this team is like the anti-Cardinals.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's worse than the Cubs because the Blues are constantly teasing us, and we're dumb enough to think we'll eventually get out of the friend zone.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I really thought after this you were about to say, when we die.

It's amazing how much this team is like the anti-Cardinals.
You know, I came very, very, very close to adding that. But, I can't completely give up hope.
It's worse than the Cubs because the Blues are constantly teasing us, and we're dumb enough to think we'll eventually get out of the friend zone.
It's so painful. I mean at least everybody knows the Cubs are going to suck.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well hold on now, 46 years without a cup isn't good but going 105 years without winning is just... I don't even know how that happens.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lol true.

I would hope if we hit the 70-year mark without a championship we would just say **** it, sell the entire farm, unload 10 years worth of first round picks and build an all-star team to win a damn cup.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Lol true.

I would hope if we hit the 70-year mark without a championship we would just say **** it, sell the entire farm, unload 10 years worth of first round picks and build an all-star team to win a damn cup.

Better Idea:

Trade the all the players for high picks, stay at the cap floor with 1 year bloated contracts for 4th line players and save that money up for 5 years until the very high picks develop and then sign the best free agents, etc. Sure-fire Cup.

Is it me or do forwards play a bigger role in Cup-winning teams than anything else. CHI had Kane-Toews, PIT had Crosby-Malkin, DET had Datysuk-Zetterberg, Tampa had MSL-Lecalvier... It seems that having that elite duo on forward really helps if nothing else. Schwartz-Tarasenko?

Last edited:

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Lol true.

They won't last 70 years in St Louis without a championship (unless the Rams leave town first).

Better Idea:

Trade the all the players for high picks, stay at the cap floor with 1 year bloated contracts for 4th line players and save that money up for 5 years until the very high picks develop and then sign the best free agents, etc. Sure-fire Cup.

So basically the Buffalo rebuild plan?

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Your right, knee jerk reaction with the way they have been playing. You don't dump a potential perennial top 5 defenseman for potential young kid. We just really need to find some offense #1 center. It has been too long since we've had a true #1.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Your right, knee jerk reaction with the way they have been playing. You don't dump a potential perennial top 5 defenseman for potential young kid. We just really need to find some offense #1 center. It has been too long since we've had a true #1.

We don't need a number one. Backes is a number one. We need a top six center to slot in behind him. A certain Paul Stastny would fit that mold perfectly.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The only reason that I say we need an offensive center is that it seems that Backes is always slotted against the other team's top line. I think that may stifle a bit of the offensive mind of that line. Futhermore, I don't see Backes as creative with the puck as other more offensive minded centers are. Now, I wouldn't trade Backes for the world as I'm a big fan, I'd just like to see what a dynamic offensive center could do, but maybe that can't co-exist with Hitch's 200 foot game?

Sniper

It's learning...
Jun 11, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
Maybe we should consider changing our playoff avatars from Hitchcock's Pyramid of Greatness to Panic Condition Levels or PANICON if you will.

PANICON Alpha = "Our scoring will pick back up in the playoffs once everyone is healthy"
PANICON Bravo = "Miller just needs time to adjust."
PANICON Charlie = "If we lose, Hitchcock and Armstrong need to be fired!"
PANICON Delta = "TRADE EVERYONE!!! FIRE EVERYONE!!! REBUILD!!!"

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The only reason that I say we need an offensive center is that it seems that Backes is always slotted against the other team's top line. I think that may stifle a bit of the offensive mind of that line. Futhermore, I don't see Backes as creative with the puck as other more offensive minded centers are. Now, I wouldn't trade Backes for the world as I'm a big fan, I'd just like to see what a dynamic offensive center could do, but maybe that can't co-exist with Hitch's 200 foot game?

Again, we don't need a dynamic offensive center. We are good enough to win if we've got another center to take some of the pressure off of Backes. The guy plays shutdown minutes and still managed to put up almost 60 points. If he got softer minutes I'm sure he could produce more.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If that is the case, why not slot Sobotka as the #2 center? A few years back, I thought Bergie would be that, but I think he is slated to play the wing.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Maybe we should consider changing our playoff avatars from Hitchcock's Pyramid of Greatness to Panic Condition Levels or PANICON if you will.

PANICON Alpha = "Our scoring will pick back up in the playoffs once everyone is healthy"
PANICON Bravo = "Miller just needs time to adjust."
PANICON Charlie = "If we lose, Hitchcock and Armstrong need to be fired!"
PANICON Delta = "TRADE EVERYONE!!! FIRE EVERYONE!!! REBUILD!!!"
You make the avatars and I'll sport one.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If that is the case, why not slot Sobotka as the #2 center? A few years back, I thought Bergie would be that, but I think he is slated to play the wing.

Because a guy like Stastny is definitely a step up from Sobotka. As much as I love what Sobotka brings overall, he just doesn't bring enough offense consistently to be a second line center. Plus, if we actually manage to land Stastny, Sobotka gets pushed back to the third line, making us that much harder to play against.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Just wanted to pass on the best wishes from Boston regarding that hit on Oshie. Hopefully he's ok and doesn't miss a beat. TJ is, and has been for a while, one of my favorite players outside of Boston. The kid absolutely DESTROYS people, but he does it the way you're supposed to, just a clean hard hitter. Losing count of how many times we've been on the receiving end of dirt just like that, and on our top six. Rupp should have his face lit on fire and put out w/ a golf club.

Couldn't help but read some of the posts here. Our team practically crawled into the playoffs last year, just looked like they were out of gas, losing to bottom dwellers, etc, etc. And... then they just rolled people once the playoffs started. Don't lose hope yet. A Bruins vs Blues finals would be a hell of a series, I hope we both make it. Best of luck.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Just wanted to pass on the best wishes from Boston regarding that hit on Oshie. Hopefully he's ok and doesn't miss a beat. TJ is, and has been for a while, one of my favorite players outside of Boston. The kid absolutely DESTROYS people, but he does it the way you're supposed to, just a clean hard hitter. Losing count of how many times we've been on the receiving end of dirt just like that, and on our top six. Rupp should have his face lit on fire and put out w/ a golf club.

Couldn't help but read some of the posts here. Our team practically crawled into the playoffs last year, just looked like they were out of gas, losing to bottom dwellers, etc, etc. And... then they just rolled people once the playoffs started. Don't lose hope yet. A Bruins vs Blues finals would be a hell of a series, I hope we both make it. Best of luck.

Limping into the playoffs is certainly not the way you want to go in, but it's not an automatic death sentence. Teams have survived before and won, but it's difficult. The hard part is that we are literally limping. Looks like we could potentially be missing half of our top six, which completely guts our offensive depth. That in and of itself is pretty much a season killer.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It's now crystal clear there is a problem in the locker room.

Time to call Hitch in the office and tell him his job is on the line. If the team implodes now, no one is going to trust Hitch after that. The team will be looked at as the Maple Leafs of the West and I'm sorry, but that thought has to put a fire of anger into Stillman.

He is the coach, he is the driver of this train. This is his responsibility and he has the tools, even without Tarasenko, Oshie and Backes to make things happen. Steen, Sobotka, Schwartz alone could help carry the team in scoring and there are enough skilled forwards and D out there that can get the job done, but they're not playing D at all and they're not... There is simply no excuse.

In fact, someone told me earlier that they read somewhere that Hitch came out and said he isn't worried about these last regular season games. While I have no problem with them sucking and then kick it into high gear once they enter the playoffs, I do have a problem with them playing garbage hockey and having players get injured because of it.

As for Miller, alot of people agreed we were getting a -slightly- better netminder for Halak in him, so I'm not too upset about it. Starting Elliott right now? I wouldn't do it. I'd wait a few games. Historically speaking, when we've had this problem and Elliott was called in, he put up a .940 and lived in orbit for awhile. THAT is what we will need walking into the playoffs and if we hit Elliott right, he might pull a Quick and take us where we need to go.

But this...mess, has to start with leadership. Hitchcock needs to be held accountable for handling this and solving it now.

While it is against Hitchcock's seemingly personal code of "Go with the Vets, ignore the rookies", I think it is time we call up Rattie to fill the void we have now. We need another skilled hand on the ice and Rattie has got slick...slick...hands.

And GIVE MILLER BACK HIS WHITE GOALIE MASK.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad