Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | Drama Llama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’d bench Simon and Sprong first too. Who else would you bench when our top twelve wingers are Jake, Rust, Kessel, Hornqvist, Pearson, and ZAR?

Is this rhetorical? I sure as hell wouldn't keep force-feeding Rust prime offensive minutes with the way he's currently playing, and I sure as hell wouldn't instantly think ZAR should be getting increased ice time when the team needs a boost offensively.

It's not like the "safe" guys are playing well. All the above I mentioned (plus Simon and Sprong) haven't been great for a lot of this season. Yet the "safe" ones are the two who get way more rope after a screw up.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Because its the same core that has won 2 of the last 3 stanley cups and has made the playoffs for 12 straight years.

Is it possible the fell of a cliff, sure.

Is it likely... I dont think so. I mean seriosuly it look a terrible 10 game stretch where despite playing bad, they still should have had 6-8 more points than they got, to even get to this point.

I mean the core is still very good but they’re not 25 anymore and they’re not carrying the rest of the team, or most importantly the goaltending...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Because its the same core that has won 2 of the last 3 stanley cups and has made the playoffs for 12 straight years.

Is it possible the fell of a cliff, sure.

Is it likely... I dont think so. I mean seriosuly it look a terrible 10 game stretch where despite playing bad, they still should have had 6-8 more points than they got, to even get to this point.

That's a dangerous way to look at things if you only look at the core guys and not the supporting cast. I'm not saying we're at that point yet, but look at Chicago. Their "core" is still there, but they've not been contenders the last handful of seasons because their depth has gotten worse.

Our depth is worse now than it was during those back-to-back Cup years, even if our core is still largely intact.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is this rhetorical? I sure as hell wouldn't keep force-feeding Rust prime offensive minutes with the way he's currently playing, and I sure as hell wouldn't instantly think ZAR should be getting increased ice time when the team needs a boost offensively.

It's not like the "safe" guys are playing well. All the above I mentioned (plus Simon and Sprong) haven't been great for a lot of this season. Yet the "safe" ones are the two who get way more rope after a screw up.

So you would have put Sprong or Simon with Crosby last night when Hornqvist went down in a 1 - 1 game?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean the core is still very good but they’re not 25 anymore and they’re not carrying the rest of the team, or most importantly the goaltending...

They just carried us to 4 points from 6 with goaltending. I don't know how long they can do that but now that we've got all the stars fit and (mostly) firing, things look a bit different. Give them goaltending and it won't be another 5 game winless streak...

... probably.

Reactions: Andy99

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Like i said it absolutely possible they fell off a cliff but for us to get to this cliff it has taken putrid goal tending and the worst 10 game stretch i can remember in years that was made even worse by bad lick in games they did play well enough to win in.

If it takes ALL of that just to get down to 44% then i think they will be just fine as far as making the playoffs is concerned

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
That's a dangerous way to look at things if you only look at the core guys and not the supporting cast. I'm not saying we're at that point yet, but look at Chicago. Their "core" is still there, but they've not been contenders the last handful of seasons because their depth has gotten worse.

Our depth is worse now than it was during those back-to-back Cup years, even if our core is still largely intact.

Their core has also gotten significantly worse, Towes is a shell of himself the last few years, they taded Saad, traded Panarin to get Saad back and now Saad sucks too. Keith aint the same guy and Seabrook has been poop for a while.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Because both Simon and Sprong were directly responsible for tying goals in the last two losses. That is why.

This sounds like the mindset the team is using for why they keep dressing all these safe plugs and why Wilson got the promotion from the AHL.

Play not to lose rather than dress guys to try and play to win. Hasn't exactly resulted in much success these past 10 games, has it?

Sideline

May 23, 2004

That's what I think people are missing. This is Letang's best hockey in years. Geno is playing 115 point pace hockey. Sid is playing good two way hockey on a 100 point pace. Phil is on a 100 point pace. Hornqvist was on pace for a career highs in goals and points. What else is the core supposed to do? This team is just bad from forward 8 through 13, defenseman 3 through 7, and mediocre at best in goal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This sounds like the mindset the team is using for why they keep dressing all these safe plugs and why Wilson got the promotion from the AHL.

Play not to lose rather than dress guys to try and play to win. Hasn't exactly resulted in much success these past 10 games, has it?

Well. Simon and Sprong also have a combined 0 Pts in their last six games.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Our depth in the bottom six may arguably be as bad as it has been in the Sid/Geno era.

When it comes to making smart, quick, reliable decisions with the puck, this defense (definitely without Schultz and arguably with him) is the worst of the Sid/Geno era.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Our depth in the bottom six may arguably be as bad as it has been in the Sid/Geno era.

When it comes to making smart, quick, reliable decisions with the puck, this defense (definitely without Schultz and arguably with him) is the worst of the Sid/Geno era.

Not even close... Adams, Glass, Sutter, Pyatt, Sill, Kobasew, D'Agostini, Goc, Ebbett etc. ... Your 2013 Pittsburgh Penguins bottom 6

Sorry if you meantbthe D, only saw the first part before i
Posted.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Not even close... Adams, Glass, Sutter, Pyatt, Sill, Kobasew, D'Agostini, Goc, Ebbett etc. ... Your 2013 Pittsburgh Penguins bottom 6

Sorry if you meantbthe D, only saw the first part before i
Posted.

No, I said 'arguably' with the forwards, but said definitely with the D.

2013 is a better case. I'd spent a fortune on shrinks trying to forget that bottom six. In one post, you undid all of their hard work. Thanks. :(

Reactions: Ogrezilla

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
No, I said 'arguably' with the forwards, but said definitely with the D.

2013 is a better case. I'd spent a fortune on shrinks trying to forget that bottom six. In one post, you undid all of their hard work. Thanks. :(

The D is definelty abd right now without Schultz but (sorry for the clockwork black and gold) but that 13 depth at F was criminal.

Reactions: KIRK

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Pens playoff chances down to 41 percent.

41 percent!!!! Sprong’s fault

cut.jpg

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
:laugh:

It turns into a 5 hour drive instead of 2 or less depending where everyone is.

That ain't shit. I've taken shits longer than 5 hrs. (Joking)

But I drove from Jacksonville NC to Pittsburgh when I was in the marines every holiday. About 9 hours. Really wasnt bad. 5 hours aint nuttin.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That ain't ****. I've taken ****s longer than 5 hrs. (Joking)

But I drove from Jacksonville NC to Pittsburgh when I was in the marines every holiday. About 9 hours. Really wasnt bad. 5 hours aint nuttin.

He might want to live in Canada too. He can do that playing for Buffalo. I’m not sure if he does. I would though much nicer area just across the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad