Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | Drama Llama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think you might be looking at this through rose colored glasses. The bottom 6 has been trash. The defense 3 through 7 has been mediocre at best. The goaltending is looking shaky. If Sid, Geno, or Letang miss any significant time this team is so done.
you're missing the point. Most teams out of the playoffs at Thanksgiving were probably expecting that. Most of them will probably play it safe in terms of any moves they make. They will be looking long term for moves. I would be surprised if there's a single team in that 5 year stretch who was as concerned about that situation as JR is right now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Because its about as accurate as expecting Malkin and Wilson to have the same shooting percentage if you gave them the same opportunities.

I'm not here to present the case for untrammeled optimism but a stat based on "This is what happens to everyone" isn't all that great for predicting what will happen in one particular case.

We have a less than 50% of making the playoffs with the Mcurdy (sp?) model.

Acting like it is not a very real possibility we miss the playoffs if we lose any of the next four games is foolish at best.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
With no cap space and few assets to leverage.

The depth of the issues, especially on defense, and the cap/assets variables are unlike anything I've seen in the Sid/Geno era.
hey, we might still miss. But to think we aren't going to try harder to fix this team than almost every one of the teams included in that stat is just silly. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But most of those teams were playing for the future at that point. We won't be.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd like to add that while this Pens team can be better, the odds of it getting better imminently look really short. The question at this point is more or less "If the goaltending stabilises, can our stars drag us there". There's no core of stars in the NHL I'd rather entrust that mission to, but I'd rather not be in that place to begin with.

Acting like it is not a very real possibility we miss the playoffs if we lose any of the next four games is foolish at best.

I know dude. I'm just saying use McCurdy's stat, not the other one.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
you're missing the point. Most teams out of the playoffs at Thanksgiving were probably expecting that. Most of them will probably play it safe in terms of any moves they make. They will be looking long term for moves. I would be surprised if there's a single team in that 5 year stretch who was as concerned about that situation as JR is right now.

JR has come out and said the answer is in the room. Aka he badly misplayed the past 12-18 months.

What realistically can JR do to make this team a playoff team?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

But that model is still based on this year's performance assuming we don't make any moves to improve the team, right?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
he said it before the Pearson trade too though. He also called out the young guys not playing how they did to earn contracts etc etc.

He did not say that before. Honestly, chances are at this point in time we are more likely to miss the playoffs then make it.

I don’t believe our odds have been this bad at any point in the Pens current history. 14-15 maybe?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
hey, we might still miss. But to think we aren't going to try harder to fix this team than almost every one of the teams included in that stat is just silly. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But most of those teams were playing for the future at that point. We won't be.

I'm not sure that any team in the Metro Division is playing for the future right now.

Maybe the Isles, but I suspect they think they're better than anticipated, which they in face are. Carolina's owner wants to win now. New Jersey is playing to win now. Philly? Not really.

Nope, every single team in the Metro is thinking playoffs.

Now, I will grant you Detroit and Ottawa. Florida? Weird situation, but Tallon is managing for his job this season, just like he was last season.

No, even if you extend it to the East, MOST of the teams, save 2 or maybe 3, will be thinking playoffs for the next 2 months MINIMUM.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
you're missing the point. Most teams out of the playoffs at Thanksgiving were probably expecting that. Most of them will probably play it safe in terms of any moves they make. They will be looking long term for moves. I would be surprised if there's a single team in that 5 year stretch who is as concerned about that situation as JR is right now.

No I get your point I just don't see how JR could reasonably fix this if things do not get better very soon. Suppose the Penguins go .500 from now until the new year. That's a big improvement from the last 10 game stretch. Even then they would need to sustain a top 3 in the league points percentage from that point forward just to make the playoffs.

Basically, they need to get good right now. Today. And have no more major injuries. It's not over yet, but it is very very close to insurmountable.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure that any team in the Metro Division is playing for the future right now.

Maybe the Isles, but I suspect they think they're better than anticipated, which they in face are. Carolina's owner wants to win now. New Jersey is playing to win now. Philly? Not really.

Nope, every single team in the Metro is thinking playoffs.

Now, I will grant you Detroit and Ottawa. Florida? Weird situation, but Tallon is managing for his job this season, just like he was last season.

No, even if you extend it to the East, MOST of the teams, save 2 or maybe 3, will be thinking playoffs for the next 2 months MINIMUM.
that literally has nothing to do with what I said.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
No I get your point I just don't see how JR could reasonably fix this if things do not get better very soon. Suppose the Penguins go .500 from now until the new year. That's a big improvement from the last 10 game stretch. Even then they would need to sustain a top 3 in the league points percentage from that point forward just to make the playoffs.

Basically, they need to get good right now. Today. And have no more major injuries. It's not over yet, but it is very very close to insurmountable.

Good lord the go on a modest win streak theyre right in it.

Ues it is true that most team sitting out of the playoffs at Thanksgiving miss the playoffs but the difference between the team that overcome those odds and the ones that dont is the ones that do are teams like us. Good team that are underperforming their expectations.

The teams that dont are trMs like the Kings etc.

I mean seriously i bet the odds go way up if you look just at teams that have been to a conference final in the last X years.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Ues it is true that most team sitting out of the playoffs at Thanksgiving miss the playoffs but the difference between the team that overcome those odds and the ones that dont is the ones that do are teams like us. Good team that are underperforming their expectations.

I mean seriously i bet the odds go way up if you look just at teams that have been to a conference final in the last X years.

Or they go 1-3-1 in the next 5, which is like pretty conceivable, and they are last place in the conference through a third of the season.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I figured that's what it was. You could see his head bounce off of the boards.

Wilson is our new net front presence. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

What makes you think we’re a “good” team? There’s evidence to the contrary....

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

source.gif

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Because its the same core that has won 2 of the last 3 stanley cups and has made the playoffs for 12 straight years.

Is it possible the fell of a cliff, sure.

Is it likely... I dont think so. I mean seriosuly it look a terrible 10 game stretch where despite playing bad, they still should have had 6-8 more points than they got, to even get to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad