Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | Because 60 Minutes Just Isn't Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
But Sullivan just got a vote of approval from JR In Mackey’s new article on the PG website....

But it assures everyone that the coach is not the problem and his voice is still heard...lol...

Jim Rutherford doesn't think the Penguins are tuning out Mike Sullivan

That 'the only thing wrong is that we just need to come to work and work harder' line is a little disappointingly unsurprising (JR is right, in that it's an issue, but it's not THE only issue).

Why don't you post the real quote?

giphy.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think THIS current Pens team could kill off the three straight puck over glass penalties.

They killed off a 5 minute major vs one of the best power plays in the league, right? Pretty close to being the same thing. I'd back them to have a good go.

Its gone kinda unremarked and they've had a big wobble on the recent losing streak, but our PK has been one of the best non-star things about this team this season so far. Successful, aggressive, generating chances....

If Rust, Sheahan, Cullen, Maatta and Johnson could bring their PK form to 5v5 we'd be laughing.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
They killed off a 5 minute major vs one of the best power plays in the league, right? Pretty close to being the same thing. I'd back them to have a good go.

Its gone kinda unremarked and they've had a big wobble on the recent losing streak, but our PK has been one of the best non-star things about this team this season so far. Successful, aggressive, generating chances....

If Rust, Sheahan, Cullen, Maatta and Johnson could bring their PK form to 5v5 we'd be laughing.

I mean, yes, taken literally the PK is actually good.

I was meaning more that this team doesn't have what it takes to pull that shit off in the playoffs and win in OT again against the 2015-16 Capitals.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, yes, taken literally the PK is actually good.

I was meaning more that this team doesn't have what it takes to pull that **** off in the playoffs and win in OT again against the 2015-16 Capitals.

Not right now but I believe that when out of a funk, the team does indeed have that mental fortitude. Just needs the efficiency to match.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Not right now but I believe that when out of a funk, the team does indeed have that mental fortitude. Just needs the efficiency to match.

We'll see. I hope 6 months from now I can be made a fool. Or hell, just 48 hours....

Reactions: Peat

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Many thanks to those who have already volunteered to do a GDT! We still need volunteers for the following:
Game #17 Thursday, November 15 vs TBL
Game #18 Saturday, November 17 @ OTT
Game #20 Wednesday, November 21 vs DAL
Game #21 Friday, November 23 @ BOS
Game #22 Saturday, November 24 vs CBJ
Game #24 Wednesday, November 28 @ COL
You can claim your game in the GDT Sign-Up Thread, DM me or one of the other mods or even claim one in this thread. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
More praise for De Smith at the moment. Love his game right now. Playing with confidence. He’s stats are pretty amazing too:

6 starts only 1 regulation loss.

SV% .942
GAA 1.89
QS% .833
(quality starts - his SV% over the league average)
RBS none
(really bad starts - under .850 Murray has 4 :()

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just wanna say with 10 points in 15 gp Dominik Simon is really producing well. He's been huge so far this season in terms of adding secondary scoring.

He's the team's 3rd highest scoring winger, 5th highest scoring forward, and 6th highest scoring player overall.

I'm admittedly not a fan, but you certainly need guys who produce.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He's the team's 3rd highest scoring winger, 5th highest scoring forward, and 6th highest scoring player overall.

I'm admittedly not a fan, but you certainly need guys who produce.

I like him. He has a knack for creating offense. I don't always enjoy his play off the puck or his abilities on the cycle but when he gets an opening to make a pass or a goal he generally finds a way to do it.

Kinda...Conor Shearyish that way I suppose.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I like him. He has a knack for creating offense. I don't always enjoy his play off the puck or his abilities on the cycle but when he gets an opening to make a pass or a goal he generally finds a way to do it.

I'd take Conor Shearyish given the cap hit.

Reactions: Pancakes

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He’s not as good one on one as Sheary. If Sheary got a breakaway or a 2 on 1 it was basically in 75% of the time.

Simon is more Rust like in that he capitalizes on smart, short, quick plays.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He’s not as good one on one as Sheary. If Sheary got a breakaway or a 2 on 1 it was basically in 75% of the time.

Simon is more Rust like in that he capitalizes on smart, short, quick plays.

Simon is a better playmaker than Rust imo, but not as good a goalscorer nor as gritty/ as good two-way.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I refer to Simon as the poor man's Guentzel. I think that's the closest one.

Bonus points for the fact that I think he's a bit more physical and stroppy (although the fact I currently think that might be why Rutherford's felt the need to talk about guys altering their game to get big contracts).

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Simon is a better playmaker than Rust imo, but not as good a goalscorer nor as gritty/ as good two-way.

I don’t agree with the gritty part. Simon is like a rabid dog on the boards and he separates guys from pucks better than anybody but Crosby and Malkin.

I bet if we kept track of how many board battles their fwds won every game, Simon would consistently be right among their leaders every time.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Simon is a really smart player and on this team sometimes that seems rare. Clicking with Sid is obviously very helpful. He’s coming along nicely with his game. If he stays fairly consistent he’ll work out pretty well.

Agree with @mrjiggyfly about the grittiness. He has that urgency and he’s not weak at all for a small guy. Really strong on his feet.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like if the organization wouldn't also have Sprong, people here would love Simon :laugh:

He's Sullivan's pet (not as much as Sheary was and Rust is, though), but the real ire towards him is that people feel like he's taking away Sprong's opportunity. I'm hesitant with Simon, I did really like him as a prospect and have been happy with what he has done in the NHL so far, but I'm still hesitant. I'm not sure he's going to be anything more than a 3rd line playmaker.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I feel like if the organization wouldn't also have Sprong, people here would love Simon :laugh:

He's Sullivan's pet (not as much as Sheary was and Rust is, though), but the real ire towards him is that people feel like he's taking away Sprong's opportunity. I'm hesitant with Simon, I did really like him as a prospect and have been happy with what he has done in the NHL so far, but I'm still hesitant. I'm not sure he's going to be anything more than a 3rd line playmaker.
How is he Sullivan's pet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad