The All Purpose "It Grinds My Gears" Roster Decisions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
give markstrom winnipeg/chicago. see how he fares. then lack l.a then markstrom the next 2? if nucks clinch a spot.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Yes, when we clinch the heat is off, give Lack a rest.
Then there's still positioning to worry about. There will always be a reason to play the starter.

Läck could have had a 90-save shutout last night and it would still have been the wrong decision to play him. We're lucky he's not injured again.

And enough with the "What has Markström done?" stuff. He has played one game and eight minutes!

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Then there's still positioning to worry about. There will always be a reason to play the starter.

Läck could have had a 90-save shutout last night and it would still have been the wrong decision to play him. We're lucky he's not injured again.

And enough with the "What has Markström done?" stuff. He has played one game and eight minutes!

Exactly my point.

arsmaster*

This sentiment floating around is exaggerated.

Why are the other goalies not in fear of breaking down. Just Eddie.

Two nights off doesn't do near as much. if they give marky Chicago lack will have 3 full days off and almost 4 with a late start Saturday. That's a refresher. Guys been in a zone.

This was one coaching decision I had no issue with.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
This sentiment floating around is exaggerated.

Why are the other goalies not in fear of breaking down. Just Eddie.

Most of them don't play 19 games in 40 days or something to that effect.

Unless you're Dubnyk and even that's not good.

arsmaster*

Most of them don't play 19 games in 40 days or something to that effect.

Unless you're Dubnyk and even that's not good.

I just don't know why it matters. He doesn't look gassed. We need the points. He was well rested over the first half of the season.

He's prepared for this.

If he's getting the night off in Chicago, this rest is better and more than the rest he'd have received if he didn't play last night.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Why would he get the night off in Chicago? Points tomorrow are just as important as ones last night. Not to mention it'd be pretty poor decision making to play him back to back only to sit him the next game.

I expect Lack is in for the next 3 games at least.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
Why would he get the night off in Chicago? Points tomorrow are just as important as ones last night. Not to mention it'd be pretty poor decision making to play him back to back only to sit him the next game.

I expect Lack is in for the next 3 games at least.
The main motivation for playing Markstrom is so Lack isn't too exhausted/injured by the time the playoffs roll around. Playing him tomorrow is a bad call. If Lack gets injured now, like he did last year in a similar time frame, we'd need to rely on Markstrom or a crippled Miller. And then we're ****ed.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
The main motivation for playing Markstrom is so Lack isn't too exhausted/injured by the time the playoffs roll around. Playing him tomorrow is a bad call. If Lack gets injured now, like he did last year in a similar time frame, we'd need to rely on Markstrom or a crippled Miller. And then we're ****ed.

I totally agree, but I'm not sure the coaching staff does. If they were planning on sitting Lack I'd think the back to back would've been the time to do it. Given that he played both games, my guess is they're going to ride him until the EDM/ARI games.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
I totally agree, but I'm not sure the coaching staff does. If they were planning on sitting Lack I'd think the back to back would've been the time to do it. Given that he played both games, my guess is they're going to ride him until the EDM/ARI games.
Yeah, I agree. The only way that the back to back makes some kinda sense is if they felt that Nashville resting players and clinching a spot, they have less to play for than Chicago on Thursday, and the only way we win is if Lack's in goal. Lots of ifs.

Guess we'll see on Thursday.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
"Willie D tells @tsn1040 he's running with Eddie Lack. Only way he'll change is if Lack's play drops off"

sup!

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

excatley. start markstrom against chicago and see how he fares. miller hasnt returned or even hit the ice yet. thats 2 scenarios that the coaching staff has to deal with. risk injury with lack playing that many games without "rest"

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I just don't know why it matters. He doesn't look gassed. We need the points. He was well rested over the first half of the season.

He's prepared for this.

If he's getting the night off in Chicago, this rest is better and more than the rest he'd have received if he didn't play last night.

I dunno, he didn't look great to me against the Preds. But the main point is still that sort of workload isn't really normal. That and the back-to-back thing which is another thing entirely on top of that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm big on the 'ride Lack' bandwagon, but after getting two wins in the first two games of this road trip, I wouldn't have been opposed to letting him rest for the Chicago game.

We're in a great position right now, no need to blow guys up by overplaying them.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I'm big on the 'ride Lack' bandwagon, but after getting two wins in the first two games of this road trip, I wouldn't have been opposed to letting him rest for the Chicago game.

We're in a great position right now, no need to blow guys up by overplaying them.

Yeah, I agree. Plus, the team must be feeling pretty good about itself. I wouldn't mind Markstrom in there to help keep the team on it's toes after two big wins that take a little bit of the pressure off... plus, if Markstrom is in the plans at all for the future (or even to try and bump his trade value if he's the one going), give him an important game that points to him playing very well when the team needed him to (a "pre-clinch" game). If there is a game to dress Markstrom, I think this Chicago game should be it. If he fails, not the end of the world... ride Lack the rest of the way. And Lack gets some added rest entering into the final stretch.

I know I'd feel a lot better about Markstrom if he played real well against Chicago tomorrow. Gives me something to point too. To me, Markstrom looked terrible against SJ. Looked shaky the other start he got. Right now, I don't trust Markstrom at all. And it seems like Willie doesn't either.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
What's wrong with that? I think that's the great decision and the right decision. The team is playing well, Lack is playing well and I'm sure he wants to help the team make the playoffs. You don't change things when your team is on a roll, maybe if we lost against St. Louis or on the first game of a back-to-back.

Miller might be rusty coming back and then Lack might be tired but I think you give Markstrom the last 2-3 games if we have #2 in the division clinched. That's enough time to relax.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

I agree but at the same time,hopefully well be able to clinch failry soon and then hell get lots of time to rest.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
What's wrong with that? I think that's the great decision and the right decision. The team is playing well, Lack is playing well and I'm sure he wants to help the team make the playoffs. You don't change things when your team is on a roll, maybe if we lost against St. Louis or on the first game of a back-to-back.

Miller might be rusty coming back and then Lack might be tired but I think you give Markstrom the last 2-3 games if we have #2 in the division clinched. That's enough time to relax.
Theres a number of posts in the last couple pages as to why its a bad idea.
Riding lack whose clearly fatigued cant end well. Either short term or short first round. Fatigue always catches up with you.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Management wants to see what they have in Markstrom anyways, don't they? Can't protect him forever, if you believe he is truly going to be worth keeping over Lack, playing him should be no problem.

It was a joke to start with to think Markstrom was ever worth keeping over Lack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad