The All-Purpose 6th Overall Discussion Thread PT VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
If Leon d falls to us and we pass on him for virtanen or someone else ,I will wreck things

Yeah I think that would be a mistake as well.

Leon is a player who I really like, especially his puck protection and playmaking ability. Another thing I noticed about him is that to me he came across as the most mature draft eligible I've seen in interviews. Seems like a bright kid.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I hope Edmonton trades for 1st overall. Then:

1) Ekblad
2) Reinhart
3) Nylander
4) Ritchie
5) MDC
6) Bennett or Draisiatl

but we'd probably still take Virtanen

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I'm hoping for 1 of these 2 scenarios at 6

Scenario A)
1.Reinhart
2.Bennett
3. Ekblad
4. MDC
5. Nylander
6. Draisaitl

Scenario B
1 Reinhart
2. Bennett
3 draisaitl (Edmonton loves this kid right?)
4. MDC
5. Nylander
6. Ekblad

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Bennett, as much as I'd love a big C a guy with wheels would be more than welcome with out slowish centres/centre prospects*.

*blah blah blah "they aren't slow" but they aren't fast either

I know what you're getting at there, and Draisaitl-Horvat down the middle isn't exactly the most fleet of foot duo...but personally, i'm not too invested in the idea of basing who you'd want at the top end of a draft on a guy you have as a prospect who has yet to play a single NHL game and is far from guaranteed to be a stud top-6 center. Horvat and Draisaitl have also both played Wing, and personally, i think that's where Bennett could well end up at the NHL level, though the premium on center ice men and the scarcity thereof could also keep all of the Sams and Draisaitl, and maybe even Nylander there.

I'd just be more inclined to grab the guy i like most, or in that hypothetical faller situation, i'd be hoping for the guy i like most to fall to us...not too deeply worried about what that might mean for our top-6 centers footspeed in a number of years if everything pans out.

Bennett in a New York minute.

And I know he couldn't do a pull up...and not that I am comparing them, but I don't imagine even a 17 year old Wayne Gretzky could have done a pull up.

Bennett just seems to have such high hockey IQ/high skill level.

Do Draisaitl and Dal Colle not also have such high hockey IQ and skill levels?

I wouldn't be surprised if Bennett went first kid has all the talent in the world.. I can't see him falling to 6

I can't either. I can't imagine any of these guys falling to #6, but if there were a faller...it's interesting to see who people would prefer it to be, while we're in this dream world.

Personally, i'd say Draisaitl and even Dal Colle are more "talented" than Bennett. They both have their own issues for sure, but as i've said before...i think Draisaitl has the talent and tools to be the best offensive player out of this draft if he can improve his skating even to a "passable" level. And the biggest knock for me on MDC is that he projects as a winger...his skill level is very high.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm hoping for 1 of these 2 scenarios at 6

Scenario A)
1.Reinhart
2.Bennett
3. Ekblad
4. MDC
5. Nylander
6. Draisaitl

Scenario B
1 Reinhart
2. Bennett
3 draisaitl (Edmonton loves this kid right?)
4. MDC
5. Nylander
6. Ekblad

To me, Scenario A is probably our best chance at a "faller". Either that, or Edmonton dealing up to #1 and taking Ekblad there. Or Calgary going Full Ritchie.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I hope Edmonton trades for 1st overall. Then:

1) Ekblad
2) Reinhart
3) Nylander
4) Ritchie
5) MDC
6) Bennett or Draisiatl

but we'd probably still take Virtanen

FLA probably trades down twice. Once to EDM's #3 pick, and then again to VAN's #6 pick.

If that happens, hope it breaks down like this:

EDM - Ekblad
BUF - Bennett
VAN - Reinhart
CGY - Ritchie
NYI - Dal Colle
FLA - Draisaitl/Nylander/Ehlers

Of course, they could trade down again from this position. A lot hinges on BUF taking Bennett here.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
FLA probably trades down twice. Once to EDM's #3 pick, and then again to VAN's #6 pick.

EDM - Ekblad
BUF - Bennett
VAN - Reinhart
CGY - Ritchie
NYI - Dal Colle

Of course, they could trade down again from this position. A lot hinges on BUF taking Bennett here.

Yeah, this is honestly the sort of sceanario i'm hoping for. Though honestly...i'd take Draisaitl at #3, and in that light...i'd probably be willing to roll the dice on just staying at #6 if the Oilers make a "bold move" up to #1.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yeah, this is honestly the sort of sceanario i'm hoping for. Though honestly...i'd take Draisaitl at #3, and in that light...i'd probably be willing to roll the dice on just staying at #6 if the Oilers make a "bold move" up to #1.

I'd take LD at #3 too, not 100% sure why but I feel like he's gonna be great

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

EDM - Ekblad
BUF - Bennett
VAN - Reinhart
CGY - Ritchie
NYI - Dal Colle

Yep I would buy that scenario.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
IMO, the only way Reinhart goes #1 is if the Canucks acquire it.

Otherwise, any other team will select Ekblad.

Thus, the only risk is who does Buffalo want at #2?

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I know what you're getting at there, and Draisaitl-Horvat down the middle isn't exactly the most fleet of foot duo...but personally, i'm not too invested in the idea of basing who you'd want at the top end of a draft on a guy you have as a prospect who has yet to play a single NHL game and is far from guaranteed to be a stud top-6 center. Horvat and Draisaitl have also both played Wing, and personally, i think that's where Bennett could well end up at the NHL level, though the premium on center ice men and the scarcity thereof could also keep all of the Sams and Draisaitl, and maybe even Nylander there.

I'd just be more inclined to grab the guy i like most, or in that hypothetical faller situation, i'd be hoping for the guy i like most to fall to us...not too deeply worried about what that might mean for our top-6 centers footspeed in a number of years if everything pans out.

Do Draisaitl and Dal Colle not also have such high hockey IQ and skill levels?

I can't either. I can't imagine any of these guys falling to #6, but if there were a faller...it's interesting to see who people would prefer it to be, while we're in this dream world.

Personally, i'd say Draisaitl and even Dal Colle are more "talented" than Bennett. They both have their own issues for sure, but as i've said before...i think Draisaitl has the talent and tools to be the best offensive player out of this draft if he can improve his skating even to a "passable" level. And the biggest knock for me on MDC is that he projects as a winger...his skill level is very high.

There all pretty close. And I did not watch any complete CHL games so I am left to rely on video highlights and reports from the ""experts" including some on this board.

So it's all pretty close and the truth is, I would not be unhappy with any one of those three, but if I was choosing, then yep, it's Bennett for me.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
According to Strickland Campbell and his big contract want out of Florida. Not sure how many takers on that deal there are going to be and Florida will likely have to sweeten the pot. So now they need to rid themselves of the Jovo and Campbell contracts. It is Strickland who seems to get more unreliable by the day but perhaps throws some different permutations and combinations on what to do with that 6th overall pick. The panthers are going to prefer to not hold back any salary on that Campbell contract for instance...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
According to Strickland Campbell and his big contract want out of Florida. Not sure how many takers on that deal there are going to be and Florida will likely have to sweeten the pot. So now they need to rid themselves of the Jovo and Campbell contracts. It is Strickland who seems to get more unreliable by the day but perhaps throws some different permutations and combinations on what to do with that 6th overall pick. The panthers are going to prefer to not hold back any salary on that Campbell contract for instance...

6th overall pick, Edler, Tanev for Campbell, 1st overall?

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
The same Edler who said he will not waive is going to waive for Florida?

Is Edler's NTC iron clad? Does he need to supply a list of teams at managements request? Many contracts feature this. if Edler's does he should start thinking about this, if not he could be caught unawares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad