The All-Purpose 6th Overall Discussion Thread PT VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
Iain MacIntyre from the Vancouver Sun on FAN590 Toronto:

"the Canucks won't get one of the top 3 Cs at the draft, so they're going to take a W."

"if the Canucks don't move they're probably taking a winger. Maybe they move down a couple of picks"

"I don't think they're [the Canucks] sold on picking Nylander 6th"

"I think the Canucks are looking for some size so maybe Nylander won't be their guy."

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

"the Canucks won't get one of the top 3 Cs at the draft, so they're going to take a W."

"if the Canucks don't move they're probably taking a winger. Maybe they move down a couple of picks"

"I think the Canucks are looking for some size so maybe Nylander won't be their guy."

Debbie Downer.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I don't get this, on one hand he's saying the Canucks won't get one of the top 3 C's as if it's a definitive statement. On the other hand he's saying "IF the Canucks don't move up." I suppose he's saying if they don't move up they aren't getting one of the top 3 C's? But that it's still possible to move up?

Either way, I'm glad to see they aren't looking at Nylander.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
So we are going to move down even though according to JB there's a Top 6 that they'd be happy with?

All seems like crap to me.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Speculation, but there's some logic here, based on what Benning and Linden have said publicly. Also, verified somewhat by Sekeres' comments about what management thinks of Nylander.

I like Nylander as the best skilled option at #6 (more than Ehlers). However, I don't think the Canucks will go that way. It would be Ritchie or Virtanen at #6. Leaning towards Virtanen.

Hope Palango has got their attention with regards to Ritchie though... I think I trust his "eye" more than any other scout VAN has...

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
They're going to draft Virtanen because they're tryin to do whatever to sell tickets.

That may be a factor. The average VAN fan would endorse local talent on the team. But as a whole, I think the fanbase is smarter than this, and will recognize an inferior pick for what it is. (If it is deemed to be inferior, that is). It all comes out in the wash, so to speak.

I'd be fine with Virtanen or Ritchie. Those two are the big players in the Canucks' range. Delorme vs. Palango.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
They're going to draft Virtanen because they're tryin to do whatever to sell tickets.

I dunno if a picture on draft day of their #1 pick with his arm in a sling is going to help sell tickets.

I'd think the "golden boy" Swede would be more marketable.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I dunno if a picture on draft day of their #1 pick with his arm in a sling is going to help sell tickets.

If we are stuck with the 6th pick, I think a hulking power forward like Nick Ritchie is more marketable than your "golden BOY"

John Bender*

Wasn't it JJ Giveaway who the Canucks famously drafted......and who walked to the stage on crutches?

bo2shink*

I'm not really sure what's the point of the Edmonton involvement in this deal. It doesn't really benefit Vancouver or Florida. If Florida is willing to take Chris Tanev to trade down to #6, why wouldn't Vancouver and Florida just do that deal and leave the Oilers out of it?

Sam Gagner?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I'm not really sure what's the point of the Edmonton involvement in this deal. It doesn't really benefit Vancouver or Florida. If Florida is willing to take Chris Tanev to trade down to #6, why wouldn't Vancouver and Florida just do that deal and leave the Oilers out of it?

He has Vancouver getting the 1st and Florida getting the 6th and Tanev.

Vancouver then trades down with the 1st to Edmonton for Gagner and the 3rd.

I am not a fan of Gagner at all. I would rather just choose Reinhart first so that we can have a first overall pick, which we have never had before. We can then hope Buffalo takes Ekblad to keep him out of Edmonton's hands. No point giving Edmonton Ekblad to strengthen a divisional rival.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I think benning is all about size.

Isn't he notorious for drafting smallish, skill? When you look at his body work in Buffalo, a lot of his best picks were smaller, skilled players.

Not to mention the Bruins have drafted quite a few undersized players of late. I believe Benning was instrumental in them signing and drafting Krug and Kokhlachev - 2 of the organizations smallest players.

People seem to forget the first things uttered by Benning about the Canucks - skill, speed and an attacking style...

I think he goes with who he feels will be the best pro. We will know soon enough.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
If we are stuck with the 6th pick, I think a hulking power forward like Nick Ritchie is more marketable than your "golden BOY"

Ritchie might end up being the better player, but more marketable?

Nylander has that Bure-esque aura around him, young, cocky & flashy. The puck bunnies would love him.

While Ritchie has that Big Country-esque aura around him.

In this market I think Nylander is more likely to sell tickets.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
While Ritchie has that Big Country-esque aura around him.

I would say Ritchie has more of that 'mio sport squirt' aura about him.

Nobody is less marketable than Ritchie...

You're right, Nylander is much more marketable. Certainly some risk attached, but the upside is tremendous. Like you said, has that star demeanor about him.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Sportsnet reporting that the 8th + Kadri + Gardiner isn't enough for the 1st!
Said one senior exec: “I get the sense that [the No. 1 pick] is out there. [Pathers GM] Dale Tallon has all kinds of young players in the organization and wants to make the playoffs sooner rather than later. Still, Kadri in the package won’t get it done. JVR [LW James van Riemsdyk] might if he’s with the pick and Gardiner… or he might not. Tallon will wait it out to see what the best offer is. It’s a big one to sit tight and close on the floor but I wouldn’t rule it out.”

JVR still wouldn't? Yikes.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
That may be a factor. The average VAN fan would endorse local talent on the team. But as a whole, I think the fanbase is smarter than this, and will recognize an inferior pick for what it is. (If it is deemed to be inferior, that is). It all comes out in the wash, so to speak.

I'd be fine with Virtanen or Ritchie. Those two are the big players in the Canucks' range. Delorme vs. Palango.

You and I agree with many things, but this is not one of them. We overall are a stupid fanbase, and look no farther than those who call in to the radio. Many great fans too, but on average... not that good.

If the quote is correct, I think it means we would draft Nylander, he is in the top 6 we speak of. However I think the Canucks would rather then trade down, and pick up Virtanen. Or they would preffer a trade up to get Reinhart, or any of the other top 5, especially one of the centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad