The All-Purpose 6th Overall Discussion Thread PT IV (MOD Warning Post 554)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Unless there's a faller I'm hoping for Virtanen

Those skills are too hard to pass up. Speed. Physicality, shot. I know I'm in the minority with picking JV at #6, oh well :yo: :yo: :yo:

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
If there ever was a bass aackwards comment :amazed:

It's not backwards at all. Most of the time the best athletes end up with the best skills. That's not always the case though, especially in junior hockey. Reinart has been provided with a lot of opportunity, sometimes those guys end up ahead of the curve based on that and not their athletic ability. On the flip side, his dad was a hell of a hockey player, so I'm sure he's a good athlete.

I'll take the guy that runs faster and jumps higher over the guy with the "sick skills" all other things being equal.

bo2shink*

It's not backwards at all. Most of the time the best athletes end up with the best skills. That's not always the case though, especially in junior hockey. Reinart has been provided with a lot of opportunity, sometimes those guys end up ahead of the curve based on that and not their athletic ability. On the flip side, his dad was a hell of a hockey player, so I'm sure he's a good athlete.

I'll take the guy that runs faster and jumps higher over the guy with the "sick skills" all other things being equal.

So, Mike Bibby over Steve Nash.

Obviously it's a combination of both.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam

Not sure how this relates to the comment that skills can be taught, but athleticism can't.

Every athlete on the face of the earth can train to make them self stronger, faster and more athletic. Whether it be better training, different training, diet etc. Everyone can improve their current physical attributes. (Not to be confused with everyone can be the most athletic person in the world) But you can certainly train to be bigger, faster, stronger

Not everyone can score 40 goals a year. Some players have vision that simply can't be taught. Wayne Gretzky can't teach Taylor Pyatt to play like him, and score 50 a year. Athletes think, and see the game differently, it's just the way it is. Many times those skills cannot be taught. Perfected and improved maybe but not taught.

Your comment is completely backwards

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

So, Mike Bibby over Steve Nash.

Obviously it's a combination of both.

Scurr is correct, and look no farther than Steve Nash, who could have also played pro soccer. He was a great athlete, who trained to get the skills he has to become a two time NBA MVP.

Of course there is more that goes into it, I was a good athlete, played three sports in high school, plus hockey, and I know there is no way I could have become good enough to play in the nhl.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Scurr is correct, and look no farther than Steve Nash, who could have also played pro soccer. He was a great athlete, who trained to get the skills he has to become a two time NBA MVP.

Of course there is more that goes into it, I was a good athlete, played three sports in high school, plus hockey, and I know there is no way I could have become good enough to play in the nhl.

Are you suggesting Nash didn't have skill, he just learnt how to be good at basketball once he got into the NBA?

Don't confuse players that have both skill and athleticism, most of the great athletes do have both. The comment was made you can teach skill, but not athletic abilities

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
For 6th overall I have:

Ritchie
Virtanen/Ehlers
Nylander

Now does Virtanen have anything better than Ritchie? I see Virtanen as someone with a better shot, faster north-south player, but can't help to think it reminds me of David Booth.

Ritchie has that Kassian vibe to him, which I like a lot.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
there is a genetic component to one's physical abilities that in the most literal sense cannot be taught. if you were to make a tier list of things that you can't teach, genetic disposition to things is at the top above everything else, including 'hockey vision' or 'hockey iq'

you could argue that there is a genetic intelligence component to hockey but since hockey is a construct of society and running and jumping isn't, i think there's a seperation

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
For 6th overall I have:

Ritchie
Virtanen/Ehlers
Nylander

Now does Virtanen have anything better than Ritchie? I see Virtanen as someone with a better shot, faster north-south player, but can't help to think it reminds me of David Booth.

Keep in mind that if David Booth had a great shot, he'd actually be a heck of a hockey player.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
For 6th overall I have:

Ritchie
Virtanen/Ehlers
Nylander

Fair enough. But as far as I can tell Vitranen is in better shape, more athletic, faster, more consistent, better shot, better release all while being a lot younger.

When I see Ritchie I see a guy with concussion issues already with constancy concerns. Not to mention he's a "soft" 230lbs. He seems to be out of shape (comparatively). You have to keep in mind Ritchie's body type can carry him through the OHL right now. He is a lot bigger then his peers and can physically "bull" his way around people. This won't fly in the NHL

I also can't help but get the impression people think Ritchie is the next Lucic. Let's get one thing straight, he's not. If you've been watching the playoffs the last few season this year in particular, you realize the need for speed and physical play. This screams Vitranen more then ANYONE in the draft.

Not that I'd be disappointed with Ritchie. But assuming there's no fallers, I'd be upset taking Ritchie over JV. I can't think of a single thing about JV that reminds me of Booth. Saying JV is like Booth is like saying Ritchie is like Lucic, it's just not true. Although they may share some qualities they're not accurate comparisons.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
For 6th overall I have:

Ritchie
Virtanen/Ehlers
Nylander

Ritchie's shot is actually very good. It's a very heavy and quick release. I don't think there is much of a difference between jv and ritchie in terms if their shot. The difference is in their overall speed.

My pick would be ritchie as well. Just seems to have more dimensions to his game.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Fair enough. But as far as I can tell Vitranen is in better shape, more athletic, faster, more consistent, better shot, better release all while being a lot younger.

When I see Ritchie I see a guy with concussion issues already with constancy concerns. Not to mention he's a "soft" 230lbs. He seems to be out of shape (comparatively). You have to keep in mind Ritchie's body type can carry him through the OHL right now. He is a lot bigger then his peers and can physically "bull" his way around people. This won't fly in the NHL

I also can't help but get the impression people think Ritchie is the next Lucic. Let's get one thing straight, he's not. If you've been watching the playoffs the last few season this year in particular, you realize the need for speed and physical play. This screams Vitranen more then ANYONE in the draft.

Not that I'd be disappointed with Ritchie. But assuming there's no fallers, I'd be upset taking Ritchie over JV. I can't think of a single thing about JV that reminds me of Booth. Saying JV is like Booth is like saying Ritchie is like Lucic, it's just not true. Although they may share some qualities they're not accurate comparisons.

Ritchie isnt some slow slug and youre right when you say he isnt the next Lucic. Id say he is much more advanced than Lucic was at the same age. Ritchie has decent speed, which will improve like Kassian once he sheds some weight. Anyone think Kassian is slow? no, and Ritchie is faster than Kass was at the same age.

as for bullying his way because of his size advantage...How do you suppose Ritchie scored 40 goals while not having a ton of talent around him? He has a wonderful skillset thats why. This isnt Hunter Smith situation.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I never said Ritchie was slow. The only negative I mentioned was Ritchie's weight. People often compare players just because they share some of the same qualities.

Meyers isn't Chara just because he's tall
Ritchie isn't Lucic just because he's big
Virtanen isn't Booth just because he drives to the net
Etc..

But if you're comparing Virtanen to Ritchie facts are facts. Virtanen has a better shot, a lot faster, more consistent and plays physical. Fact it's well Ritchie is carrying excess fat, and has concussion issues. I would be happy with either but I'd be more pleased with Virtanen

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I like Ritchie or Ehlers at 6th, if we don't trade up for Reinhart I wouldn't mind LD dropping to us at all.

cc

Feb 28, 2002

If you watch the highlights of Ritchie's goals, you will see that a lot of his goals aren't merely bulling his way through. Most of his goals are from having a great shot.

If you looked at more recent pictures of him, you wouldn't say that he was soft. He works out a lot now but probably not in every right way. Put him on kassians workout and diet and shedding some bulk shouldn't be too difficult

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

LA and Boston aren't speedy teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad