The All-Purpose 6th Overall Discussion Thread PT IV (MOD Warning Post 554)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

Nice find. He had Ehlers ranked 27th. First time I've seen him ranked in the top 30 before the start of this season.

It's interesting to note how few guys that have been major draft year risers have gone on to disappoint. Ehlers is the biggest riser in this draft - potentially the biggest in the last 5-10 years. Is it safe to say Fabbri is the 2nd biggest riser projected to go in the top half of the 1st rd?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Nice find. He had Ehlers ranked 27th. First time I've seen him ranked in the top 30 before the start of this season.

It's interesting to note how few guys that have been major draft year risers have gone on to disappoint. Ehlers is the biggest riser in this draft - potentially the biggest in the last 5-10 years. Is it safe to say Fabbri is the 2nd biggest riser projected to go in the top half of the 1st rd?

Potentially Fiala as well

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
I think it's possible that Nikita Scherbak might be the biggest riser of them all. If you look back to before this season he seems to be almost unheard of. One of the last picks in the import draft, never played internationally for Russia, wasn't even listed by CSB on their preliminary 'watch' list. Ehlers was listed as a B skater, and there's only about 20 A skaters.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I think it's possible that Nikita Scherbak might be the biggest riser of them all. If you look back to before this season he seems to be almost unheard of. One of the last picks in the import draft, never played internationally for Russia, wasn't even listed by CSB on their preliminary 'watch' list. Ehlers was listed as a B skater, and there's only about 20 A skaters.

He is. No one had even heard of him in Russia, let alone in NA. Still think we need to find a way to get another pick and grab either him or Barbashev. Those two are going to be major players, IMO.

As I said, look at the Ehlers thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1505805

Oh, and Heinz Ehlers, his dad was the first ever Dane to get drafted :) Just so you guys know.

And BTW.. The mock's I have seen so far, have had him as a 1st rounder or very early 2nd round.

If he explodes in Halifax, he could go into the top 10.

Well there go my hopes of the Canucks drafting him. He'll probably go top 15 now.

Nikolaj may become the highest-drafted Dane-born player, making Danish Hockey history like his father Heinz did in 1984 becoming the first Danish player to be drafted in the NHL by the New York Rangers.

My thoughts on Nikolaj... Is a very good passer with excellent offensive skills, a good shot and sound hockey sense. He is also usually defensively responsible and has a good frame. Shifty, he works hard, is creative and can also produce in the clutch.

Still seems to be adjusting to the Canadian Junior Game. Needs to become a better player along the wall, where he has the size to dominate--but rarely does. But should continue to developing in the right direction solid mid 1st round pick in 2014.

NHL Career Potential Comparison: Patrice Bergeron

SunshineRays

Mar 8, 2012
Gilman discusses the 6th overall a little bit, but really just two players in Reinhart and Virtanen. Elaborated more on JV, gave him some nice words. Wish he elaborated on others or had a longer interview!

I hope they don't do something crazy like draft local boys to appease an angry fanbase when there are better players available. That's my biggest fear this summer.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
1. You used the comparison to illustrate why you thought Ritchie was a better pick than Ehlers. You indirectly compared the two, even if that wasn't your point. If you wanted to make a relevant comparison as to size of the two affecting defensive abilities and hence ability to perform on the third line a better comparison would have been Raymond vs Clifford as those two moor accurately represent the size of the two players you are comparing them to.

2. This point is just a disagreement in philosophy, nothing more really to be said.

3. You attempted to use certain teams to illustrate why you need more size on the third line. I did the same as you, showing that it is not necessary to have successful teams. How is this point invalid or any different from you bringing up certain teams?

1. I think Ritchie is the better pick overall. I've said so directly. However, this is only about the floor of each player, not the overall projection. Their respective floors were challenged so I offered my rationale. I used JS and ZK to explain that rationale, not to compare them to JS and ZK. The test to this is that you could replace Schroeder with Raymond and the general sentiment would hold.

2. Sure.

3. It's an invalid point because the question is which do teams/coaches prefer, ideally, in that role. Not about what is passable for that role. LA and STL push for this archetype. That's what these teams are known to do, generally.

Willting*

What's the deal with Reinhart? I find him very unimpressive.

He's expected to go first. That's all my post was referring to. :)

Reinhart slows the game down so his playstyle is different from the more explosive top picks of past years. Might put some people off.

Better info than I can give you found here:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...te-nhl-scouting-report-for-top-draft-prospect
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/1...t-taught-thats-in-his-blood-thats-in-his-dna/

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I hope they don't do something crazy like draft local boys to appease an angry fanbase when there are better players available. That's my biggest fear this summer.

I personally have Virtanen a bit below Ritchie, Nylander and Ehlers, but it wouldn't really be much of a reach to take Virtanen at 6. If they do it, it had better be for hockey reasons and no PR reasons.

Reinhart at #1 if they trade up would be fine. Either Reinhart or Ekblad at #1 would be good choices, so going local isn't reaching at all.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Some Isles fan in the main board suggested he thinks the Isles may go with Nick Ritchie at 5. Him or MDC.

He said he heard a Snow interview where he discussed the possibility of drafting for a need, which is winger for the Isles.

Patchey*

Some Isles fan in the main board suggested he thinks the Isles may go with Nick Ritchie at 5. Him or MDC.

He said he heard a Snow interview where he discussed the possibility of drafting for a need, which is winger for the Isles.

MDC is a winger. Draisaitl is a possibility for us if Edmonton takes one of the top 3, Calgary takes MDC and the isles take a winger. That would be nice

Love

Feb 29, 2012
MDC is a winger. Draisaitl is a possibility for us if Edmonton takes one of the top 3, Calgary takes MDC and the isles take a winger. That would be nice

I realize that. That's why I posted:

But yes I agree with you that if Edmonton takes Bennett at 3 it may be most beneficial for us, allowing LD to possibly fall.

Nov 1, 2011

Benoit Pouliot comes to mind.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I've never been so pumped for the draft.

I know it's not likely but if we could somehow move up to get Reinhart.... North van kid..franchise centre... Damn

People might stop blabbing about bringing Ryan joh home

Patchey*

I've never been so pumped for the draft.

I know it's not likely but if we could somehow move up to get Reinhart.... North van kid..franchise centre... Damn

People might stop blabbing about bringing Ryan joh home

We will never stop blabbing about bringing BC boys home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad