The All-Purpose 36th Overall Discussion Thread

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Where does Benning say he doesnt want skill? Skill is very subjective. Some people would say Robbie Schremp has skill, but that never translated. some people would say Kesler doesnt have skill yet he ended up scoring 40 goals in a season.

Benning wants skill, but prefers bigger/stronger players with skill. When Benning drafts someone with size but no skill you can complain.

Sorry, what some of us mean by 'skill' is 'vision', 'creativity', 'play-making', 'puck control' ...

Virtanen and McCann are both straight ahead guys... go in, shoot, retrieve puck (McCann to a ever so slightly less extent).

There's no puck distributors anywhere in the Canucks system at all... other than the Sedins and Schroeder (who is likely gone).

Bonino might be able to be there too.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Sorry, what some of us mean by 'skill' is 'vision', 'creativity', 'play-making', 'puck control' ...

Virtanen and McCann are both straight ahead guys... go in, shoot, retrieve puck (McCann to a ever so slightly less extent).

There's no puck distributors anywhere in the Canucks system at all... other than the Sedins and Schroeder (who is likely gone).

Im guessing with all the capspace that's what Free Agency will be all about.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
In arguably the best draft in the last 20 years... Patrick White was also touted as a 3rd line center...

The Patrick White pick really was out of left field that year, I think McCann has overall a much better chance at ever being an NHL'er.

I do think it was a "safe pick" and surprisingly popular on the main board.

Id like to see a large boom or bust factor in the 36th pick. I doubt Barbashev will be left though so I hope for large centers or puck moving d men please!!

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006

Kassian and Shinkaruk if he makes it.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Benning could be lying about not going after a Russian player.........someone mention he is a fan of a Bruin russian prospect

Not sure Benning is capable of fibbing. Last 48 hours have seen hemorrhaging of insider info that has proven accurate. Not sure they can keep a secret.

No point in getting hopes up and talking Barbashev given:
-high likelihood will be gone by 36
-not "meat & potatoes" enough for our GM

2nd round is traditionally good for D. One or both picks should be used. I expect skating and size will continue to be emphasized at all positions.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
1. Barbashev
2. Lemieux
3. If both are gone then in Benning I trust
4. If they pass on either I cry

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Ryan MacInnis... though you need to go bridge watching for Feebs after. :nod:
Lions Gate is only 10 minutes away and i would get to create a traffic jam that lasts 2-3 hours. It'll be great fun for all involved. :laugh:

I'm hoping he is gone with STL's 33rd.

-------

With Barbashev unlikely to be picked... my choices for 36/50 go to Lemieux/Pollock/Donato/Bunting/Hawryluk/Kase/Kirkland for the forwards. For the D, Mayo/Siebenaler/Vanier/Masin.

I think Lemieux will be taken before us, so like it has been in the draft threads, my ultimate target is Pollock :nod:

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Guys that aren't the big name guys left, but worth a look?

Eric Cornel, Justin Kirkland, and Ryan Donato.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Maybe even, complete off the board and select Anton Karlsson.

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
in that context I think Benning was talking specifically about the #24 overall.

"no we didn't consider a Russian [at that pick]"

I don't think it's crazy that they take Barb/Kam if they slide to #36.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Wasn't Khoklachev a Benning project? Why are we accusing him of being a xenophobe, in that case?

EDIT: here we go.

Alex Khokhlachev was one of Benning’s pet players in the Bruins organization, and it will be interesting to see if the Russian prospect’s name pops up in any subsequent trade talks between the Bruins and Canucks this summer.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hopefully show a willingness to go beyond safe here and consider people like Masin, Petterson or Kamenev

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Wasn't Khoklachev a Benning project? Why are we accusing him of being a xenophobe, in that case?

EDIT: here we go.

We all know that he drafted Khoklachev, in fact, there were rumors all over the place suggested that Benning wanted to go and acquire Knoklachev.

What happened, was Benning was interviewed after the first round, and was quoted saying that he wasn't looking into Russians, and wanted more of a "meat and bones" type of players. Which, is odd to begin with, since Barbashev plays like a North American.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Meat and Potatoes players

Brendan Lemieux (C)
Cornel (C)

Iverson (C)
Anton Karlsson (LW)
Point (C)

If I had to guess who Benning was looking at I'd look at those guys. Too bad about Russians if true, I can't think of a "meat and potatoes" guy than Barbashev.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
They better pick Barbashev here if he falls.

Lists the Canucks as one of his fav teams just to boot. I wonder if they'd trade up for him if one of the teams picking at 31 or 32 doesn't mind moving back a few spots.

Burr08

Mar 5, 2014
I hope they move up to 31 or 32 to grab Barbashev.

Kids gonna be pain to play against and got skillzz

I think theres a talent drop off after Barbashev and to a lesser extent Mckeown and it'd be worth it to

package the 36th pick with our 3rd rounder to move up

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I hope they move up to 31 or 32 to grab Barbashev.

Kids gonna be pain to play against and got skillzz

I think theres a talent drop off after Barbashev and to a lesser extent Mckeown and it'd be worth it to

package the 36th pick with our 3rd rounder to move up

My nightmare now is the Oilers end up with Barbashev. Barbashev + Draisaitl is going to be a freaking nightmare in the future with RNH and Hall etc.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
You can never have too many centers, guys. Not every one of our prospects is guaranteed to hit the NHL and in their original position.

Maybe Gaunce transitions to wing, or maybe he never makes it in the NHL. You draft good players regardless of position. You want NHL talent, if you end up having a surplus then you trade it for a need.

Also if we're gonna pick a Russian I'd honestly rather have Vladislav Kamenev instead.

http://thehockeywriters.com/vladislav-kamenev-the-next-ones-nhl-2014-draft-prospect-profile/

Check him out. He should be available at #36.

We need d. Could not be more obvious. Stop with the tweener centers.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
My nightmare now is the Oilers end up with Barbashev. Barbashev + Draisaitl is going to be a freaking nightmare in the future with RNH and Hall etc.

Every year we say this about the Oilers.

RNH, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, (MPS back in the day), Schultz, so on

Until they can put it together, I'm not going to worry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad