The All-Purpose 36th Overall Discussion Thread

Ventana*

Looking at McKenzie's final rankings:

in 36th is Marcus Pettersson, 6' 4'' Swedish defenseman... Gradin is sure to have filled in the team on him...

Anyway, who are the best 6 available?

Totally forgot about Pettersson. Would like him as a pick.

Another player that you could pick up late who could be a beast of a 5-6 d-man in the future is Nikita Tryamkin. 6'7, 230. He's been passed over a few times. Would love him as a 6th or 7th round draft choice:

A huge defender with a cannon of a shot, Tryamkin is an intriguing prospect who has been oddly overlooked during two NHL Drafts. His size and puck skills are certainly interesting even for North American teams, who may have gleaned some good indications on his game during the recent WJC, where he was an important player on the Russian blue line. Tryamkin should work on his skating and positional play, but has some good intangibles.

Watched a bit of him, and looks like a guy that can easily be worked on to be groomed into a great bottom pairing shutdown guy with nastiness.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Looking at McKenzie's final rankings:

in 36th is Marcus Pettersson, 6' 4'' Swedish defenseman... Gradin is sure to have filled in the team on him...

Anyway, who are the best 6 available?

- Barbashev (C)
- McKeown (D)
- Demko (G)
- Lemieux (W)
- Pollock (C)
- Magyar (W)

IMO... Don't know enough about Karlsson or Pettersson.

Markfly*

Any way to watch the rest of the draft? Stream? I don't have Nhl channel.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Defenceman.

McKeown, Dougherty or Glover.

No,no,and no.You picked the three players I like the least in the second round...:laugh:

Seriously,this is an awful draft class for D-men and all three of those would likely be 3rd or 4th rounders in most other years.

There should be some decent forward talent left at 36,much better value there.

Last edited:

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
Exactly as I feared. Our GM is a bumbling idiot who shares the same idiotic philosophy as the likes of Don Cherry. How exciting it will be to see this team icing a full roster of grinders a couple years down the road.

He reminds me of The Dude, but with a touch of awkwardness/social anxiety.

lebowski.jpg

Just happy to be GMing and living life freely and stuff, man.

AE43.jpg

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
No,no,and no.You picked the tree players I like the least in the second round...:laugh:

Seriously,this is an awful draft class for D-men and all three of those would likely be 3rd or 4th rounders in most other years.

I can't wait for the defending if Barbashev or Pollock is there and they take Glover. :laugh:

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I can't wait for the defending if Barbashev or Pollock is there and they take Glover. :laugh:

Heck,I'd happily take Lemieux over any of those three D-men
I'm just praying that JB keeps his word and drafts forwards with his first two (Vancouver) picks.

Thankfully Quenneville is off the board so that's another safe,two-way centre gone but like you mentioned earlier,MacInnis could still be there.:help:

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
I think we really need to take a PMD at 50...we have as many 2 way Cs as we have defensive dmen! Christ Almighty let's fill some other holes in our lineup. Dynamic scorer as we can get at 36, PMD at 50 and 2 way offensive leaning dman at 66

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Man it sucks knowing there could be a faller with real potential but our GM will pass on him because he is Russian. And yes, he was clear. Botchford haters are pathetic.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
I wouldn't read into that hack Jason Botchford's wild extrapolation on what Benning meant.

botchford's article gives more context than his tweet and it's pretty clear that benning was referring to russians, even explicitly references the nationality:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/06/27/the-mid-summer-draft-day-van-provies-youve-been-missed/

BEST REASONING

You ready for the meat and potatoes Canucks?

The Canucks wanted size and edge with No. 6 and they knew they were either going to take Jake Virtanen or Michael Dal Colle.

“We zoned in on those guys,” Benning said. “It was either Dal Colle or Jake.”

The Nylanders, and Ehlers of the draft weren’t seriously considered at six.

“We wanted guys, if you watch the NHL players, you need guys with size and strength. Guys who can get to the net and deflect pucks to get rebounds.

“We were looking for that style of player. We were happy that’s where we ended up.”

Dare I say, Boston Model?

What about the Russians who were available at No. 24 when they took Bo Horvat Lite?

Specifically Ivan Barbashev?

“No, didn’t really consider a Russian,” Benning said.

And here comes the money quote:

“We’re going to get back to a meat and potatoes type style of in the trenches, play hard. So, we never gave it much consideration.”

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Benning could be lying about not going after a Russian player.........someone mention he is a fan of a Bruin russian prospect

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
No,no,and no.You picked the three players I like the least in the second round...:laugh:

I'm high on McKeown, could be a Bret Hedican type. (I mean that as a compliment.) Dougherty intrigues me. Glover I have the least feel for.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Where does Benning say he doesnt want skill? Skill is very subjective. Some people would say Robbie Schremp has skill, but that never translated. some people would say Kesler doesnt have skill yet he ended up scoring 40 goals in a season.

Benning wants skill, but prefers bigger/stronger players with skill. When Benning drafts someone with size but no skill you can complain.

maxell91

B.O.B.
Feb 22, 2012
Delta, BC
Normally I'd be against the canucks picking up another gritty two-way center, but Barbashev has more upside (great shot) than mccann or horvat. I hope they trade up.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Where does Benning say he doesnt want skill? Skill is very subjective. Some people would say Robbie Schremp has skill, but that never translated. some people would say Kesler doesnt have skill yet he ended up scoring 40 goals in a season.

Benning wants skill, but prefers bigger/stronger players with skill. When Benning drafts someone with size but no skill you can complain.

You mean a second rounder on an Alex Mallet or perhaps the infamous Patrick White?

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
What really pisses me off is the 2nd round is actually not a bad spot for 3rd line centers this year lol... why oh why McCann at 24th... man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad