The All-Purpose 36th Overall Discussion Thread

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Holy heavens lay off on the whole "Benning hates Russians" shtick. He made one kind of careless comment that was subsequently taken wildly out of context by our irritatingly sensationalist media ****heads.

Imagine this: You've just drafted Jared McCann who you really like as a prospect, some clown asks you, "did you consider drafting a Russian instead?" wtf is Benning supposed to say there? "oh yeah, we really weren't sold on McCann and thought really long and hard about drafting some Russian kid"? It was a ****** loaded question, and a brief "soundbite" quote that our idiotic media have taken and run with far beyond the bounds of anything reasonable.

Benning wasn't going to throw our recent #24 pick under the bus immediately by suggesting that they considered anybody else at all, regardless of nationality. That's bad practice. And the whole "Russian thing" in the context of what transpired just before that interview was a guy like Goldobin going, who absolutely does not play anything resembling the "meat and potatoes" game Benning is after regardless of the passport.

If anything is xenophobic as far as this whole "Russian Issue" goes, it's the hordes of posters who seem to be implying that Russians in general have some sort of intrinsically higher "offensive upside" because they are Russian, and it's total ********.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Holy heavens lay off on the whole "Benning hates Russians" shtick. He made one kind of careless comment that was subsequently taken wildly out of context by our irritatingly sensationalist media ****heads.

Imagine this: You've just drafted Jared McCann who you really like as a prospect, some clown asks you, "did you consider drafting a Russian instead?" wtf is Benning supposed to say there? "oh yeah, we really weren't sold on McCann and thought really long and hard about drafting some Russian kid"? It was a ****** loaded question, and a brief "soundbite" quote that our idiotic media have taken and run with far beyond the bounds of anything reasonable.

Benning wasn't going to throw our recent #24 pick under the bus immediately by suggesting that they considered anybody else at all, regardless of nationality. That's bad practice. And the whole "Russian thing" in the context of what transpired just before that interview was a guy like Goldobin going, who absolutely does not play anything resembling the "meat and potatoes" game Benning is after regardless of the passport.

If anything is xenophobic as far as this whole "Russian Issue" goes, it's the hordes of posters who seem to be implying that Russians in general have some sort of intrinsically higher "offensive upside" because they are Russian, and it's total ********.

Oy, this please!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
As far as the #36 pick goes, i'm fully on board the get Ivan Barbashev wagon. If that means trading up to the 1st pick in the 2nd round, get on the phones, get it done. Walking away from the draft with Virtanen+McCann+Barbashev would be an amazing haul.

If he doesn't fall to #36 or we can't deal up to #31, there are still a bunch of other players i'd be pretty happy with there.

-Roland McKeown wouldn't be the most exciting pick, but he's the sort of defenceman you see going in the early 2nd round who has the potential to really exceed projections and seriously outperform his draft position.

-Jack Glover would be about the opposite of McKeown as a pick. Big upside with his tools, but much riskier in his ability to apply those tools.

-Eric Cornel would be a nice pick, as long as the character/attitude stuff checks out.

-Brayden Point would be the "high risk" pick a lot of people seem desperate for. I wouldn't mind that, he has a ton of skill, though he is plenty tiny.

-Jack Dougherty would be an okay pick, though he seems more "safe" and "low upside" than i'd really want.

-Nick Magyar i really like. Probably a "reach" in terms of point production and ranking position, but he's got the ability to really blow up offensively and has a real "meat and potatoes" game with some untapped offensive flair if that's what we're after.

-Dominik Masin would make me happy as well. Has a wicked name, and plays a pretty projectable game.

Lots out there still at pick #36.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
if he can convert to a wing maybe. not alot of centres that size going to be effective in the West.

Yeah, there's no way Point is a Pro center. I think his game could translate to the wing, but in a more Patty Kane/Alex Hemsky/Alex Tanguay sort of way...the somewhat unconventional guys who like to carry the puck a ton on the wing and act as the "puck distributor" on the line...but can't handle the own zone responsibilities of a traditional Center.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
As far as the #36 pick goes, i'm fully on board the get Ivan Barbashev wagon. If that means trading up to the 1st pick in the 2nd round, get on the phones, get it done. Walking away from the draft with Virtanen+McCann+Barbashev would be an amazing haul.

Agreed. I'd rather an offensive forward at 24 to go with Barbashev and Virtanen but still Virtanen+McCann+Barbashev, you take that and be happy.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Not a fan of taking a goaltender with our third pick, especially when we traded contributing vets so that it would be this high.

I could see how someone would think this organization needs a top goaltending prospect though.

Off the top of my head, St. Louis got Fabbri and Barbashev? I would have been as happy with that as I am with Virtanen and McCann..

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Not a fan of taking a goaltender with our third pick, especially when we traded contributing vets so that it would be this high.

I could see how someone would think this organization needs a top goaltending prospect though.

Off the top of my head, St. Louis got Fabbri and Barbashev? I would have been as happy with that as I am with Virtanen and McCann..

That's just... a sobering thought. STL likely made out better than VAN here...

This org. continues to overvalue goaltending.

Ventana*

Totally forgot about Pettersson. Would like him as a pick.

Another player that you could pick up late who could be a beast of a 5-6 d-man in the future is Nikita Tryamkin. 6'7, 230. He's been passed over a few times. Would love him as a 6th or 7th round draft choice:

A huge defender with a cannon of a shot, Tryamkin is an intriguing prospect who has been oddly overlooked during two NHL Drafts. His size and puck skills are certainly interesting even for North American teams, who may have gleaned some good indications on his game during the recent WJC, where he was an important player on the Russian blue line. Tryamkin should work on his skating and positional play, but has some good intangibles.

Watched a bit of him, and looks like a guy that can easily be worked on to be groomed into a great bottom pairing shutdown guy with nastiness.

I totally guessed we'd pick him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad