TV: The All - Encompassing Star Trek Thread. Debate Long + Prosper

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I think I hate Mariner more then any character from any Star Trek show. She is still in Starfleet with all the BS she pulls and to make it worst has both parents being high ranking officers. Hate seeing people with powerful family members getting away with BS.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I wish they do more of these:

I recall an interview where Patrick Stewart lists A Fistful of Datas as his favourite episode lol. Part of the reason why I shook my head when people were happy to have him as a executive producer of Picard to "safeguard" the show lol.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I recall an interview where Patrick Stewart lists A Fistful of Datas as his favourite episode lol. Part of the reason why I shook my head when people were happy to have him as a executive producer of Picard to "safeguard" the show lol.
He was also constantly pushing for more action in the movies. He wanted Picard to get into fistfights like in Generations, for the action star stuff in First Contact, the few action scenes in Insurrection, and he had huge influence for Nemesis.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ Returning To Planet-Of-The-Week Stories & TOS Optimism, Says Alex Kurtzman

I think Strange New Worlds, under the guidance of Henry Myers and Akiva Goldsman, it’s going to be a return in a way to TOS [Star Trek: The Original Series]. We are going to do stand-alone episodes. There will be emotional serialization. There will be two-parters. There will be larger plot arcs. But it really is back to the model of alien-of-the-week, planet-of-the-week, challenge-on-the-ship-of-the-week. With these characters pre-Kirk’s Enterprise. I think what people responded so much to in all three characters is this kind of relentless optimism that they have. And that they are at the young phase of their careers.

They continue to say the right things. Mount was great as Pike and by far the best character Discovery has had, so I'm at least hopeful there. I also already know Mount can carry a show as he was very good in Hell on Wheels, so it's just a matter of how good the writing is.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ Returning To Planet-Of-The-Week Stories & TOS Optimism, Says Alex Kurtzman

They continue to say the right things. Mount was great as Pike and by far the best character Discovery has had, so I'm at least hopeful there. I also already know Mount can carry a show as he was very good in Hell on Wheels, so it's just a matter of how good the writing is.

I read that yesterday and considered posting it here to offer a rare bit of good Trek news. I then thought about it some more and figured that getting hopeful when Kurtzman is behind it is just setting myself up for disappointment. He's like a GM who can say the right things (ex. "we need to get stronger, faster and more creative with the puck"), but manages to louse everything up and deliver a mediocre on-ice product, regardless. I think that I'll expect disaster and if the show isn't one, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Blender

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Quoted from another board.

Boimler is hopeful, professional, sticks to the rules, believes in the Federation and cares about what it stands for. He represents old trek, and of course he is always wrong.

Mariner is cynic, rebellious, breaks the rules for the lulz, doesn't give a damn about the Federation and thinks it sucks. She represents nu-trek, and of course she is always right.

Reactions: Osprey

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I read that yesterday and considered posting it here to offer a rare bit of good Trek news. I then thought about it some more and figured that getting hopeful when Kurtzman is behind it is just setting myself up for disappointment. He's like a GM who can say the right things (ex. "we need to get stronger, faster and more creative with the puck"), but manages to louse everything up and deliver a mediocre on-ice product, regardless. I think that I'll expect disaster and if the show isn't one, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Well, Kurtzman said similar things about Discovery Season 2 and Picard, and he was full of shit, so I'm not that hopeful, but it's better than them telling us it will be edgy and new or something.

Anson Mount is apparently a fan though, and was committed to be faithful with the Pike character in Discovery. Hopefully that translates to the new show as well.

Reactions: Osprey

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Read somewhere that David Tennant wants to join Star Trek. That would be interesting.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I'd never heard of these guys, but I enjoyed watching it much more than I expected. Thanks.

They're a bunch of nerds who sit around drinking beer and making bad, but funny bad, skits and movies. They've been around for a while. They became internet famous when they did their Plinkett (A character they made) Star Wars prequel reviews. They're basically a deconstruction of the prequels and why they're so bad.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They're a bunch of nerds who sit around drinking beer and making bad, but funny bad, skits and movies. They've been around for a while. They became internet famous when they did their Plinkett (A character they made) Star Wars prequel reviews. They're basically a deconstruction of the prequels and why they're so bad.
Rich freaking out at the end of the last Picard review they did because Mike said they will be reviewing Discovery Season 3 was gold.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm not sure how I feel about the message being not following the rules. Yeah you want to do what is right, but this is still starfleet right? I think the message should have been about flexibility and making sure you don't wear out the crew. Of course this being Lower Decks, and it's late, there was the joke that went over my head.

I think it was a decent episode and I loved the use of buffer time and the end scene was great (Miles O'Brian being the most important person in Starfleet history) but it was kinda ruined with the Captain and Boimler scene. My initial score is probably a 6, but like last week I will need to rewatch this one.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Episode 3 is an improvement. It has a single plot that doesn't focus so much on Mariner and Boimler (or, at least, it mostly separates them) and I actually chuckled a number of times (compared to zero times in the first two episodes). There's still a lot of dumb in the episode, but it was decent and easily the best one so far.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Read somewhere that David Tennant wants to join Star Trek. That would be interesting.

He should have been The Riddler in a Nolan Batman film but back to Star Trek....

They've tried the serious established English actor in a lead role in Trek and it hasn't worked since Stewart, partially because he was the equivalent of "a KHL star coming to the NHL" in the mid-80s.

If there's a character for him great, have him fit a role but don't write a role for David Tennant. They got into trouble that way with McDowell, Elba, Abraham, Cumberbatch, and you can even argue Bana although I didn't hate Nero.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He should have been The Riddler in a Nolan Batman film but back to Star Trek....

They've tried the serious established English actor in a lead role in Trek and it hasn't worked since Stewart, partially because he was the equivalent of "a KHL star coming to the NHL" in the mid-80s.

If there's a character for him great, have him fit a role but don't write a role for David Tennant. They got into trouble that way with McDowell, Elba, Abraham, Cumberbatch, and you can even argue Bana although I didn't hate Nero.
There hasn't been an English actor in a lead role since Stewart. Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, Scott Bakula, Sonequa Martin-Green, and Anson Mount (if the series actually happens) are all Americans.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There hasn't been an English actor in a lead role since Stewart. Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, Scott Bakula, Sonequa Martin-Green, and Anson Mount (if the series actually happens) are all Americans.

He's counting the lead villain as a "lead role." McDowell, Elba, Abraham and Cumberbatch were all lead villains in movies. Come to think of it, most of the lead villains in Trek seem to be non-American. There's also Alice Krige (South African), Eric Bana (Australian), David Warner (British) and Daniel Davis (American, but spoke in a British accent to play Moriarty). I didn't realize until now that Star Trek was so "Americans vs Non-Americans" :laugh:.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He's counting the lead villain as a "lead role." McDowell, Elba, Abraham and Cumberbatch were all lead villains in movies. Come to think of it, most of the lead villains in Trek seem to have non-American accents. There's also Alice Krige (South African), Eric Bana (Australian), David Warner (British) and Daniel Davis (American, but spoke in a British accent to play Moriarty). I didn't realize until now that Star Trek was so "Americans vs Non-Americans" :laugh:.
Ah, I just try and forget most of the Abramsverse movies to begin with, and usually don't consider the villain of the week a "lead role in Star Trek" when they are just a foil for the actual lead.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Ah, I just try and forget most of the Abramsverse movies to begin with, and usually don't consider the villain of the week a "lead role in Star Trek" when they are just a foil for the actual lead.

Maybe I should have used "featured guest" or something like that. But yeah, one of the ugly trends in all of Hollywood nowadays is writing a part for an actor but not getting an actor to play a part. Most of the new Star Trek films have this problem.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well, we're back to dumb. After last week's watchable episode, in part because Mariner didn't have a big role, this week's episode is centered on her and all the worse for it. Why is it that the writers think that irritating is likable? This show could perhaps be decent if at least her character were given a personality makeover. As such, she's just ruining the show like Burnham has ruined Discovery.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well, we're back to dumb. After last week's watchable episode, in part because Mariner didn't have a big role, this week's episode is centered on her and all the worse for it. Why is it that the writers think that irritating is likable? This show could perhaps be decent if at least her character were given a personality makeover. As such, she's just ruining the show like Burnham has ruined Discovery.
I stopped watching after episode 2 and don't regret it. I still haven't seen all of Picard either.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I stopped watching after episode 2 and don't regret it. I still haven't seen all of Picard either.

I was half expecting you to watch Episode 3 just because I gave it a decent review, but then contradict me by trashing it :laugh:.

I'm surprised that you didn't finish Picard. It's probably for the best, though, since what happens in the end is really unforgivable.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I happened to catch the first bit of episode 4 after watching ds9

The first officer guy: "Its not my job to question your motives, captain."

Me: "YES, ACTUALLY. YES IT IS!!! THAT'S LIKE 90% OF YOUR JOB!!!"

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I was half expecting you to watch Episode 3 just because I gave it a decent review, but then contradict me by trashing it :laugh:.

I'm surprised that you didn't finish Picard. It's probably for the best, though, since what happens in the end is really unforgivable.
I couldn't take Picard. I think I made it to episode 2 or 3 and just couldn't do it, it was painful. Considering how bad I heard it got towards the end, it sounded like I made the right choice to not go back and watch it.

If episode 3 focused on Tendi and Rutherford I'm sure it was better, because those were the only decent characters in the first 2 episodes.

I happened to catch the first bit of episode 4 after watching ds9

The first officer guy: "Its not my job to question your motives, captain."

Me: "YES, ACTUALLY. YES IT IS!!! THAT'S LIKE 90% OF YOUR JOB!!!"
Yea, the first officer in Star Trek is generally in charge of the operation of the ship and providing alternatives to the captain. Not to be a mindless yes man, but the first officer in Lower Decks is a frat bro, so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad