TV: The All - Encompassing Star Trek Thread. Debate Long + Prosper

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched each episode from season 1 of Star Trek Lower Decks and I would say that was the best part of it all. The show sucks with its humor lacking in being funny and the constant mentioning of past things Star Trek and Mariner who is a horrible character. I wonder if anyone else put themselves through see all 10 episodes and what they thought.

I watched all 10 episodes and thought that only one of them (the 3rd, I believe) was halfway decent. I think that my impressions of most of them on a per-episode basis are in this thread if you read back a little. My overall thoughts are similar to yours: not funny, too many references and Mariner is an awful, irritating character.

I watched the first 4 episodes of Discovery. What do you guys think?

I think that you watched 4 episodes too many.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I watched each episode from season 1 of Star Trek Lower Decks and I would say that was the best part of it all. The show sucks with its humor lacking in being funny and the constant mentioning of past things Star Trek and Mariner who is a horrible character. I wonder if anyone else put themselves through see all 10 episodes and what they thought.

I got through 2 or 3 episodes and stopped. It wasn't funny and it was a terrible Star Trek show. I enjoyed the Rutherford and Tendi subplots, hated the 2 main characters.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

I liked it. It's light and fun, and it's still in the Star Trek universe.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Apparently Discovery has already been renewed for a 4th season even though they've aired a grand total of 1 episode from season 3. I look forward to the continuing adventures of MarySue SpaceJesus and seeing how she can do no wrong and single-handedly save the universe and all of time and reality.

This whole "super early renewal" thing is so dumb. I've seen shows where they don't even make it to air with their pilot yet but they magically get a second season renewal (and it exists as a separate thing from the season 1 launch, not that they were contracted for 2 seasons right out of the gate)

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
CBS/Paramount, having done all that they can (for now) to ruin our memories of TOS and TNG, are now supposedly turning their sights towards DS9:

Scoop: CBS Considering 'Deep Space Nine' Revival
If it's in the realm of what we saw in "What we left behind" Documentary it has a shot at being good. Avery Brooks hasn't acted since DS9. It would be great if they could get him back and out of the Wormhole.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I would be only interested in a DS9 revival if the main showrunners from that time were interested in doing it. But even towards the end of DS9, I thought they had made some missteps(Sisko's mother, the Pahwraith being lame villains were my biggest problems). But maybe with a show that doesn't have to make 26 episode seasons, maybe they could focus and refine it to be a good project.

If Kurtzman is still in charge, hard pass.

Edit: Also, even if it was good, it's still another totally different Star Trek project that is leading to fragmentation of the franchise(do you want it to harmonize with Picard?). Star Trek shouldn't be like comic books, but just focus on a era during a particular run, IMO.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
No way in hell are they bringing Brooks back, the guy has more or less disowned himself from the franchise. If you watch the Captains documentary, it is quite clear he wants f*** all to do with Trek.

With that being said, should he come out of retirement and prove me wrong I will eat all the crow.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I would be only interested in a DS9 revival if the main showrunners from that time were interested in doing it. But even towards the end of DS9, I thought they had made some missteps(Sisko's mother, the Pahwraith being lame villains were my biggest problems). But maybe with a show that doesn't have to make 26 episode seasons, maybe they could focus and refine it to be a good project.

Good luck getting anyone from the DS9 production/writing team back on.

CBS would have to pry RDM away from Outlander, For all Mankind, and Disney's new live action series. So good luck with that.

Berman, Livingston, Echavarria and Wolfe have all been retired from Trek for nearly 20 years

Pillar passed in 2005.

Literally the only person from the DS9 production staff still doing Trek related stuff is Behr, and I have a feeling that he has a very, very different version of Trek in mind for any DS9 revival than what CBS might think up.

Last edited:

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Good luck getting anyone from the DS9 production/writing team back on.

CBS would have to pry RDM away from Outlander, For all Mankind, and Disney's new live action series. So good luck with that.

Berman, Livingston, Echavarria and Wolfe have all been retired from Trek for nearly 20 years

Pillar passed in 2005.

Literally the only person from the DS9 production staff still doing Trek related stuff is Behr, and I have a feeling that he has a very, very different version of Trek in mind for any DS9 revival than what CBS might think up.

Thanks for the info. I just think things would be too weird as a sequel concept if they aren't the ones behind it.
Another thing too is that I don't think I could watch a DS9 sequel because Nog wouldn't be in it. :(

The last thing I want is more sequel or prequel series.

Agreed. I've been thinking for a while they should've ripped off that Andromeda show. Just have a show set in the far future so you can have a proper clean slate, do a Federation rebuild concept to shake things up technology/diplomacy-wise.
I'm actually really confused why they are exploring that with season 3 of Discovery. You just used a concept that would be a perfect launching point for a new era of Star Trek, and you're doing that in the third season of a TOS-prequel series??? (And will they just solve the problem at the end of the season?)

They just need to move past the TOS/TNG era completely. It still blows my mind after the Abrams movies that they thought they needed another TOS-era prequel concept. And the Picard stuff is just too jarring with the TNG era, IMO.

I'm just glad I got back into reading, the frustration I have had with franchises I used to love as a kid might've turned me into a bitter internet guy.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
CBS/Paramount, having done all that they can (for now) to ruin our memories of TOS and TNG, are now supposedly turning their sights towards DS9:

Scoop: CBS Considering 'Deep Space Nine' Revival

*opening scene. It's Deep Space 9. The war is over. Captain Sisko is gone, and life endures, if not in the same way it did before. At the desk in her new office, Commander Kira Nerys looks out the window at the wormhole as it opens, wondering if the captain is watching her. And if he's proud of the leader she's become.*

*the door opens. Lt. Dax steps in.*

Ezri: "Commander, I have our new science officer ready to meet you."

Kira: "Thank you, Ezri. Send them in."

*Ezri turns and beckons to outside the door. We see a low shot as a figure in a standard starfleet uniform walks past Lt.(JG) Nog, and Chief of Operations Rom. The blue cuffs on the wrists of the uniform are visible as they walk up the stairs and the camera drifts gradually upwards, focusing long on the office door and the serious presence that Commander Kira sets behind the desk*

*The doors to the office close.*

Ezri: "Commander, let me introduce Vice Admiral Michael Burnham. She's left her post overseeing Starfleet's scientific endeavors in the Delta Quadrant to take this post."

Kira: "So you were the one that discovered how to stabilize the Barzan wormhole and connect the Delta and Alpha Quadrants. And negotiate peace between the Borg and Species 8472. You seem a little overqualified to be a non-commanding officer on our backwater little installation, Admiral."

Burnham: "I guess I needed to get out of the office for a while. When I saw this position come across my desk for approval to post for applications, I decided that I would be the one to take the job. But don't worry. Just because I outrank you doesn't mean I'm taking command. I will respect the chain of command as my duties would dictate. Proper respect for authority is something my old friend and mentor, Flint, once taught me. He said I was the closest he ever got to having Rayna back again."

Kira: "Good to hear. Then your first assignment is to report to Commander Worf. You'll be joining him as the scientific advisor for the Defiant's survey mission of the Delta Quadrant."

Burnham: "Actually, no. Worf's going to be serving under me. I have some ideas on how to best survey with the Defiant and I don't care for you putting obstacles in my way when I've already proven myself."

Kira: "Alright. Sounds good. I'll tell Worf to report to you at 0800."

Ezri: *to Kira* "Isn't she amazing?"

***EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: AKIVA GOLDSMAN***

...and scene.

Reactions: Blender

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Please don't bring back DS9. Rene Auberjoinois and Aaron Eisenberg are longer with us and Brooks hasn't acted since 2001. The average age of the cast without DeBoer would be like 68. Not having Nog alone makes it non negotiable to me.

What Behr, Moore, and friends came up with for a Season 8 in What We Left Behind was perfect. Dark, twisted, and enough to get us to go "$^# you guys for killing off a loved character in Nog...but it's DS9 so it makes sense."

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I liked it. It's light and fun, and it's still in the Star Trek universe.

I just finished Lower Decks.

I definitely enjoyed it. It's amusing to me that what is essentially a self-parody is the best Trek to come out of this team by far.

Is it great? No. But it is fun and I liked it.

Also amusing to me that the "joke" character of Mariner is essentially a parody of Burnham, and yet somehow manages to be a far superior character....

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I just finished Lower Decks.

I definitely enjoyed it. It's amusing to me that what is essentially a self-parody is the best Trek to come out of this team by far.

Is it great? No. But it is fun and I liked it.

Also amusing to me that the "joke" character of Mariner is essentially a parody of Burnham, and yet somehow manages to be a far superior character....
I just started watching this the other day. I think I'm up to 6 or 7 now. Yeah, I don't mind it. I think I watched maybe one Discovery episode, did see the Picard series although I doubt I'll watch it again if they keep making it. Probably enjoying Lower Decks more than any Trek since DS9. Not that I'm super-into Lower Decks per se, but I'm liking it enough to actually watch it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
From another thread, where it was off topic:
Considering Star Trek is a liberal utopia, it absolutely does. These channels complain about women being in prominent roles, ethnic and other minorities being presented in an equal way. In trek lore they're there as well. It Trek lore, the anti-sjw folks do not exist.

It sounds like you're suggesting that it's a "liberal utopia" because there are women and minorities in prominent roles, as if only liberals welcome that. FYI, conservatives do as well, so long as those roles are given for the right reasons. Star Trek used to be a great example of that, where anyone, regardless of gender, race or species, could rise up the ranks of Starfleet on the basis of merit. Now, we get Tilly going from an Academy cadet to the Captain's chair in only two years.

What you need to understand is that where liberals and conservatives often differ isn't so much the end goals, but how to achieve them. The nice thing about Star Trek is that it mostly presents a utopian future (a common end goal) without getting very specific about how it was achieved. That makes it somewhat apolitical and something that people on both sides of the aisle can take to.

You seem to disagree and believe that it's a future in which your side has won and your opponents have lost. If so, I think that you misunderstand the point of Star Trek. It's not to show how great the future would be if your political enemies didn't exist. If you believe that, then you're the kind of person who doesn't exist in that future, either. The point of Star Trek is to show all of us what to strive for and what we might accomplish if we move beyond the politicizing and partisanship and, instead, worked together towards our common goals. That's why Star Trek is something for all of us to appreciate and learn and take hope from.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
From another thread, where it was off topic:

It sounds like you're suggesting that it's a "liberal utopia" because there are women and minorities in prominent roles, as if only liberals welcome that. FYI, conservatives do as well, so long as those roles are given for the right reasons. Star Trek used to be a great example of that, where anyone, regardless of gender, race or species, could rise up the ranks of Starfleet on the basis of merit. Now, we get Tilly going from an Academy cadet to the Captain's chair in only two years.

What you need to understand is that where liberals and conservatives often differ isn't so much the end goals, but how to achieve them. The nice thing about Star Trek is that it mostly presents a utopian future without getting too specific about how it was achieved. That makes it rather apolitical and something that people on both sides of the aisle can take to.

You seem to disagree and believe that it's a future in which your side has won and your opponents have lost. If so, I think that you misunderstand the point of Star Trek. It's not to show how great the future would be if your political enemies didn't exist. If you believe that, then you're the kind of person who doesn't exist in that future, either. The point of Star Trek is to show all of us what to strive for and what we might accomplish if we move beyond the politicizing and partisanship and, instead, worked together towards our common goals. That's why Star Trek is something for all of us to appreciate and learn and take hope from.

:laugh: No, they don't. American conservatives only care about white men.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
:laugh: No, they don't. American conservatives only care about white men.

Spoken like someone who doesn't know any. I think that it's sad that you can be that uninformed and yet so sure of yourself. It's not a surprise, though, when you seem to put so little thought into what you read and say. I spent a lot of time thinking about what you said and then well over an hour writing and re-writing my thoughts to politely give you a different perspective... and, within minutes of posting, you read it and replied with a laughing emoji and political rhetoric. Why do I even waste my time with you? You have no interest in a discussion, only in posting extremely biased hot takes like the YouTubers that you're obsessed with, ironically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Spoken like someone who doesn't know any.

Oh, I know. I've played Star Trek Online on consoles for years with two 50+ republicans/conservatives, both former military guys. Neither is racist, nor even rich but they only care about white men. I literally stopped playing with them because I couldn't stand listening to their rants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad