Prospect Info: The all-encompassing Sam Morin thread [began in 2017]

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morin has always been clearly superior. He was only sent back down because Hextall wanted him to feel like he earned it. Recall that Berube wanted him on the roster.

Then after that Hagg had "veteran presence."

The whole process has been a man-high heap of rotting moles. The textbook guide for how not to develop talent or rebuild via draft.

The anger is deep in this one.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Dude. Calm down.

(S A R C A S M)

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ruck Over

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I don't think I ever worked harder than training at age ~15-17. Like 25-28 hours a week training plus a couple of games. Always having at best slight aches, tiredness etc, and at worst hiding in the toilets before training with head in hands trying to eke out an extra five minutes because my body was screaming at me before I even got in the pool. And I did not have the work ethic to get past the level of a jr. national team "squad" member, not even a guy who played, just on the ~25-30 man squad for camps and in selection pool. I trained with/played with 5 of the guys who went to the Olympics in 2012, ~4 years after I pretty much dropped off, and all of them just had a different gear, unreal dedication (and we lost every game still). I mean, the physical challenge ofc is hard, but for me the mental aspect was harder. Constantly motivating yourself to do things you "have" to do that hurt/are physically unpleasant. I mean, I LOVED playing, but training could be complete hell.

For me working - now - ~40 hours a week requires less effort and is not as taxing, same goes for when I first left Uni and was working 45 hours with a 2 hour commute every day in a job I hated. Getting a Law degree and then a Masters degree was also easier.

Now I would counter that to a degree by saying that 28 year old me is way more equipped for the mental challenges that playing sport to a high level throws at you than I was at 15-17 (I could certainly train harder now than back then and "enjoy" it, I know my body better for one, and mentally being this age is waaaay easier than a teenager due to a fully developed brain, hormone differences etc!)... but that is the same for everyone, and the reason so many athletes drop out in their teens... but the ones who stay are generally, 90% of the time or so, guys with simply immense work ethics and mental strength, who as a teenager can push themselves to a degree that most cant. (talent of helps too!)

It prepared me really well for the "real" world though (though I am also pretty lucky to do a job I enjoy!). Discipline, self-motivation, self-respect, work-ethic etc.
Great post. I would add that many of these athletes would excel at multiple sports but the passion for the game is so important to be able to spend so many hours doing it. My cousin was an incredible world class skier but his passion was ice hockey so instead of devoting his time to skiing he moved to Sweden as a 15yo to play hockey. As an 18yo with limited training he finished fourth in the Olympic trials and although he played college hockey he wasn't drafted or good enough to turn pro. Now he is one of the orthopedic surgeons for the US Ski team and still his passion is hockey.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
The timing seems unique here because it was on a two-week conditioning assignment instead of a demotion requiring waivers. Has this ever happened before?

From 13.8 of the CBA:
"The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club."

Guessing the big club is going to have to carry him on LTIR for the rest of the year, even though the injury was sustained in a minor league game. Or?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Where the injury happened doesn't matter for the cap.

I feel terrible for Sam. He's had nothing but bad luck since since playing 150 straight games his first two pro seasons.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad