Prospect Info: The all-encompassing Sam Morin thread [began in 2017]

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's called being realistic. "Good" for Hagg is still pretty damned low quality. He's been getting worked on defense routinely. He still doesn't do anything at all to limit the other team.

Yup.

“Good” = Hagg didn’t single-handedly cause one or more goals against. :laugh:

He’s been so consistently bad that he has to be judged on a wildly different scale than anyone else on the team. It’s not about “how much did he help”, like the rest of the team, but instead “how much he hurt us”.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yup.

“Good” = Hagg didn’t single-handedly cause one or more goals against. :laugh:

He’s been so consistently bad that he has to be judged on a wildly different scale than anyone else on the team. It’s not about “how much did he help”, like the rest of the team, but instead “how much he hurt us”.
Ummm....Hagg has 1 point in 2 games this year. How many does Ghost have?

the same as Morin

Reactions: Jtown

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
If you want to continue the discussion, this article is from today (Oct. 22):

Flyers want to play Samuel Morin, but he'll 'have to be patient'

Morin, a 2013 first-round pick, has been a healthy scratch for the Flyers’ defense the first seven games of the season and new bench boss Alain Vigneault wants to play him soon.

“He’s a young man that hasn’t played a lot of hockey in the last couple years,” Vigneault said. “I’ve liked what I’ve seen in practice. I liked what I saw in exhibition. At this time our six Ds that are there are playing well. They’ve all had some good moments, some very good moments, and some so-so moments. None of them have played themselves out of the lineup so Sam’s gonna have to be patient. When we put him in, it’s not gonna be the ideal situation but he’s gonna have to play well.”

The difficulty is that Morin will have to be sharp coming into the lineup on the fly, having not played a game since preseason and there’s really no way to replicate a game experience in a practice.

Morin has 167 American Hockey League games under his belt, but only eight in the NHL. That’s too small of a sample size for the Flyers to really know what they have in him at this level and to put him on waivers and risk losing him for nothing isn’t a gamble they want to take.

“The only thing you can do is everything at full speed,” Morin said. “I just go really, really fast, the hardest I can. That’s the only thing I can do. In my mind it’s visualization. Sometimes I watch the games and I put myself in, I don’t know, Justin Braun’s shoes. Like, ‘What would I have done in that situation?’ I think right now that’s the only thing I can do, but be honest with you I feel ready. When I get my shot, I’m gonna play good.”

“He looks good in practice,” Hayes said. “I’m sure he’ll get his chance.”

The relationship between those two is rather new, considering Hayes just joined the fold in June.

Morin goes back much further with Shayne Gostisbehere, who was drafted in 2012 and tore an ACL in 2014. Their locker stalls are positioned next to each other in the Flyers’ practice rink and over the last year Morin has leaned on Gostisbehere for advice on how his rehab process went.​

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morin will get a shot at some point and it's up to him to seize the opportunity.
He blew his shot a couple years ago, he would have had 10+ games to win a job but got hurt.
That's life in pro sports, just ask Wally Pipp.

If he was blowing away AV in practice, he'd find a way to get him into the lineup.
So despite the words of praise, they're more encouragement than commitment.
I mean it's not that big of a deal to sit your #6 D-man playing 14-15 minutes a night to take a look at Morin for a couple games, or sit Braun for a game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This poor young man is making $2+M for 3 years, I'll save my tears.
I've barely made that for a lifetime of harder work than he'll ever see.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
None of them have played themselves out of the lineup so Sam’s gonna have to be patient.

giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lol, uwotm8? Thanks for proving you never played the game at a remotely high level.

Real life is a lot harder than practicing and hitting the gym, then having the rest of your day off.
There's a lot of people working two jobs to make ends meet.
Or working fulltime, taking care of kids and/or caretaking for relatives or parents.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Real life is a lot harder than practicing and hitting the gym, then having the rest of your day off.
There's a lot of people working two jobs to make ends meet.
Or working fulltime, taking care of kids and/or caretaking for relatives or parents.

I'm not discounting that at all, but it sounds very much like touve never played collegiate or semi professional sports. They're a job in their own right.

Playing sports seems like a very 'fun' job, but it has its own downfalls. claiming youve 'worked harder' than a professional athlete is a bit of a reach. If you honestly think its, practice, gym, then go home and relax, that just goes to further prove the point.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Haggs going to need to literally shoot the puck into his own net for them to take him out. :laugh:

He's actually been "fine" defensively so far. But..and this is just as important..he still hurting the transition game and hes still a total zero in the offensive zone.

The bar is so low for him that just not being awful in the dzone is enough to keep him in the lineup. It sucks.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's actually been "fine" defensively so far. But..and this is just as important..he still hurting the transition game and hes still a total zero in the offensive zone.

The bar is so low for him that just not being awful in the dzone is enough to keep him in the lineup. It sucks.
He's been extremely lucky and also has to thank Ghost for being such a great puck mover and saving his ass so often. :laugh:

And yeah, the fact that he's actively detrimental when it comes to both puck moving and generating offense means he'd have to be great defensively to be worth damn. What really blows my mind is he seems to think he's EK when in the offensive zone too.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not discounting that at all, but it sounds very much like touve never played collegiate or semi professional sports. They're a job in their own right.

Playing sports seems like a very 'fun' job, but it has its own downfalls. claiming youve 'worked harder' than a professional athlete is a bit of a reach. If you honestly think its, practice, gym, then go home and relax, that just goes to further prove the point.

Have you ever worked a professional job?
It ain't a 40 hour week gig. And there's no offseason.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Have you ever worked a professional job?
It ain't a 40 hour week gig. And there's no offseason.

You are an absolute trip, man. Your presumptuous tone is unbecoming of a man of your 'education'.

I routinely work 70+ hours a week in a 'professional' job, living comfortably in downtown Philadelphia, formerly in downtown LA/Long Beach. I also dedicated my younger life to hockey, playing at a very high level, until concussions and the subsequent post concussion symptoms forced me to 'retire' from the game. I'm well aware of, and painfully familiar with, the arduous tasks that are required of both. While I have absolutely no intention of ignorantly accusing you of never holding a professional job ( i actually hold the education field in high esteem), I think you are grossly and incredibly ignorant of the amount of work that goes into the life of dedicating yourself to being a professional athlete.

Despite constantly challenging you (to an extent) on your analysis, i generally appreciate your analytics driven approach to the game. Not that this is a badge of honor or anything, but it's the reason i did not place you on ignore, like the other two clear trolls that frequent this board. You at least bring data driven (albeit often misguided) arguments to the table, and I can respect and appreciate that, even if i dont always agree with it. That being said, the game isnt played on spreadsheets, and there isnt one single stat, or even set of, that defines a player or players. Pretending like your stats ( and consistent use of only a small sample of stats, at that) gives you some sort of inherent and defining knowledge to the game is, well, laughable.

Back to the original point - I believe you've mentioned before that you've got a PhD, and if that is the case, i greatly respect that. I'm sure theres a lot of work that goes into that, something im not sure i could ever dedicate myself to. I hope one day you are able to appreciate the simple humility of respecting the dedication and work that other people put into their professions, instead of pretending as though the life you've led is that of some sort of mid 19th century laborer.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
You are an absolute trip, man. Your presumptuous tone is unbecoming of a man of your 'education'.

I routinely work 70+ hours a week in a 'professional' job, living comfortably in downtown Philadelphia, formerly in downtown LA/Long Beach. I also dedicated my younger life to hockey, playing at a very high level, until concussions and the subsequent post concussion symptoms forced me to 'retire' from the game. I'm well aware of, and painfully familiar with, the arduous tasks that are required of both. While I have absolutely no intention of ignorantly accusing you of never holding a professional job ( i actually hold the education field in high esteem), I think you are grossly and incredibly ignorant of the amount of work that goes into the life of dedicating yourself to being a professional athlete.

Despite constantly challenging you (to an extent) on your analysis, i generally appreciate your analytics driven approach to the game. Not that this is a badge of honor or anything, but it's the reason i did not place you on ignore, like the other two clear trolls that frequent this board. You at least bring data driven (albeit often misguided) arguments to the table, and I can respect and appreciate that, even if i dont always agree with it. That being said, the game isnt played on spreadsheets, and there isnt one single stat, or even set of, that defines a player or players. Pretending like your stats ( and consistent use of only a small sample of stats, at that) gives you some sort of inherent and defining knowledge to the game is, well, laughable.

Back to the original point - I believe you've mentioned before that you've got a PhD, and if that is the case, i greatly respect that. I'm sure theres a lot of work that goes into that, something im not sure i could ever dedicate myself to. I hope one day you are able to appreciate the simple humility of respecting the dedication and work that other people put into their professions, instead of pretending as though the life you've led is that of some sort of mid 19th century laborer.

I hope he had the balls to give you a decent response and an apology.

I can't tell because I have him on ignore.

I highly suggest you do the same.

Reactions: Asnito and Striiker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad