Prospect Info: The all-encompassing Sam Morin thread [began in 2017]

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I think you need to finally take off the Stevie Wonder glasses since the Flyers have the best or 2nd best prospect pool in the NHL as ranked by media organizations with no ties to this forum. The circle jerk was all in your head.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-best-farm-systems-2017-ranking/
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...op-10-nhl-prospect-pools-after-the-2017-draft
http://www.dobberprospects.com/2017-organizational-prospects-rankings/
http://cdn.espn.go.com/nhl/insider/...pipelines-all-31-teams-heading-2017-18-season

Are you upset over Morin getting beat by Nolan Patrick? Regardless of the quality of the shot Morin was beaten by NP. Anyone suggesting otherwise isn't seeing reality. Coming up with some strange propositions to suggest Morin didn't get beat is silly.

Do you spend all your time looking to instigate things? Seems like you all hell bent on digging up things said to try and justify some wacky point of view of yours. Did you list some articles that say the flyers have some great prospect pool? Sure, do I care in this instance? No. You guys love to throw media people under the bus for not having a clue but you'll use it to help justify your stance.

Morin getting beat by NP is a great example of this circle jerk.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
He was good but I have one criticism with him that I brought up in the GDT.

I was at the game tonight and he was amped up to start, but he was a little bit too aggressive, going for the big hit. However when he went for the big hits he would take himself out of position. He needs to learn to pick his spots and not get overly aggressive.

He also did a few things that the ref didn't notice that would have likely been called during the season. For example long after the play was gone he slashed the stick and broke the stick of an Islanders player while leaving the ice.

But overall, I thought he had a nice game and think he is nearly a lock to make the roster.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
He was good but I have one criticism with him that I brought up in the GDT.

I was at the game tonight and he was amped up to start, but he was a little bit too aggressive, going for the big hit. However when he went for the big hits he would take himself out of position. He needs to learn to pick his spots and not get overly aggressive.

He also did a few things that the ref didn't notice that would have likely been called during the season. For example long after the play was gone he slashed the stick and broke the stick of an Islanders player while leaving the ice.

But overall, I thought he had a nice game and think he is nearly a lock to make the roster.

Yeah his checks while exciting were not necessarily effective at neutralizing the player and play. He will need to pick his spots a bit better and be more disciplined otherwise he will be in the box a lot. However, he looks to be a shoe in for a roster spot. I generally liked how he handled himself out there.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The AHL refs were calling perfectly clean hits as roughing last night, but I do think Morin will have to be careful in the NHL to avoid getting targeted by refs simply due to his size and strength.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Love how idiots are criticizing Morin for Patrick getting past him in a drill where he is..

-Starting at a disadvantage
-Playing on his offside
-Going against our top prospect
-Didnt allow a quality chance

Lmfao.

So disagreeing that Morin was "impressive" is the same as criticizing him?

Yeesh. Everybody aboard the groupthink superlative train.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He probably played 25 minutes last night so maybe that's worthy of more discussion than the 10 second video clip.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The AHL refs were calling perfectly clean hits as roughing last night, but I do think Morin will have to be careful in the NHL to avoid getting targeted by refs simply due to his size and strength.

Yes unfortunately he is the kind of player the refs like to make an example of.....only concern. He will need to be mindful of this. He definitely was getting under the Isles skin though with his hit attempts. If he hones his size...him and Gudas could wreak havoc on the psyche of opposing players.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He probably played 25 minutes last night so maybe that's worthy of more discussion than the 10 second video clip.

It's eerily quiet in here. No comments from anyone that made a big deal about Sam allowing Patrick to go wide on him and NOT get a quality scoring chance. :laugh:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It's eerily quiet in here. No comments from anyone that made a big deal about Sam allowing Patrick to go wide on him and NOT get a quality scoring chance. :laugh:

my biggest gripe is that people can look at a photo and say morin did not get beat. That is a troubling fact. I guess people are too prideful to admit when they are wrong.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I just don't know what there is to gain from a single drill in practice, if thats the length critics want to go to find a flaw, so be it. Every NHL player ever at one point got beat in a drill at some point. Its practice.

However I think it is fair to say that he has some things to work on like his positioning and agressivenesss

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
my biggest gripe is that people can look at a photo and say morin did not get beat. That is a troubling fact. I guess people are too prideful to admit when they are wrong.

The point was that he did a good job in a drill that is designed to be extremely difficult and he limited the best forward on the team to a low percentage chance while playing on his off side. Pretty easy to understand.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The point was that he did a good job in a drill that is designed to be extremely difficult and he limited the best forward on the team to a low percentage chance while playing on his off side. Pretty easy to understand.

right and listen i am not judging him by one freaking drill. But he got beat. ok. its black and white. Its ok, morin still is going to be a good dman for us. But on that individual drill he did lose the match-up. Nothing to be ashamed of and its speaks volumes about nolan patrick.

Yet some posters are on here denying he got beat which to me is silly, and pathetic.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
right and listen i am not judging him by one freaking drill. But he got beat. ok. its black and white. Its ok, morin still is going to be a good dman for us. But on that individual drill he did lose the match-up. Nothing to be ashamed of and its speaks volumes about nolan patrick.

Yet some posters are on here denying he got beat which to me is silly, and pathetic.
Losing the drill would be Patrick with a head start getting a quality scoring chance. He didn't get close and Morin if allowed would have killed Patrick on the play also. Who cares like you said it's just a drill and he's gonna bring what the flyers need on the blueline.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
That short clip of Sam getting beat (or not getting beat) by our #1 prospect isn't what concerns me about his game.

When he makes the big club, and I hope it's this season, I'll be watching his play with the puck. The quality of his decisions with the puck, and the speed of those decisions, will likely have a very large impact on his success at the NHL level.

He did a lot of good things against the Islanders rookies, but there was a sequence in the second period when he had the puck in our zone, mishandled it, and basically passed it to an Islanders forward for a dangerous chance. Fortunately, it didn't go in. In his post-game interview, Sam commented that he was "a little bit nervous with the puck sometimes."

With Sam's physical gifts, skating ability and great attitude he doesn't need to handle the puck like Erik Karlsson, Ghost, or Josh Morrissey (who's another story, for another post) to be a successful NHL'er. But he will have to settle in and consistently make the safe and sure plays with the puck while under the pressure of NHL level forechecking. I think that'll be his primary challenge and, as fans, it'll be important that we give him some critical space and time while he works his way through it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Losing the drill would be Patrick with a head start getting a quality scoring chance. He didn't get close and Morin if allowed would have killed Patrick on the play also. Who cares like you said it's just a drill and he's gonna bring what the flyers need on the blueline.

That's what I said yesterday.

If that exact situation occurs this year during a game and our D-man gets "beat" by only allowing a 1 handed backhander along the ice, I am 100% fine with that.

I view getting beat as Patrick...or whoever...getting a good scoring chance. That didn't happen.

As for last night, you could tell he was looking for a big hit. But overall, no issue with the way he played.

Guys are going to make mistakes. And when young D make them, it's more obvious as it can often lead to a scoring chance. I just hope this board gives these kids some leeway as we have been blessed with Ghost's and Provy's rookie seasons. They all won't be like that going forward.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He was???

Well at least you are in mid-season form.

Look closer. So the drill was:

a puck sits at the faceoff dot
The Dman stands at the blueline flat footed
The forward gets a head of steam going and the Dman isn't supposed to move until the puck gets touched.
The whole point of the drill is for the Dman to use crossovers as quickly as possible to build up speed to try and keep the forward to the outside.
That drill is one that is meant for Dmen to fail at. I would love to see how others did.

And fwiw, during a real game, if we have a Dman flat footed at the blueline while a guy is coming full speed and he can crossover quick enough to keep the forward to the outside and only "allow" a 1 handed shot on the ice when the goalie has the paddle down, I will view that as a great recovery by our Dman...even if it is AMac/Manning.

I thought we needed to keep Morin in order to trade Read?

:laugh:

Personally, I love this one from Jtown: Much rather have alt than gudas play that 6d role.

That's what I said yesterday.

If that exact situation occurs this year during a game and our D-man gets "beat" by only allowing a 1 handed backhander along the ice, I am 100% fine with that.

I view getting beat as Patrick...or whoever...getting a good scoring chance. That didn't happen.

As for last night, you could tell he was looking for a big hit. But overall, no issue with the way he played.

Guys are going to make mistakes. And when young D make them, it's more obvious as it can often lead to a scoring chance. I just hope this board gives these kids some leeway as we have been blessed with Ghost's and Provy's rookie seasons. They all won't be like that going forward.

are you flip flopping. yesterday you took a hard stance saying he didn't get beat. so just to clarify yes or no. did he get beat?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
are you flip flopping. yesterday you took a hard stance saying he didn't get beat. so just to clarify yes or no. did he get beat?

I guess you ignored...or didn't see where I said "beat".

Hence your version of getting beat and mine, are different....which is what I explained.

You view he got beat. I view that he he did not due to keeping Patrick from getting a legit scoring chance.

Oh....have you flip flopped on wanting Alt on the team vs Gudas??

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I guess you ignored...or didn't see where I said "beat".

Hence your version of getting beat and mine, are different....which is what I explained.

You view he got beat. I view that he he did not due to keeping Patrick from getting a legit scoring chance.

Oh....have you flip flopped on wanting Alt on the team vs Gudas??

gotcha, so morin did not get beat. ok

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I can't wait till this :dunce: takes another long vacation like he's done regularly ever since the lifting-weights-is-better-for-development-than-playing-in-the World-Champs-thing blew up in his face.

And he has the gall to accuse other people of not being able to admit when they are wrong. :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad