Prospect Info: The all-encompassing Sam Morin thread [began in 2017]

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I agree and acknowledged it is a hard drill for the defensemen. But I still think saying Morin's performance in the clip is "impressive" is going overboard considering he was basically beaten. I think sometimes the superlatives for Morin flow too easily because we want so badly to see it. I won't beat my dead horse any further as it comes across like a hater.

He was???

:laugh: it is a sad day when you cant state an opinion without being labeled. This post sums up this board so well.

Guess what. Morin did get beat in that clip. NOlan nutmeg him. But i guess i don't want to come across as a hater either so I will say Morin will probably become a first pairing all star dman.

Well at least you are in mid-season form.

Look closer. So the drill was:

a puck sits at the faceoff dot
The Dman stands at the blueline flat footed
The forward gets a head of steam going and the Dman isn't supposed to move until the puck gets touched.
The whole point of the drill is for the Dman to use crossovers as quickly as possible to build up speed to try and keep the forward to the outside.
That drill is one that is meant for Dmen to fail at. I would love to see how others did.

And fwiw, during a real game, if we have a Dman flat footed at the blueline while a guy is coming full speed and he can crossover quick enough to keep the forward to the outside and only "allow" a 1 handed shot on the ice when the goalie has the paddle down, I will view that as a great recovery by our Dman...even if it is AMac/Manning.

Maybe we can trade Morin for Etem? Who has his rights these days anyway?

Oh, it's Arizona. And he scored a point per game pace in the AHL last season.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20718

I thought we needed to keep Morin in order to trade Read?

:laugh:

Personally, I love this one from Jtown: Much rather have alt than gudas play that 6d role.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I don't think anyone has to "cover" for Ghost. But pairing him with someone who can break up opposing cycles would be handy, whoever that is.

Funny enough Provorov was actually #1 on the team at controlled exits last year over Ghost at #2. But then Ghost was #1 in controlled entries over Provorov at #2. They're both beasts is what I'm saying.

The numbers I'm looking at have Ghost above Provy in possession exits, only by a hair though. However I do feel like Ghost is painted as this useless offensive plug the same way Karlsson is talked about as 4th forward. Reading defensive play isn't easy and that's where people tend to stick to narratives more. That's why you see people claiming Filppula is good two way player and other nonsense.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Literally impossible to gauge that from a screenshot.

Patrick could have created a good chance on that play; but Sam didn't get beat clean like that picture shows.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't think anyone has to "cover" for Ghost. But pairing him with someone who can break up opposing cycles would be handy, whoever that is

I don't mean to imply that Ghost is hopeless defensively and needs some kind of savior. But the less he needs to worry about defense the more confidently and aggressively he can play in the offensive zone.

Putting him with Morin, who would likely be sitting just inside the blue line and ready to get back on D, is a whole lot more comforting than seeing Ghost with another offensive defensemen who wants to create offense... or even worse, someone like Manning who provides no offense but plays more aggressively than Ghost for some reason.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Morin was beat, it isn't hard to analyze that. Some of you refuse to take off the rose tinted glasses.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
By the time Patrick gets back possession of the puck he's already at the post, hence the weak one hand shovel on net. But that play right there is an example of why a LHD shouldn't play the right side (in a perfect world). It's an unnatural pivot and if the puck carrier gets to the Dman's right shoulder, all the defenseman has to defend with is one arm and a weak stick.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't mean to imply that Ghost is hopeless defensively and needs some kind of savior. But the less he needs to worry about defense the more confidently and aggressively he can play in the offensive zone.

Putting him with Morin, who would likely be sitting just inside the blue line and ready to get back on D, is a whole lot more comforting than seeing Ghost with another offensive defensemen who wants to create offense... or even worse, someone like Manning who provides no offense but plays more aggressively than Ghost for some reason.

No, I know how you meant it, and like I said, I agree that I want to see a stopper with Ghost because it is true he can be most vulnerable in the cycle.

I was trying to say that I think the idea of Morin (or whoever) just staying back covering for Ghost might be a little simplistic. They both need to play O and D. Like Morin has to be engaged in the offensive zone ready to pinch and keep plays alive too. If he's tentative to make a play for fear of not backing up Ghost, that doesn't help. Flyers activate their d-men constantly. Nothing is stopping Sam from trailing the rush, even though I don't anticipate him leading it or anything. There will be times Ghost has to cover for him, and that's fine as long as he's being smart about it. Obviously we know how the pair would tilt, but Ghost doesn't have to be a rover, and Morin doesn't have to turn to stone when the puck leaves his end. With any good pair there's give and take. The problem with a guy like Manning is there's only take (a crap).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hopefully Morin won't make "way too many defensive gaffes" like Provorov did last season. :sarcasm:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was trying to say that I think the idea of Morin (or whoever) just staying back covering for Ghost might be a little simplistic. They both need to play O and D. Like Morin has to be engaged in the offensive zone ready to pinch and keep plays alive too. If he's tentative to make a play for fear of not backing up Ghost, that doesn't help. Flyers activate their d-men constantly. Nothing is stopping Sam from trailing the rush, even though I don't anticipate him leading it or anything. There will be times Ghost has to cover for him, and that's fine as long as he's being smart about it. Obviously we know how the pair would tilt, but Ghost doesn't have to be a rover, and Morin doesn't have to turn to stone when the puck leaves his end. With any good pair there's give and take. The problem with a guy like Manning is there's only take (a crap).
This is something I want to see more from him and hopefully Hakstol (or whoever) can get him to do it more consistently. He's too big and too fast, to just sit back and retreat to the neutral zone.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No, I know how you meant it, and like I said, I agree that I want to see a stopper with Ghost because it is true he can be most vulnerable in the cycle.

Yeah, of course, I don't want Morin avoiding the puck like the plague or afraid to try to score. I'm just saying that Morin isn't going to be taking the same risks as a guy like Myers and Sanheim, or even Provorov. Ghost shouldn't ignore defense, Morin shouldn't ignore offense, but since each player clearly leans towards one or the other I think it's a good balance.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Morin was not beat. The shot was a nothing.

It was happened....I agree with Hatcher!

:naughty:

Not to mention, it was practice against out top prospect. Against an opponent in a game, Morin may have shoved him sending him flying into the boards.

Funny that a 1 handed shot along the ice is getting this much discussion.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
It was happened....I agree with Hatcher!

:naughty:

Not to mention, it was practice against out top prospect. Against an opponent in a game, Morin may have shoved him sending him flying into the boards.

Funny that a 1 handed shot along the ice is getting this much discussion.

What if the point of the drill is to see how dman will react to getting beat OR how forward will use the little time and space it gives him?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Patrick got a marshmellow shot off. if it was for real Morin would have played the body and knocked Patrick on his ass. Bottom line is you cant just skate by Morin. He was standing still and Patrick was going wide open and still counldn't turn the corner clean and get a good shot off. Let's not argue as that's a great thing to see and we'll see it soon on oct 4 when Morin makes the team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Putting Ghost with Morin or Gudas also puts the other team on notice that cheap shots come with a price.

And face it, Ghost can't do certain things, like go into the corner and wrestle the puck away from guys who outweigh him by 30 lbs, or move someone out of the crease. Having a partner in crime who provides a physical presence lets him focus on his strengths instead of exposing his weaknesses.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Morin was beat, it isn't hard to analyze that. Some of you refuse to take off the rose tinted glasses.

I think you need to finally take off the Stevie Wonder glasses since the Flyers have the best or 2nd best prospect pool in the NHL as ranked by media organizations with no ties to this forum. The circle jerk was all in your head.

When I see "Flyers prospect is better than blah blah blah" all the time I really question the validity of posters here. I try and come here to accurately gauge the Flyer's prospect pool but often times it seems like a huge circle jerk of making others on here feel good.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-best-farm-systems-2017-ranking/
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...op-10-nhl-prospect-pools-after-the-2017-draft
http://www.dobberprospects.com/2017-organizational-prospects-rankings/
http://cdn.espn.go.com/nhl/insider/...pipelines-all-31-teams-heading-2017-18-season

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Putting Ghost with Morin or Gudas also puts the other team on notice that cheap shots come with a price.

And face it, Ghost can't do certain things, like go into the corner and wrestle the puck away from guys who outweigh him by 30 lbs, or move someone out of the crease. Having a partner in crime who provides a physical presence lets him focus on his strengths instead of exposing his weaknesses.

Absolutely. Ghosts biggest weakness is size and strength, some of Morins biggest assets are size and strength. It just makes so much sense to pair them.

Plus, playing with someone as skilled as Ghost could help get the most out of Morins offense. Not that Gudas is bad offensively, but if Morin were paired with him it'd be pretty clear that the goal of that pair is strictly to shut down opponents. With Ghost, they'll spend time defending, but also significant time transitioning and then playing in the offensive zone.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Love how idiots are criticizing Morin for Patrick getting past him in a drill where he is..

-Starting at a disadvantage
-Playing on his offside
-Going against our top prospect
-Didnt allow a quality chance

Lmfao.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad