THE All Encompassing Jim Benning Thread Part III (Mod Post #175, 464, 625)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012
I love how you tacked on 8 years to Coach Willie. He's 57, not 65.

Last year was the worst I've seen the Canucks since the early 80's when I attended games at the old rink and people wore paper bags over their head..and the arena was half full.

The second year the Nucks won the Presidents trophy was also horribly boring. They found a way to win, but they could have dominated teams. The team became complacent and lazy.

I absolutely love what Linden and Benning have done. All the naysayers and complainers are just speculating. How about give it a few months into the season and then assess. Gillis was afraid to do anything and moved at a snails pace. AV lost the room.....Aquaman got too involved, realized his mistake and now we have people who are passionate about hockey making swift decisions. Will they all be right? probably not, but hey at least they are doing something.

I find it extremely comical how people disparage Benning, when the man has over 30 years of hockey experience as a player and a Stanley Cup winning assistant GM. If you can't understand that and want to base your opinion of the man about his speech, then maybe you should get an application as Province beat writer. :shakehead

I am trying to word this without veering into ad hominem territory, but you listen to how Benning talks and ... forget about how he is relative to other GM's, he just doesn't come across as a bright human being.

"Boninio scored 22 goals last year so if he scores 20 goals for us...he gives us goals." Thanks Jim. I am holding out hope that he's just not the best speaker, but it's painful to listen to these sound bits.

Dear Lord what has happened to this Franchise. And how many players did we acquire just because "the coach" likes him? And man, I just remembered our coach is a 65-year old NHL rookie. The more I think about this team the more depressed I get. Sadface.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I am trying to word this without veering into ad hominem territory, but you listen to how Benning talks and ... forget about how he is relative to other GM's, he just doesn't come across as a bright human being.

"Boninio scored 22 goals last year so if he scores 20 goals for us...he gives us goals." Thanks Jim. I am holding out hope that he's just not the best speaker, but it's painful to listen to these sound bits.

Dear Lord what has happened to this Franchise. And how many players did we acquire just because "the coach" likes him? And man, I just remembered our coach is a 65-year old NHL rookie. The more I think about this team the more depressed I get. Sadface.

Genius.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Last year was the worst I've seen the Canucks since the early 80's when I attended games at the old rink and people wore paper bags over their head..and the arena was half full.

The second year the Nucks won the Presidents trophy was also horribly boring. They found a way to win, but they could have dominated teams. The team became complacent and lazy.

a) you must've been in a coma for 25 years because there have been at least 10 seasons between the early 1980s and now that have been worse/more depressing than last season.

b) it continues to boggle my mind how spoiled people were by that 10-11 team, and that they can actually complain about the 11-12 team that wasn't quite as good. Do you actually think that a team could be the best in the NHL without trying? It's a ludicrous statement. They lost some offense with the departure of Ehrhoff and weren't as explosive as the previous year. End of story.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
a) you must've been in a coma for 25 years because there have been at least 10 seasons between the early 1980s and now that have been worse/more depressing than last season.

When was the last time you found a Canuck team less appealing as a whole than the group Gillis iced last season?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
When was the last time you found a Canuck team less appealing as a whole than the group Gillis iced last season?

We've had some bad Canuck teams in the past but none as unwatchable as last years crew.
I've followed the Canucks a long time and I can take losing ( it goes with being a fan of this team) but at least I want to be entertained. Last year was awful.

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012

No, I wasn't in a Coma, there have been many years over the past 20 where I've been too busy to see a lot of games. I said it's the worst "I've seen"

b) it continues to boggle my mind how spoiled people were by that 10-11 team, and that they can actually complain about the 11-12 team that wasn't quite as good. Do you actually think that a team could be the best in the NHL without trying? It's a ludicrous statement. They lost some offense with the departure of Ehrhoff and weren't as explosive as the previous year. End of story.

I just found the 11-12 team played boring hockey, just an opinion. Gillis didn't really do much to improve the team. We got Booth as the savior...brilliant

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
We've had some bad Canuck teams in the past but none as unwatchable as last years crew.
I've followed the Canucks a long time and I can take losing ( it goes with being a fan of this team) but at least I want to be entertained. Last year was awful.

I agree. Last years team was the least entertaining group in memory for me. How far the mighty have fallen from what Gillis preached about up-tempo, skill based, exciting hockey from when he was hired 6 years previous.

I don't think next years team competes, but at least Benning is putting an emphasis on skill, creativity and finish. Vrbata, Vey and Bonino hopefully bring enough offense to the table to at least make this team watchable again. Willie Desjardins could certainly help here as well.

If you're going to lose or be a middling team, at least entertain in the process. Don't stifle your way to a 25th place finish. Jesus Christ.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I would take this younger, more offensively inclined group over last years veteran group. Even if the team isn't really any better.

I guess the perception of it being younger is where we disagree. Instead of seeing how Lack progresses, I have to watch Ryan ****ing Miller. Our major scoring addition was 33-year old Vrbata. Okay, yes, we have Linden Vey. Maybe Horvat makes the team, that would be cool. But otherwise? the roster construction makes me want to vomit.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I personally found the 05-06 and 07-08 seasons more frustrating than last season but can see why others hated this season more.

But there can't be any argument that the string of seasons in the late 1990s were exponentially worse that what we saw last year.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I personally found the 05-06 and 07-08 seasons more frustrating than last season but can see why others hated this season more.

But there can't be any argument that the string of seasons in the late 1990s were exponentially worse that what we saw last year.

Frequent blowouts, poor goaltending, ****** coach, awful captain that was an egomaniac. I can at least watch knowing that Henrik Sedin genuinely cares about the fans and the team.

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley
I guess the perception of it being younger is where we disagree. Instead of seeing how Lack progresses, I have to watch Ryan ****ing Miller. Our major scoring addition was 33-year old Vrbata. Okay, yes, we have Linden Vey. Maybe Horvat makes the team, that would be cool. But otherwise? the roster construction makes me want to vomit.

Then I guess it sucks to be you.

If you get that wrapped up in stuff that you have no control over that it makes you sick, you might want to see a doc. They have meds for that.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

How does a bottom 9 as deep as ours make you want to vomit?

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
This year's team will actually be older than last year's in terms of average age.

While it is true we have 6 first round picks playing in other leagues. The youth movement is setting up over the next three years so that the team may be older this year should not be a concern.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Well, our younger players this year are better than the ones we had last year... Dalpe? Schroeder? Barf...

arsmaster*

I love how you tacked on 8 years to Coach Willie. He's 57, not 65.

I absolutely love what Linden and Benning have done. All the naysayers and complainers are just speculating. How about give it a few months into the season and then assess. Gillis was afraid to do anything and moved at a snails pace. AV lost the room.....Aquaman got too involved, realized his mistake and now we have people who are passionate about hockey making swift decisions. Will they all be right? probably not, but hey at least they are doing something.

I find it extremely comical how people disparage Benning, when the man has over 30 years of hockey experience as a player and a Stanley Cup winning assistant GM. If you can't understand that and want to base your opinion of the man about his speech, then maybe you should get an application as Province beat writer. :shakehead

Wouldn't you say the positive Polly's and the kool aid drinkers are also speculating the other way?

I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad