The All Encompassing Evander Kane Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I'm a fan of Kane's play on the ice, but am also tiring of the drama that surrounds this guy. Some want to blame that on the media following him here, but frankly, it is pretty obvious that he is fueling much of it himself of late.

Speaking personally, I've always viewed this team as one in transition from the old to the new. The expense of losing an individual versus the eventual gain of players that perhaps fit better into the market (or maybe are more aligned to the preference of management here) appeals to me on the macro. If Kane truly doesn't want to be here, then change is coming, bring it on. Change is often a good thing.

Whatever.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Perhaps there is more to it than just what has been reported, who knows? Regardless there are better ways to deal with that kind of stuff than sitting the guy. All that did was punish the entire team while they are faltering in the midst of a playoff run. Cutting off your nose to spite your face IMO.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
This appears to have ignited increased interest from other teams. Maybe this will turn into an episode of 'Storage Wars', where buyers start bidding like crazy without knowing exactly what is in the box. They just want it, don't want someone else to have it. :)

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm a fan of Kane's play on the ice, but am also tiring of the drama that surrounds this guy. Some want to blame that on the media following him here, but frankly, it is pretty obvious that he is fueling much of it himself of late.

Speaking personally, I've always viewed this team as one in transition from the old to the new. The expense of losing an individual versus the eventual gain of players that perhaps fit better into the market (or maybe are more aligned to the preference of management here) appeals to me on the macro. If Kane truly doesn't want to be here, then change is coming, bring it on. Change is often a good thing.

Whatever.

Hear hear. I love Kane as a player and as a personality, but holy **** am I tired of the incessant swirl of controversy that circles his every step.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Amid all of the trade speculation + he is shut down for the season for surgery, etc. is the question; is anybody going to trade significant assets for him before the wrist (or whatever it is) issue is resolved?

If Kane is shut down for the season due to an injury, I doubt he'll be traded until the off-season, at the earliest. It would really narrow trade options to teams that are not contenders.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This appears to have ignited increased interest from other teams. Maybe this will turn into an episode of 'Storage Wars', where buyers start bidding like crazy without knowing exactly what is in the box. They just want it, don't want someone else to have it. :)

Jets really only need two very interested buyers to get a decent return....

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
Amid all of the trade speculation + he is shut down for the season for surgery, etc. is the question; is anybody going to trade significant assets for him before the wrist (or whatever it is) issue is resolved?

wrist injury is most common among hockey players. non issue if you ask me. he could easily have had 4 concussions like Skinner.

Last edited:

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
My hunch is this is standard "duck-and-cover" TSNE tactics. They're gonna shut everything down until the craziness blows over. Which is wise IMO.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Hockey Central just said a colleague of theirs (Colby Armstrong?) who played with Kane says he once showed up for a game in sweat pants. The players in the room cut them off into short shorts.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I think Paul Maurice not only made the right decisions, but really the only decision. A team cannot have players acting as if they're bigger than the team, flaunting team rules. And showing up in a track suit is a very blatant flaunting of the rules, practically daring the coach to take action.

It doesn't matter if the rule is stupid -- employers are allowed to set whatever rules they want and employees must obey them. This is even more important in the context of a team sport. Letting this slide could have dire long-range consequences. This was short term pain to the team (being without an important player in a big game) for long-term gain (showing the team is bigger than any one individual, everyone must follow the rules equally).

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Maurice would bench ANY member of the team that did this. The thing is, none of the guys pointed out would.

People on this site talk about their appreciation for Maurice as an alpha male type coach. Kane showing up in a track suit is trying to challenge the alpha. The coach maintained his dominance as he must. Well done, Paul.

Now, I sure hope Gary Lawless is wrong when he says he thinks Kane has been playing injured all season and will -- being all ******** over this -- elect to get his surgery now. I actually don't see this happening, despite the disciplinary issue here I think Kane wants to play and especially if he wants to get traded ASAP he needs to stay in the game. On the other hand, I don't blame a guy for taking care of his body which is his main asset in this job.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Hockey Central just said a colleague of theirs (Colby Armstrong?) who played with Kane says he once showed up for a game in sweat pants. The players in the room cut them off into short shorts.

Who showed up in sweat pants? Kane, or Colby Armstrong?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Hear hear. I love Kane as a player and as a personality, but holy **** am I tired of the incessant swirl of controversy that circles his every step.

Me too. I like Kane for the same reasons you listed. But you either move forward, or move on. If he is moved...so be it. That's sports for you. Just another chapter in the franchise.

Actually I'd still follow him if he was. It would be very interesting to see how he plays, what role, with different teammates, with a different system, how he develops further, etc.

Let's see what happens, if anything. Actually I find this kind of exciting.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I think it's a mistake to trade Kane from a hockey point of view. But if Chevy and co. decide it's the best course of action, I get it.

Kane is a great player, but a hockey team is like an Olympic rowing team. You may have the best rower in the world, but you need to work in concert to achieve success.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
That is what is funny on HF. The chance of Kane possibly being available creates offers and threads from a dozen teams. And yet, people still want to say he won't return much.

If he's a player that would be wanted by multiple teams (and he should be as he fits a contender, AND a re-builder), it's not hard to imagine a bidding war with at least a couple serious teams.

The problem with this is that at the end of the day, some team has to pull the trigger on a deal that they believe improves their chances at whatever their goal is (winning now or winning later).

Giving up a significant amount for Evander Kane might well do that - and a handful of GMs probably believe this, too - but there's a line for everyone where winning the bidding war means "losing" the trade.

In other words, yes there could well be a bidding war for a player like Kane.. in particular because GMs (and fans) believe it's possible to get a rare asset for less than their typical cost.

You're not going to get a team that wants to trade a $10 and 3 $5's for a $20.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Who showed up in sweat pants? Kane, or Colby Armstrong?

Kane....millard didn't say who told him that, only that it was one of their colleagues. Armstrong was the only one I could think of.

But if the story is true this is not Kane's first wardrobe malfunction

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
Anyone who thinks Chevy will deal Kane when his value is low is out to lunch. Chevy seems like he would rather have a limb removed rather than make a player for player trade at full value, let alone at a perceived low value on a promising young player.

This will blow over...hopefully...

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
@garylawless: Evander Kane not at #nhljets practice today. Won't address media. Suspicion is he's having an undisclosed injury checked out. More to come

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The problem with this is that at the end of the day, some team has to pull the trigger on a deal that they believe improves their chances at whatever their goal is (winning now or winning later).

Giving up a significant amount for Evander Kane might well do that - and a handful of GMs probably believe this, too - but there's a line for everyone where winning the bidding war means "losing" the trade.

In other words, yes there could well be a bidding war for a player like Kane.. in particular because GMs (and fans) believe it's possible to get a rare asset for less than their typical cost.

You're not going to get a team that wants to trade a $10 and 3 $5's for a $20.

I don't think Chevy should be looking to move Kane for "less than their typical cost" myself.

Chevy hasn't moved Kane to this point, and Kane is under contract. I don't see the pressure on Chevy to move Kane for pennies on the dollar.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
It seems more likely that he would take the surgery now tact if he was not traded. I expect a deal like Coots, BSchenn and Streit for Kane, Postma, Peluso and a 2nd. Not saying it is fair but that is what I expect to go down quite soon. Teams in turmoil don't do well in the playoffs. Hope I am wrong about this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad