The All Encompassing Evander Kane Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I think that if Kane and the Jets are at an impasse and Kane wants out, then Chevy and Maurice should sit down with him and tell him that they'll move him in the off-season, but in the meantime they need him to keep quiet, play hard, and show that he's a good player.

My gut feeling (and it's nothing more than that) is that Chevy has already dangled that carrot in front of him, possibly more than once. I suspect that Kane simply DGAF at this point, and wants to do whatever he can to force a trade.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
My gut feeling (and it's nothing more than that) is that Chevy has already dangled that carrot in front of him, possibly more than once. I suspect that Kane simply DGAF at this point, and wants to do whatever he can to force a trade.

This would surprise me. The team is on pace to make the post season for the first time in 7 years, and its now that he decides he wants out? He may have wanted it before now, but this is really the first time that he is actually acting like a **** to get it done.

Pretty unlikely if you ask me. guy wants to make the playoffs as much, if not more then anyone else on the team.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
This would surprise me. The team is on pace to make the post season for the first time in 7 years, and its now that he decides he wants out? He may have wanted it before now, but this is really the first time that he is actually acting like a **** to get it done.

Pretty unlikely if you ask me. guy wants to make the playoffs as much, if not more then anyone else on the team.

Then again, if Kane gets traded to a team that is a shoo-in to make the playoffs, he gets what he wants.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
It doesn't work that way. The cap relief only kicks in once the team hits the cap. Then of course the relief ends as soon as the player is fit again. The Jets don't need any cap relief at the moment and won't until long after this situation passes. I suppose if his salary is being paid by insurance it might help the budget a bit.

Cool. If it's not relief due to LTIR, than insurance would be good too. Just trying to speculate that if Kane elected for surgery, wouldn't the Jets have some extra $ to then spend on a short term replacement?

Obviously it would be an inferior replacement, but I'm just thinking I'd rather take that short term pain to make the better long term decision and deal for the club, than move Kane right away because now there's an issue and we'll take a lesser deal because of the current situation.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

This is the worst possible way to do that, because it makes him look like an undisciplined malcontent.

If he wants to force a trade, then he could just say he wants out, privately, through his agent.

This sort of approach just gives him a bad reputation.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Then again, if Kane gets traded to a team that is a shoo-in to make the playoffs, he gets what he wants.

Unlikely. there are not a lot of teams that are going to be able to squeeze in Kane's cap, especially with the amount of term he has left. Its one thing when its a rental, but you would have Kane for four more years or whatever.

Chances are he would be dealt to a team that is trying to rebuild a bit, his age fits in perfectly with a team with that scenario. Thats what I would be looking to happen.

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
Gary Lawless just tweeted that PoMo has confirmed that Kane has been playing with an undisclosed injury this season and will be getting reevaluated.

@garylawless "Maurice confirms Kane has been playing with an injury all season that is now being re-evaluated today"

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Gary Lawless just tweeted that PoMo has confirmed that Kane has been playing with an undisclosed injury this season and will be getting reevaluated.

@garylawless "Maurice confirms Kane has been playing with an injury all season that is now being re-evaluated today"

I hope it doesn't take him out for long.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

IF that's the case (and I really have no idea one way or the other), then they need to trade him ASAP even if it's an underpayment. An underpayment would really suck, but if a guy has an attitude like that he'll do more damage than good no matter how skilled he is.

I'm not saying I think this. From what I've seen of Kane in interviews and such off the ice he seems like a decent guy but of course such interviews are kind of meaningless. Just saying that if Chevy does pull the trigger on a deal that appears less than fair market value, this might explain it although TNSE is too classy of an organization to openly say that's why they did such a trade.

As someone who also follow the Leafs casually, I can say that skilled players with bad attitudes can definitely do more harm than help. I think Chevy has managed the team with a steady hand so I'm prepared to trust him to do the right thing here.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
This is the worst possible way to do that, because it makes him look like an undisciplined malcontent.

If he wants to force a trade, then he could just say he wants out, privately, through his agent.

This sort of approach just gives him a bad reputation.

My understanding is that he's taken that course of action twice: once in October of 2011, and again this past offseason. He may have also done so in the summer of 2012, although I've heard nothing concrete about that.

Sully made a good point about it being odd that he'd pick this particular time to cause a ruckus, but we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. I think the 'undisciplined malcontent' label is going to be affixed to him no matter what, tbh.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
My understanding is that he's taken that course of action twice: once in October of 2011, and again this past offseason. He may have also done so in the summer of 2012, although I've heard nothing concrete about that.

Sully made a good point about it being odd that he'd pick this particular time to cause a ruckus, but we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. I think the 'undisciplined malcontent' label is going to be affixed to him no matter what, tbh.

When did that happen? I wasn't aware that he ever asked for a trade...it wouldn't surprise me, mind you...but still. This is the first I've heard of it.

If he wants out that badly, trade him to Colorado for O'Reilly. I'd almost rather deal with him at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad