The All Encompassing Dion Phaneuf Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree to some extent

I know it's the age of analytics, but you have to look at the big picture. More turnovers, but he had the puck more, more possession means at some point you either pass more, score more or give it away more or some analysts dream combination of the 3. I don't want to go searching up stats, possession numbers to prove this. But it makes sense to me that if you have the puck more your going to give it away more than someone who doesn't. Do we catalogue bad passes that don't count against your giveaway stats but end up on the poor sucker who took your bad pass and then gave it away because he got clobbered by the other team (or you in some cases).

There are too many variables to say "look, this proves he was bad at this because of this number."

I like stats, don't get me wrong, it's people's interpretation of them that is often inaccurate.

This is one of the most balanced posts in this thread, analytics are just in their infancy of development in the NHL, I like them, but I also like watching the game, I like getting into discussions with people who declare they are experts in them. Took me less than a week to drill down on them and learn the nuisances of 3 of the more popular sites. I also think they were created for people to use in arguments on discussion boards.

I would caution people who take them as the gospel as they seem to be the IN thing right now, I have spoken about this before, basketball uses more advanced methods towards their analytics, I think the NHL is heading this way, Sportview, will give us more accurate advanced stats.

But your last sentence is very wise, people who solely use advanced stats like possession, cannot measure truly how good a player is, it is just one variable. One variable in many that make a player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
5.2M per and an Olympic team Canada member......and 7M per there is the context you are asking for....not to mention that Jay Bo is a better over all D man.

Is he? He wasn't when he was in Calgary. When he went to St Louis and became the #2D man to Pietrangleo, he certainly was better.

How many times here have you read from Posters, Dion would be a solid #2 on a good team if we could find a #1D man of Pietrangelo's caliber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad