The All Encompassing Captaincy Discussion Uber Megathread

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Too young. Sure, if the team around him was his age wouldn't have any objections to it. But naming the youngest player on the team captain might not sit well with all the veterans on the squad.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Rielly really tried hard last season even at times when we was struggling real bad. He made mistakes yeah, but he tried so many special things especially offensively. He can really carry this team in the future too.
I couldn't do that poll thing, but moderators could put that "no" or Yes" button out there if they want to.

I likes Morgan Rielly's game. He really dedicated.

Dan Winnik tries really hard and is really dedicated. He should be in the all-star game

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Is this supposed to be another thinly-veiled anti-Phaneuf thread? That's the vibe I'm getting.

Maybe it is but it's pretty clear he's not included in the future of this team anymore so we're gonna need a new captain at some point. Doesn't hurt to talk about Rielly or others as potential leaders

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
So he can crumble under the pressure. NNo Thanks
That might happen of course and you know it. But Marner is so far away... and I do think that a legendary organization should always have a captain in every season. So if Phaneuf is magic miked then we could potentally consider Rielly. I saw what he did last season... was impressed of the youngun.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Rielly really tried hard last season even at times when we was struggling real bad. He made mistakes yeah, but he tried so many special things especially offensively. He can really carry this team in the future too.
I couldn't do that poll thing, but moderators could put that "no" or Yes" button out there if they want to.

So how does that make him captain? Because he tried hard when he was struggling? For the love of Pete why would you ever put that kind of weight on someone that young still trying to find their game...

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So how does that make him captain? Because he tried hard when he was struggling? For the love of Pete why would you ever put that kind of weight on someone that young still trying to find their game...

Why did they put the captaincy on Dion? He was also still fairly young trying to find his game. Man, we had bunch of morons running our team.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Hes legit not even close to becoming captain worthy atm. He doesnt even deserve the A yet, in the future I can see it but not now

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Yzerman did it and so have some others. Some young ones are just so special and different. Look what happened with Yzerman. He won.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Yzerman did it and so have some others. Some young ones are just so special and different. Look what happened with Yzerman. He won.

This is Toronto, we eat our young whole and raw. It would be a lot less pressure to be a captain on the red wings back then (not so much now but still a big difference) than to be captain of the Leafs or Habs. You also have to factor in personality and locker room presence. Just because he works hard does not make him a leader beyond by example.

Let him become a star first, then we can pile on more pressure.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
A captain will emerge when the time is right, try not to overthink it too much :)

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Not yet. How about NOT name a captain till somebody is ready? Just roll with 3 A's and make someone earn the responsibility.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Captain /= Leadership

The captain is basically just a representative for the team. It's not much more of a big deal than that.

Leadership is much more important, and it has nothing to do with whether or not you have a letter on your chest. It's not limited to one person with his two helpers either.

The hell you on about?

He's a troll.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

If trying is the measuring stick; Phaneuf should be the captain.

This would be a surefire way to throw a bunch of other **** on this kids shoulders. Let him focus on hockey; this would be a pretty good way to almost certainly derail his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad