The All Encompassing Captaincy Discussion Uber Megathread

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You trade him, or he's the captain until a suitable replacement is found.

There's really nothing to be gained by stripping it from him and you're just inviting drama by doing it.

I think that's the hope of some.

Mar 26, 2010
Definitely yes strip off the C right now. Not even going to the season with phaneuf will not be enough. He should not be the captain even now as you and I speak here. He is a fake captain, the worst we ever had. Gotta trade him but if nobody wants that sucker then strip him magic mike xxl.

Agree 100%. Phaneuf is hot garbage that gets NO respect around the league. #4-#6 3rd pairing D at this point in his career. He is a bad influence in the dressing room and that is why he was shipped out of Calgary.

Phaneuf = BIGGEST problem in Toronto and has to go right NOW! The team will continue to fail as he is still here.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Man, I don't even care about the captaincy at this point, I just want to see these guys sticking up for one another again. In the playoff the team totally had the vibe of "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us". This year the only guys who showed any spine were Phaneuf and Zach Sill.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
They're not gonna strip him of the 'C' and leave him here...that's a pretty Harold Ballard thing to do and the organization would look bad for it.

I'd like to see him gone for reasons of familiarity but I can see them keeping him around as a mentor to the kids.

Mar 26, 2010
They're not gonna strip him of the 'C' and leave him here...that's a pretty Harold Ballard thing to do and the organization would look bad for it.

I'd like to see him gone for reasons of familiarity but I can see them keeping him around as a mentor to the kids.

Mentor the kids?

His work ethic is simply terrible. He is a lazy useless, sense of entitlement bum! He has zero respect from players around the league or any of the Leafs.

Total loser. Get him the **** out.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Mentor the kids?

His work ethic is simply terrible. He is a lazy useless, sense of entitlement bum! He has zero respect from players around the league or any of the Leafs.

Total loser. Get him the **** out.

Still mad that Phil got shipped out? Deep breaths.

Mar 26, 2010
Still mad that Phil got shipped out? Deep breaths.

It is Phaneuf that needs to be shipped out.

When Kessel scores 50 goals playing with Crosby and wins the Cup next season, and Phaneuf is still the same giant turd... ask yourself the same question.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

When Kessel scores 50 goals playing with Crosby and wins the Cup next season, and Phaneuf is still the same giant turd... ask yourself the same question.

But we don't have Crosby.

Phaneuf will be crap. But our team is crap. If we traded Dion and kept Phil, Phil would be crap too.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

What Kessel does with another team is irrelevant to my happiness. Great offensive hockey player, didn't work out in Toronto but I put that more on management than him.

I'm gonna side with Babcock on this (been saying the same thing since March) that Phaneuf is a good defenseman that has been hung out to dry (paraphrasing). Not ready to throw him under the bus and call him childish names just because some people don't like his face.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Oh yeah the Komarov over at his homeland being charged for 4 felonies? Yeah Varlamov should be captain in Colorado and Voynov in LA.
Those felony charges don't mean jack dirt in anywhere. Komarov cool, he alright. He's that good guy we all know some of those you know what I mean.

Komarov has also been one of our most consistant players and shows GREAT example to all hockey men on the ice. He's a real stand up guy, we used to call them wiseguys in our hood. One of our rising stars could some day wake up and say As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a Komarov. That there is a great example also for youngsters.

Komarov also speaks six or seven different languages wich is a fantastic plus. Much better captain than so many he would be.

And to the other poster I must say that this thread is based on if phaneuf is being shipped out or something like that happened, then Rielly is one option of course. Maybe Komarov, maybe Rielly or maybe some new player we get. I don't see an easy pressure crumbling Phaneuf staying as captain anymore... Babcock don't love that.

Last edited by a moderator:

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Man, I don't even care about the captaincy at this point, I just want to see these guys sticking up for one another again. In the playoff the team totally had the vibe of "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us". This year the only guys who showed any spine were Phaneuf and Zach Sill.

I remember some games last season where Eric Staal for example shot the puck at Phaneuf after a situation was all over and nobody did NOTHING. Never seen that before. Nobody respects phaneuf and he also (phaneuf) played it wrong after the shot.

Phaneuf also didn't give interviews at one point although a captain should do that always. He stands as the team in every situation and is the team. Not our fake captain.

Many opposite players laugh at phaneuf and they don't respect him at all. They shoot pucks at him and laugh. I and babcock don't love that.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Anyone on our current roster who could wear the C?

I'm having a hard time trying to decipher who could be our next Captain. Surely Phaneuf should be traded, and if for some reason he isn't and is still on our roster he should be stripped of his captaincy.

So with that being said, is there anyone on our current roster that deserves to wear the Leafs C?

I'd suggest Winnik, but he is only signed for the next two years, me thinks if the Leafs thought the same as I, they would have gave him a longer contract.

So, what does everyone think? Someone on our roster? Someone via trade? Someone via free agency?

Thoughts?

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
If Phaneuf stays, he should remain captain.

If Phaneuf is traded there should be no captain (For this season and maybe the next).

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
No one should wear the C for the next year or maybe even two. Unless a miracle happens, and Stamkos comes here, I think the future captain of the Leafs could be Morgan Rielly.:nod:

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
Imo, if anything, Phaneuf has proven he is unworthy of wearing the C.

Why do you think that? Honestly asking.

He's been the #1 d man on a terrible team that's gone through a number of coaches and relies on him to do it all on defence.

I've been very critical of Dion, but I know Babcock sees something in him, and I trust Babcock's opinion on him more than my own haha.

I wouldn't strip him of the C, and it doesn't look like he's going to be traded...not yet, anyway.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Don't ask why. Have you learned nothing. Now you'll get dice in here making claims that can't be backed up.

Let Dion keep it until he's either traded or another younger player breaks out in a few years. No point in appointing someone right now. Poses no benefit.

mikebel111*

Winnik for sure. Holland may be too young.

Many good choices on the Marlies.

Kadri is closer to captain that Peter. Did you hear what Holland said about a certain person last season? Holland still has maturing to do

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Why do you think that? Honestly asking.

He's been the #1 d man on a terrible team that's gone through a number of coaches and relies on him to do it all on defence.

I've been very critical of Dion, but I know Babcock sees something in him, and I trust Babcock's opinion on him more than my own haha.

I wouldn't strip him of the C, and it doesn't look like he's going to be traded...not yet, anyway.
Dion Phaneuf is 30 years old and he was never a defensive stalwart in Calgary I don't think? Dion was good at scoring goals and making points in Calgary. And it's too late for him to learn to become a great defender at this point.

Mike Babcock will likely at the very least utilize Phaneuf more effectively and efficiently than Ron Wilson, Randy Carlyle and Peter Horachek ever did though.

I don't see Dion Phaneuf as one of the core pieces of this team going forward. I'd like for us to flip Phaneuf and get a good return. Maybe it wouldn't hurt if we give him one year with Mike Babcock. And then trade him at 31. Defense-men tend to peak later than forwards anyway. But Dion Phaneuf is a slow skater. And he's only going to get slower as he ages. He's a depreciating asset.

If we waited a year to deal Phil, he'd still only be 29. And Phil is a fast skater. I don't think Phil has peaked yet. Management seemed to be in an awful hurry to dump Phil Kessel. Without giving him a chance to improve his trade value.

Joffrey Lupul will be 32 this season. He definitely needs to be dealt. If anyone will actually take his $15.75 million/3 year contract...

I don't think Bozak is worth his $12.6 million/3 year deal either. Bozak's cap hit is second-liner esque but his 5v5 point production rate is at the level of a fourth liner. The reason why his point totals are as high as they are now is because of the opportunities he's offered on the power play. I have serious doubts about whether Bozak can hang in the Top 6 without being carried by Kessel.

If Bozak witnesses a regression in his point production without Kessel, his trade value is going to suffer. So there is a risk involved in keeping Bozak around. If we keep Bozak around, we are banking on Bozak being a serviceable Top 6 forward. If the Leafs are keeping Bozak, they should give Nazem Kadri a more expanded role. But keep giving Bozak a lot of face-offs. Kind of like what Boston did with Krejci/Bergeron. Krejci was the first-line centre. But Bergeron took the most face-offs. I believe Tyler Seguin has his face-off burden lightened by Jamie Benn and what not too in Dallas. You can still be a first-line centre. And yet not be the main face-off guy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad