The All Encompassing Captaincy Discussion Uber Megathread

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
If there is one guy I want gone, it's Dion. I find it painful watching him.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Let's see whether he lasts the summer first. It'll be a poop-storm if they strip him of the captaincy in Toronto. The media will have field day making a mountain out of that.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If we keep Dion (which I think we will) I suspect he will keep his C. The last thing this team needs is more off ice distractions or to feed the media circus. Presently there is no one who screams out as being more qualified so I see little upside in removing his C .

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I really hope he doesn't stay as C

He just doesn't seem like a leader to be honest. He is not very well-spoken

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Call me crazy but I expect a lot more from a guy who was paid 400 grand more than this year's Conn Smythe winner. Maybe if you remove the captaincy from him and thus the pressure perhaps his game improves although I really can't see that as the guy is now 30yrs old and in the later part of his prime.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Call me crazy but I expect a lot more from a guy who was paid 400 grand more than this year's Conn Smythe winner. Maybe if you remove the captaincy from him and thus the pressure perhaps his game improves although I really can't see that as the guy is now 30yrs old and in the later part of his prime.

Yep, that's a pretty crazy way to look at it.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
If we keep Dion (which I think we will) I suspect he will keep his C. The last thing this team needs is more off ice distractions or to feed the media circus. Presently there is no one who screams out as being more qualified so I see little upside in removing his C .

This team should roll with 3 A's till someone earns the captaincy. If Phaneuf wants to be the man, he's gonna have to earn it instead of having the C handed to him on a silver platter because Wilson is a moron and fell in love after he changed the music in the room.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Would love to see Phaneuf traded. But no longer expecting it.

Does anyone recall if the Detroit rumor from last year had us retaining salary on Dion?

Rumour has it the Wings wanted us to retain $2M on him. He's definitely a worthy $5M player, and that's how they saw him.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
This team should roll with 3 A's till someone earns the captaincy. If Phaneuf wants to be the man, he's gonna have to earn it instead of having the C handed to him on a silver platter because Wilson is a moron and fell in love after he changed the music in the room.

I agree with this totally - unfortunately, I suspect Babs realizes that he needs someone in the room who has familiarity with the guys and coming in as a new face, he needs some continuity, even if most of us agree he should never have been given the C in the first place.

When you hear about veteran guys like Winnik suggesting that Dion is actually great in the locker room, it does add some perspective on the personal biases we all have for #3:

“Dion (Phaneuf) is great in the room and you have Roman (Polak) and Joffrey (Lupul) who are very vocal as well. But part of the transition, you need more guys being leaders, older guys. It will be nice to be looked upon in a leadership role.â€

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...-winnik-its-like-he-never-left-the-leafs.html

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I agree with this totally - unfortunately, I suspect Babs realizes that he needs someone in the room who has familiarity with the guys and coming in as a new face, he needs some continuity, even if most of us agree he should never have been given the C in the first place.

When you hear about veteran guys like Winnik suggesting that Dion is actually great in the locker room, it does add some perspective on the personal biases we all have for #3:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...-winnik-its-like-he-never-left-the-leafs.html

Well then....

Get me a Dion jersey! :sarcasm:

Just because a 3rd line player spits out a cliche line about his captain gives no perspective of anything.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Don't you think that Morgan Rielly would be the better Captain?

Rielly really tried hard last season even at times when we was struggling real bad. He made mistakes yeah, but he tried so many special things especially offensively. He can really carry this team in the future too.
I couldn't do that poll thing, but moderators could put that "no" or Yes" button out there if they want to.

I likes Morgan Rielly's game. He really dedicated.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Is this supposed to be another thinly-veiled anti-Phaneuf thread? That's the vibe I'm getting.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Rielly really tried hard last season even at times when we was struggling real bad. He made mistakes yeah, but he tried so many special things especially offensively. He can really carry this team in the future too.
I couldn't do that poll thing, but moderators could put that "no" or Yes" button out there if they want to.

I likes Morgan Rielly's game. He really dedicated.

Someday not now.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Hes not ready.

Here is a fun fact; 4 of the last 6 threads created by OP have been locked.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think being Captain for the Leafs must be a media darling and someone who knows how to handle people. Put it this way, as of now, none of the Leafs have shown they are a people person. Ideally, I think the Leafs captain is best suited for a blue collar energy type guy who is on a 2-3mil contract, plays on the 3rd line and kill Penalties. That way, he won't be grill about justifying his contract when he does not score(lets face it, even Sid or Alex can't score every game in today's NHL), all energy guy needs to do is play strong defensively and have a hit or two a game and people in TO will love him.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Alright I'm going to do this for everyone... We said the same about the following...

Phaneuf
Schenn
Lupul
Komarov

Can we please for the love of god just let the kid play and not worry about this.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Set the stage for Marner to be captain. He will be precisely the kind of captain this club needs.

Lifelong Leafs fan. Centre. Leader by example through his ability to inspire and work without leaving a thing to second guess. And incredible talent.

Not saying Reilly couldn't be, but there's something..."more"...to a captain when he can literally take the team on his back and carry them through.

Marner - C
Reilly - A
Nylander- A

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Better to have a vet carry that burden until Morgan is more established. I really don't see them stripping Dion of the C while he is here and it appears he is staying for the next while at least.

In many ways it is silly for fans to say so and so should be Captain unless they are famous for their leadership. We have no idea what the dynamic is like inside the dressing room and who the players consider their leaders. That said Dion does get a lot of vocal support when his leadership is brought up to other players on the team.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Alright I'm going to do this for everyone... We said the same about the following...

Phaneuf
Schenn
Lupul
Komarov

Can we please for the love of god just let the kid play and not worry about this.

Easy there buddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad