The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VIII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Ran it for a friend, so might as well post. Honestly, I'm surprised that most of Lee's goals came from someone other than Tavares. Probably more surprising that a huge majority of Lee's assists were on Tavares goals. I bet those are a lot of rebounds?

MUSaG8k.png

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Question for next year's chart dumps, what do you guys prefer for the faceoff count chart:

(1) All faceoffs
(2) Faceoffs only on shift starts

I've been doing (1), which I think I like more than (2). Micah does (2). I think (2) makes sense because it shows pure deployment and ignores noise like icings. I'd stick with (1), but since you guys are my only audience, I open it to the floor.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Question for next year's chart dumps, what do you guys prefer for the faceoff count chart:

(1) All faceoffs
(2) Faceoffs only on shift starts

I've been doing (1), which I think I like more than (2). Micah does (2). I think (2) makes sense because it shows pure deployment and ignores noise like icings. I'd stick with (1), but since you guys are my only audience, I open it to the floor.
Why not both?

MOAR CHARTS

I prefer #2, if anything, because of the noise. Can really make sense of player deployment.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Why not both?

MOAR CHARTS

I prefer #2, if anything, because of the noise. Can really make sense of player deployment.
I have no idea how often this happens, but going with 2, we'll lose the information if let's say a player is deployed in the o-zone, and then the next faceoff is in the d-zone, but coach doesn't change lines. We won't get that d-zone faceoff. Do we care? I don't know anymore. What is life.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I have no idea how often this happens, but going with 2, we'll lose the information if let's say a player is deployed in the o-zone, and then the next faceoff is in the d-zone, but coach doesn't change lines. We won't get that d-zone faceoff. Do we care? I don't know anymore. What is life.
Moar.

Charts.

(No we don't care)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Moar.

Charts.

(No we don't care)
I'm not doing both :P

Need to finish this god damn xG model so the Rangers continue to not hire me. Two hours of work today and I'm basically where I've been the entire time... [with the understanding this isn't the best way to test this model, I'd still like this spread to be much thinner].

deb7zJa.png

Smell test: Does this goal have the minimum allowable xG rating it can? Yes, yes it does.

Close up shop, boys.

giphy.gif

Oh, jk, it's this one... and they say faceoffs don't matter!

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
jokes aside, i don't see us looking to add anyone unless trades are made. we didn't trade anyone away (yet) so we might not be very good but our roster is pretty full even without the kids making it

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Not sure what the hell Tulsky is thinking right now with that trade. Aging curves? Worried about his injuries? Know they won't sign him long-term? Still, have to believe they could've gotten more than that. Doesn't really bode well for a Hayes deal.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The group think on this board that the team can do no wrong and anyone who criticizes them gets dogged on is unbearable lol

Seems like Skinner’s NMC had a big effect, limiting his trade market.
Yeah he blocked a trade to LA at the draft

No clue whether the return would have been better than Buffalo’s though

Not sure what the hell Tulsky is thinking right now with that trade. Aging curves? Worried about his injuries? Know they won't sign him long-term? Still, have to believe they could've gotten more than that. Doesn't really bode well for a Hayes deal.
Which is quite terrifying tbh considering they are basically kicking him out the door

Reactions: Machinehead

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The group think on this board that the team can do no wrong and anyone who criticizes them gets dogged on is unbearable lol
I've spoken to @Machinehead about this quite a bit, and I totally understand it, and it's a major reason why I don't post as often as I used to in other threads, and when I do, 95% of the time I'm trolling.

Basically, it boils down to the fact that the people who post on HFNYR are, shockingly enough, Rangers fans. They don't want to come here and read posts of people shitting on their team. I get it. I really do get it.

I think it's frustrating that we've basically been exiled to this thread as the only place to discuss objective analysis that has to do with the Rangers or the rest of the league. I think it perpetuates a lot of groupthink, as you said, since it's an echo chamber of similar ideas and thoughts. But, at the end of the day, I get it. You don't want people telling you that you're wrong or the thing you love sucks, even if it does.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Honestly, I tend to give the Rangers as much criticism as I feel necessary, I just go about it nicely in long winded, complicated posts nobody reads anyway.

Reactions: jas and SA16

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think HFNYR is just large and diverse enough that 99% of opinions or posts in general are going to get some sort of push back for better or worse. In saying that, there is a vocal minority that really muck up a lot of discussions and getting involved with them is the real trap of posting on here

Reactions: Do you want ants

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
best part about building an xG model is reliving all these goals

Terrible goal, but at least this gave us the Lundqvist is Jim Halpert gif

Jesus f***, the tip data is so broken. f***ing NHL.

This is listed as a deflection, but the point stands. NHL PBP lists this goal at a distance of 173'

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I wish I could put into words how horribly this xG testing is going. Somebody build me a time machine so I can go back to college and switch my major to statistics. Thx.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Ran the 17-18 numbers while I was deep in the Swedish urskog, some quick takes on the defenceman projections:

LHD had a stronger showing in the top tier than in 16-17 but were still in the minority, especially at the very top (in projected xGF%Rel.). 1/5, 3/10, 9/20, 13/30. In addition, most of the LHD in the top 30 (9/13) played in a limited role (below average TOI%), while only 5/17 RHD did so.

Only one player in the top 30 screams anomaly, Alex Biega, and two that are likely anomalies but are young enough to not be written off completely (Nutivaara and DeMelo).

A shame the Rangers couldn't acquire Sergachev (ranked 23rd, 13th, and 6th in proj. P60, xGF%Rel, and CF%Rel) in the McDonagh trade, sure looks like a stud.

DeAngelo showed well as expected (4th, 24th, 13th), and he improved in all categories compared to 16-17 (19th, 85th, 31st).

Skjei surprised me a bit as he almost managed to repeat his excellent possession numbers from last year, while improving his projected P60. He was ranked 45th, 23rd, 35th in 16-17 and 17th, 35th and 59th in 17-18.

John Gilmour showed decently in P60 (59th) and xGF%Rel. (94th) and very well in projected CF%Rel. (22nd).

Brendan Smith rated surprisingly well (most likely due to his high ixGF60 and iPenD60) with 78th, 70th and 68th (he was a shocking 9th in proj. xGF60).

Shatty's numbers were a disappointment as his projections were almost as bad as his actual numbers, rating out in the mid-low 2nd pairing range with 117th, 98th, and 108th. I really hope it was his injury bothering him and not a natural decline (his projected xGF%Rel and CF%Rel show a slow and steady decline with a sharp dropoff for this season).

Staal's numbers, while better than in 16-17, where about as terrible as expected rating from the low 2nd to low 3rd pairing range (98th, 147th, 165th). His only bright spot was his time with Shatty as a partner, which actualy was Shatty's best minutes as well. Keep them together.

Pionk's numbers were actually quite encouraging (81st, 117th, 167th) compared to his abysmal actual possession metrics. He should be able to do very well in a 3rd pairing role, just don't throw him to the wolves with Staal as his partner like AV did.

Holden is no longer with us, and we should be thankful for that. While his actual numbers were quite good his projected numbers were UGLY (172nd, 164th, 183rd). Always the passenger to a better partner will do that for you. Thank you for the 3rd Sweeney!

Speaking of the Holden trade, O'Gara rates where you expected him (166th, 217th, 194th).

McDonagh's projected numbers have not been the ones of a 1D since 13-14 and after an off-year in 14-15 he's been a borderline 1st pairing player in each of his last three seasons according to his projected numbers with a trajectory of very slow decline. Probably a good time to trade him, although high-end LD's are hard to find as I've stated previously.

While Freddy Claesson had extremely impressive projected numbers in 16-17 (29th, 4th, 12th), his 17-18 left a LOT to be desired (179th, 157th, 185th). While he may work out with a skilled partner, 'm not going to expect more than a 7D performance from him. He is also a good example of why you shouldn't make too much of a single season in a comfy role, especially if the player hasn't showed scoring prowess earlier in his career (basically a 100% prerequisite for having legit top pairing potential).

Considering the 17-18 projections this is my preferred top-6:
Skjei-DeAngelo
Smith-Shattenkirk
Gilmour-Pionk

With the condition that Staal has to be in the lineup:
Skjei-DeAngelo
Staal-Shattenkirk
Smith-Pionk

I've attached the top 30 defencemen in projected P60, xGF%Rel and CF%Rel for the curious and will post my trademark radar charts upon request for those interested.
upload_2018-8-4_19-10-58.png

upload_2018-8-4_19-11-4.png

upload_2018-8-4_19-11-11.png

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Other hot takes from around the league, the model says Nashville should trade Subban yesterday (though it has significantly underestimated his P60 six years in a row). Nashville has three 1D's and he is not one of them.

Nashville also has the best 5v5 top-6 forwards in the league, with the best being Craig Smith and the worst being Ryan Johansen (the model likes volume-shooting forwards).

If I was David Poile I'd look to trade Johansen (probably the most overrated C in the league) for Mika Zibanejad (probably the most underrated in the same age range).

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That John Gibson contract is especially amazing when you remember that Carey Price is making $10.5M for 8 more years :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad