The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VII: An Ode to the Sanity of Silverfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
What I'll be doing is comparing him to players who performed similarly to him in their 22 year-old season using a mix of relative, individual, and context metrics. Then evaluating how the players similar to him in their 22 year-old season advanced throughout the rest of their career.

It's my old MILLER model, but I needed to re-work for d-men.

It's also not very scientific, and should be taken with millions of grains of salt and lots and lots of skepticism.
Ok, I’ll have my tar, feathers, and pitchforks ready!

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
What I'll be doing is comparing him to players who performed similarly to him in their 22 year-old season using a mix of relative, individual, and context metrics. Then evaluating how the players similar to him in their 22 year-old season advanced throughout the rest of their career.

It's my old MILLER model, but I needed to re-work for d-men.

It's also not very scientific, and should be taken with millions of grains of salt and lots and lots of skepticism.
I’ll be looking forward to it.

Thanks.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Evan Bouchard being good at hockey

DYMSLAhX4AAvz0C.jpg

Quinn Hughes being good at hockey

DV8OyIPUMAEClH-.jpg

Ty Smith being good at hockey

DYMSdy_X0AAslSn.jpg

(Should I be concerned that Bouchard is apparently coached by AV?)
______

Take a defenseman. It's absolutely fool-proof.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, we should try to grab Filip Kral with a mid-round pick. He appears in all of the nice areas of the nice charts.

And yeah, that's Libor Hajek who's good at everything. Your eyes deceive you not.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

DYMSLAhX4AAvz0C.jpg

DV8OyIPUMAEClH-.jpg

DYMSdy_X0AAslSn.jpg

______

I really really like Hughes. His shot's nothing to really write home about and he probably pinches too much (but he's never really ends up getting caught doing it), but he might be the best skater in the entire draft, he's smart enough to use his talent make up for his lack of size on the defensive end of things, and he had a better PPG than the guy some scouts (dumb ones) are saying is the best forward in the draft, Brady Tkachuk. I've said it a few times, but Hughes is the type of player that people buy tickets to see play, hopefully he's still there at 9 and we're able to pick him.

Side note: good to see Hajek out there on the first chart too, a month after getting traded to the Regina Pats his coach said he's NHL ready, so I'm excited to see him in camp next year

Reactions: Machinehead

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Also, we should try to grab Filip Kral with a mid-round pick. He appears in all of the nice areas of the nice charts.

And yeah, that's Libor Hajek who's good at everything. Your eyes deceive you not.
100% agree with Kral he'd be a great mid-round pick. Also has experience with Chytil and Hajek at the World Juniors
Also, where did you find those charts I remember seeing Brown posting one about Merkley, but I haven't seen any of the others

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

DYMSLAhX4AAvz0C.jpg

DV8OyIPUMAEClH-.jpg

DYMSdy_X0AAslSn.jpg

______

I also see Calen Addison being good at hockey.

Reactions: Bozle

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I was literally trying to tell you that Hajek was good and was a good component of the McDonagh deal. Again, I am right in my analysis.

Addison is also why I don't want to draft Merkley. I think his game will translate better to the NHL

Reactions: Miamipuck and jas

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was literally trying to tell you that Hajek was good and was a good component of the McDonagh deal. Again, I am right in my analysis.

Addison is also why I don't want to draft Merkley. I think his game will translate better to the NHL
Ok, dad. :P

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
YEAH DOC-N'-EDZO, CHRIS KOO-NITZ A GOOD OL' SASKATCHEWAN BOY AND RYAN CALLAHAN OUTTA ROCHESTER KNOW ALL ABOUT TOUGHNESS AND GRIT GROWING UP WHERE THEY DID. JUST GRINDIN AWAY AND WEARIN OPPONENTS DOWN TO WIN SOME HAWKEY GAMES.

Oh wait, this is the team that has Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Gourde, Palat, Hedman, Stralman, McDonagh, and Vasilevsky right? Wonder what those lazy f***s do every night?

Reactions: silverfish and jas

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Noted winner Ryan Callahan*

*except he hasn’t won anything of substance and will probably be bought out soon enough

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Who's tracking/posting these junior metrics?
Mitch Brown does. He writes for the athletic Montreal and his @ is @mitchlbrown on twitter. He mostly focuses on Montreal Canadiens prospects but I've seen him do a few of those charts on draft prospects like Ryan Merkley.

Reactions: silverfish

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Mitch told me he prefers Hughes, Smith, Dobson, Bouchard in that order.

Bottom three are interchanbable, while Hughes is simply on another level.

Thinks all four of them would be good picks with high-end potential.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Mitch told me he prefers Hughes, Smith, Dobson, Bouchard in that order.

Bottom three are interchanbable, while Hughes is simply on another level.

Thinks all four of them would be good picks with high-end potential.
Hughes is on par with Boqvist to me, if he was like 6’2” he’d be closer to Dahlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad