The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VII: An Ode to the Sanity of Silverfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don't know. I look at Josh Manson making only $4.1m AAV and I'm just like...

giphy.gif
Well you were right all along on him, so props for that. Idk how the Ducks sign their defensemen to such sweetheart deals. Like how are Manson/Lindholm making < $10M combined?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Well you were right all along on him, so props for that. Idk how the Ducks sign their defensemen to such sweetheart deals. Like how are Manson/Lindholm making < $10M combined?
They normally don't put up points, which is something that should drive Skjei's value down.

I don't know what the hell Manson did this year to get 37. 30 of those points were 5v5.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
They normally don't put up points, which is something that should drive Skjei's value down.

I don't know what the hell Manson did this year to get 37. 30 of those points were 5v5.
Looking at Lindholm’s contract, that’s exactly what I’d give Skjei

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Ugh grandpa, it’s nap time for you.

Which parts would you like clarification on specifically? I’ve split Skjei’s relative team numbers into pre-and-post trade rows to show how he fared playing in an increased role once McD was moved. The metrics are the usual ones pulled from naturalstattrick like corsi, scoring chances, goals for, etc

I believe this response qualifies as both ageist and elderly abuse, so you will be hearing from my lawyers.

Oh, and thanks.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
There are some people who, like, seem like they’d be happy if Gilmour got beheaded by Isis :laugh: I don’t want to invoke their wrath.
I do like him a bit as well, but at this point I am not sure where he fits unless we somehow get rid of Staal or Smith. But I would prefer giving him a longer look.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Screams too high for Skjei to me, but I think he'll be right in that neighborhood.
I would agree, I hope Skjei's lack of raw point totals brings that number down though. Interesting how much better he was after the McDonagh trade, but I would be careful to take too much from that SSS compared to the rest of the season.

Also, I can't be the only one who like DeAngelo more than Pionk at this point can I? If the rest of the league loved Pionk as much as some people here, we'd probably be able to trade him for almost anything lol.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This has nothing to do with hockey, but I was reminded in the lottery thread of a mathematical study a guy at Oxford did a few years ago that showed that in order to keep a secret for 100 years, the maximum size of the group that knows the secret is 125 people.

Carry on.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Cool, trading up to 5 from 9 should only cost a mid-2nd round pick, which the Rangers have. Fits in with what I've said all along about what the actual cost of moving up is.

It doesn't actually cost that though these charts are more of what the picks should actually be worth rather than how teams value them. Seems too flat at the top also.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
When’s this data from? I’d imagine it’d shift a bit with how some later picks have made NHL impacts over these past seasons. I don’t like using data from the 90s

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Actually, I apologize. I misread the chart, it's actually a mid-3rd round pick.

Two things

1) Mid-3rd (164) + 9th (596) = 760. 5th = 741. The two picks still have more value, albeit negligible.

2)That's what the numbers say, but good f***ing luck getting a team to take a mid-3rd. It's more likely a mid-2nd and I think you know that to be true. That's why you said it. That's 596 + 192 = 788. Going from 788 to 741 is a steep drop to take willingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad