The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VII: An Ode to the Sanity of Silverfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'm not all that familiar with Hockey WAR but I see EK is 87th overall (while 3rd in Dmen) in WAR over a period of time.

Does WAR just not value Dmen that much?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think this question needs more context. In terms of what?

OK with the current New York Rangers handing out these deals?
OK with market value that was received?

OK how?

Both. I think that basically every single multi-year UFA deal handed out on 7/1 was awful (including $11M for Tavares). I guess the Stastny deal was at least palatable.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I'm not all that familiar with Hockey WAR but I see EK is 87th overall (while 3rd in Dmen) in WAR over a period of time.

Does WAR just not value Dmen that much?
My understanding is that there is no universally accepted WAR formula in hockey. Hockey analytics lags behind baseball in terms of a magic stat like that.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Probably Schaller or Rieder. Not many of them.

Rieder was a one-year deal.

To me, Schaller was overpaid by about $750K, but at $1.9 I guess it's not THAT terrible.

But yeah. I thought the deals handed out this 7/1 were insane. I can't recall scrubs getting paid like this in this quantity before. And the damn TERMS!!!!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rieder was a one-year deal.

To me, Schaller was overpaid by about $750K, but at $1.9 I guess it's not THAT terrible.

But yeah. I thought the deals handed out this 7/1 were insane. I can't recall scrubs getting paid like this in this quantity before. And the damn TERMS!!!!
Really glad we balked on Komarov and Beagle.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Idk why Nick Shore is still a free agent, but Gorton pls. Even Letestu would be a good depth signing

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Idk why Nick Shore is still a free agent, but Gorton pls. Even Letestu would be a good depth signing
My new hypothesis is that teams just think that the depth they currently own is better than the depth that is available out there. So teams aren't lining up for Franson to be their 6/7 D because they already have guys in that spot, or they can plug in youth.

Like, I bet if you asked Gorts, he'd tell you he'd prob just have Nieves win that 4C spot than sign Nick Shore for it.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
My new hypothesis is that teams just think that the depth they currently own is better than the depth that is available out there. So teams aren't lining up for Franson to be their 6/7 D because they already have guys in that spot, or they can plug in youth.

Like, I bet if you asked Gorts, he'd tell you he'd prob just have Nieves win that 4C spot than sign Nick Shore for it.
Nothing wrong with internal competition when it comes to fourth line/bottom pairing roles. In fact, I'd encourage it.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

You’re probably correct, but I see him as a Paul Carey replacement. Good, 4th line energy forward that can PK and won’t hurt you at ES. Shift Nieves over to LW since he doesn’t utilize his playmaking skills down the middle or ever shoots the puck.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You’re probably correct, but I see him as a Paul Carey replacement. Good, 4th line energy forward that can PK and won’t hurt you at ES. Shift Nieves over to LW since he doesn’t utilize his playmaking skills down the middle or ever shoots the puck.
Yeah I think Nick Shore would be a really good depth add.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

They also like Fontaine at that spot.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
so is the AHL not a competitive league or is it just not predictive of NHL scoring
It’s not predictive of scoring since there’s a huge middle ground of data that pulls the overall scores down. Special case examples like Chytil need to be viewed as comparables to who fit that age group. It’s not really a development league.

I kinda lol’d at the WHA being on there, but overall, that’s amazing work by Manny

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Reactions: Machinehead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad