The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VII: An Ode to the Sanity of Silverfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
LOL. Right now IMO there is no chance the Rangers are that bad. And winning the lottery? Forget it.
Not bad enough to finish last. We’ll probably be bottom 10 again unless Quinn fixes our defense. He’s got the same team AV had minus the best defenseman and two top 6 forwards.

It could get worse before it gets better.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Can I just bitch to some smart people about how overrated Chris Pronger is?

Hall of Fame talent, but Jesus Christmas, the romanticization...

Phnxldr

Apr 4, 2018
I've read that the rangers heard from someone above them that they would be drafting K'Andre Miller before the rangers spot. I've been thinking how much of that goes on between GM's during the draft. From a game theory perspective, wouldn't you want to keep that secret? Or else someone might do exactly what the rangers did and take him right before you? Maybe there is a cooperative aspect to it between certain GM's that know each other.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I've read that the rangers heard from someone above them that they would be drafting K'Andre Miller before the rangers spot. I've been thinking how much of that goes on between GM's during the draft. From a game theory perspective, wouldn't you want to keep that secret? Or else someone might do exactly what the rangers did and take him right before you? Maybe there is a cooperative aspect to it between certain GM's that know each other.
There is most definitely cooperative work going on between GMs, and sometimes trying to sabotage another team.

Be it the draft, trades, etc.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
ugh so not worth it.

Franson is actually good.

Wasting so much time out of pure laziness trying to scrape last season. But the NHL ain't doing me any favors. I've got a list of 26 games so far last season that don't have a json PBP page. Unfortunately, that's the only page where you get coordinates for missed shots. But, every time my loop finds a game with no json page, it ends itself. My laziness comes in because instead of just writing code to skip these games or pick up where I left off, I start the scrape back at the beginning. Because I hate myself.

Almost done though.

Then it's xG time.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
silverfish is going through a 'try not to post on HFNYR too much' phase again because his argument about why the Rangers should sign Duclair because he scores at the rate of a 2nd liner and drives shot attempts the correct direction was responded to as: 'you only want him because of nostalgia' or some shit.

So, why waste my time?

Reactions: Off Sides

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We live in a world where Jack Johnson is a $4m AAV d-man you lock up to five-years, and Cody Franson is struggling to get league minimum.

What a dumb sport.
It's the only sport in the world where those in charge just love bad players because reasons.

I'm so sick of it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Best sport, worst league
Hey that's my saying.

True. This doesn't happen in women's hockey.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the fan/GM favorites in the NWHL don't have the best underlying numbers and that there are some truly unheralded superstars, but I only get like 6 PBP sheets a year so I cannot confirm nor deny this suspicion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad