The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You know I touched the Norris once at the MSG Hockey House. Security roasted me, but it was worth it.

If there was one touch I was gonna sneak (and I wouldn't touch the Cup, because I haven't won it) it was that one. I've been obsessed with defensemen since I'm like two years old.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Stepan is 6 away from 50. The Coyotes are ****ing cruising now that they are healthy. If they add Dahlin & stay healthy, they're a playoff bubble team next year.

To keep this on topic, 44 points on the 'Yotes means that Stepan has contributed a point on 26.34% of all Coyotes goals this year.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Stepan is 6 away from 50. The Coyotes are ****ing cruising now that they are healthy. If they add Dahlin & stay healthy, they're a playoff bubble team next year.

To keep this on topic, 44 points on the 'Yotes means that Stepan has contributed a point on 26.34% of all Coyotes goals this year.
And his shooting% still hasn’t fully regressed back to the mean. I miss Stepan.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Or is this who he is now?

1 season can be defined as an outlier but when its 2 years in a row, it starts to become a pattern.
His underlying stats have remained pretty consistent, so I don’t think it’s crazy to expect a slight rebound in shooting%. He’s actually shooting at a lower% than last season, so even if he does rebound, I’d say it’s safe to assume it’ll be in the 8-9% range rather than 10-12% range

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
His underlying stats have remained pretty consistent, so I don’t think it’s crazy to expect a slight rebound in shooting%. He’s actually shooting at a lower% than last season, so even if he does rebound, I’d say it’s safe to assume it’ll be in the 8-9% range rather than 10-12% range
The FA list this year is so barren, we need moneypuck more than ever. Should be targeting guys that are underperforming their xG but still driving play in the right direction. Buy them cheap, and hope for a rebound.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The FA list this year is so barren, we need moneypuck more than ever. Should be targeting guys that are underperforming their xG but still driving play in the right direction. Buy them cheap, and hope for a rebound.
Any ideas of who fits this mold or have you not had the chance to look yet? I know you’ve mentioned Franson and Barberio

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Any ideas of who fits this mold or have you not had the chance to look yet? I know you’ve mentioned Franson and Barberio
Haven't had the chance to look. I think Franson and GOATberio would be very solid 7D additions. Should both come in at roughly $800K max. But, we also still have Kampfer signed, because for some reason we needed him on a two-year deal last April?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I don't think it's the right move to sign Franson. We have enough defensemen to have a competitive camp and he's not a huge upgrade unless you're just signing him to be a 7D and not a regular. Kampfer already fills that role.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
There is such a huge talent gap between Kampfer and Franson.
Wasn't trying to imply there wasn't.

I think the Rangers will go with the young guns+Staal for the Top 6 and then because they already have Kampfer under contract, I don't see them running out to sign another 7D.

Assuming they sign all their young RFA/UFA defensemen, they'll have plenty of guys competing for spots in camp.

Staal, Shattenkirk, Skjei, O'Gara, Pionk, ADA, Gilmour, Sproul, Smith, Bereglazov, maybe Hajek, Bigras, Pedrie, Zboro (unlikely), Day (unlikely), and then Kampfer.

That's a lot of guys whole will be in camp.

And who is realistically going to get a spot out of camp? Skjei, Shattenkirk, and Staal are probably the safe bets. After that,would think Smith. That's four. Then you have 12 other guys (assuming, like I said, that they sigh their UFA/RFA defensemen) for three spots? I would think they would have Kampfer penciled in as their 5th or 7th D, so two spots.

For some reason, I just don't see them running out to get another guy.

:dunno:

But I have been wrong before.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Wasn't trying to imply there wasn't.

I think the Rangers will go with the young guns+Staal for the Top 6 and then because they already have Kampfer under contract, I don't see them running out to sign another 7D.

Assuming they sign all their young RFA/UFA defensemen, they'll have plenty of guys competing for spots in camp.

Staal, Shattenkirk, Skjei, O'Gara, Pionk, ADA, Gilmour, Sproul, Smith, Bereglazov, maybe Hajek, Bigras, Pedrie, Zboro (unlikely), Day (unlikely), and then Kampfer.

That's a lot of guys whole will be in camp.

And who is realistically going to get a spot out of camp? Skjei, Shattenkirk, and Staal are probably the safe bets. After that,would think Smith. That's four. Then you have 12 other guys (assuming, like I said, that they sigh their UFA/RFA defensemen) for three spots? I would think they would have Kampfer penciled in as their 5th or 7th D, so two spots.

For some reason, I just don't see them running out to get another guy.

:dunno:

But I have been wrong before.
I guess it depends on which way the org goes this off-season. Wouldn't surprise me to see them bring in a vet to push the kids, at least.

But what the hell do I know :)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Assuming the Rangers are trying to compete next year, I would target:

Nash or JvR
Tavares, duh

and then for your moneypuck guys...

Franson or GOATberio
Comeau (if he takes a major paycut from the $2.4m AAV he's racking up right now)
Jussi Jokinen
Paajarvi (actually sporting a positive relTxGF%)
Schaller

Man, the UFA crop this year is ugly.

If they aren't trying to compete, well, then who gives a shit.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Assuming the Rangers are trying to compete next year, I would target:

Nash or JvR
Tavares, duh

and then for your moneypuck guys...

Franson or GOATberio
Comeau (if he takes a major paycut from the $2.4m AAV he's racking up right now)
Jussi Jokinen
Paajarvi (actually sporting a positive relTxGF%)
Schaller

Man, the UFA crop this year is ugly.

If they aren't trying to compete, well, then who gives a ****.
I can see them going after JVR, especially if they can market him as another kid that grew up a Rangers fan. You’re right though, this FA crop blows. I wanted Sceviour, but Florida re-signed him

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm aware, seen someone post their numbers with those three in the lineup not long ago.

Sample size is an issue for sure, but not just because of variance. Maintaining a winning record when teams have had a longer look at their healthy group will be much more difficult.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm aware, seen someone post their numbers with those three in the lineup not long ago.

Sample size is an issue for sure, but not just because of variance. Maintaining a winning record when teams have had a longer look at their healthy group will be much more difficult.

A million things can happen between now and next season, so yeah, it's irresponsible to say the Coyotes will compete. But they are a different team 2018 vs 2017, that's for sure.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

A million things can happen between now and next season, so yeah, it's irresponsible to say the Coyotes will compete. But they are a different team 2018 vs 2017, that's for sure.

Agreed. I hope they do push for the playoffs next year.

Might also help push analytics in hockey a little farther if they did.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Agreed. I hope they do push for the playoffs next year.

Might also help push analytics in hockey a little farther if they did.
There's a bit of a rift between the "mainstream" analytics people and Chayka. Mostly because everything Chayka uses, and Stathletes, are so blackbox.

But, the way I see it, is that it's nice that there's a GM who thinks differently out there. The only thing is, well, we really have no idea what he's thinking.

Some things do align, like the whole Sh% thing when he traded for Panik, even though Panik still can't score to save his life... as well as not selling low on Domi... yet...

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
There's a bit of a rift between the "mainstream" analytics people and Chayka. Mostly because everything Chayka uses, and Stathletes, are so blackbox.

But, the way I see it, is that it's nice that there's a GM who thinks differently out there. The only thing is, well, we really have no idea what he's thinking.

Some things do align, like the whole Sh% thing when he traded for Panik, even though Panik still can't score to save his life... as well as not selling low on Domi... yet...

Never realized this. Was the analytics revolution in baseball as secretive to begin with as well?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Never realized this. Was the analytics revolution in baseball as secretive to begin with as well?
This is a good question that I don't know the answer to...

@Machinehead ?

It's also a different time... you see some of the public guys who have big reaches on Twitter, or via their website, get hired, and the teams that hire them have them take down their Twitter and their site. I get it. And I can definitely imagine if Sabermetrics in baseball popped up in the age of Twitter, that we'd see something very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad