Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Another name that we need to talk about is Bowen Byram.
I love Byram. This guy's gonna be a stud #1d.

If we can't get one of Hughes, Kakko, Dach, or Cozens, then we should grab Byram. Then trade Nurse for offense.

However, if one of those 4 forwsrds are there then we take them no questions asked.

Reactions: lakai17

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Just please don’t pick any Finns, Russians or Swedes in the first couple of rounds. We can’t develop them worth a damn and it’s justvaxwaste of time. Stick to the dub and hope for the best.
The Oilers don't have problems with Swedes. Swedes are only a step away from being good ol' Canadian boys. They closer than Americans.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
The Oilers don't have problems with Swedes. Swedes are only a step away from being good ol' Canadian boys. They closer than Americans.

Reminds me of Swedish defenceman Douglas Murray. You don't get more Swedish than him.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
As I mentioned in the the prospects thread, keep an eye on Phil Tomasino our of Niagara. Right shot C/W. 2 goals in his first 17 games, but he's found his game (always saw the potential) 17 goals in his last 22 and just getting better every game.

A lot of skill in this player and untapped potential. If he is there in the 2nd round when we pick, he's a must pick IMO

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
As I mentioned in the the prospects thread, keep an eye on Phil Tomasino our of Niagara. Right shot C/W. 2 goals in his first 17 games, but he's found his game (always saw the potential) 17 goals in his last 22 and just getting better every game.

A lot of skill in this player and untapped potential. If he is there in the 2nd round when we pick, he's a must pick IMO
If we make the playoffs somehow, I'd definitely snag him with a late 1st. He's very good.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Who do people like outside the top5? I haven't been getting too deep into this draft yet but it seems very hit and miss, with Mark Edwards of HockeyProspect saying a lot of NHL scouts seem to think this is the weakest draft in years...then again the 2017 draft was supposed to be really weak too and so far it looks very good.

But so far, for me, I'm not really all that excited about anyone not named Hughes, Kakko or Dach. I have some interest in Boldy, Newhook, Suzuki and Söderström but that's about it. How good are guys like Turcotte, Podkolzin, Krebs, Lavoie, Byram, York etc?

Or how good is McMichael actually? He's on a really good pace now, well over PPG. How high would you guys consider taking him? Higher than #15? Could he climb into the top10?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Who do people like outside the top5? I haven't been getting too deep into this draft yet but it seems very hit and miss, with Mark Edwards of HockeyProspect saying a lot of NHL scouts seem to think this is the weakest draft in years...then again the 2017 draft was supposed to be really weak too and so far it looks very good.

But so far, for me, I'm not really all that excited about anyone not named Hughes, Kakko or Dach. I have some interest in Boldy, Newhook, Suzuki and Söderström but that's about it. How good are guys like Turcotte, Podkolzin, Krebs, Lavoie, Byram, York etc?

Or how good is McMichael actually? He's on a really good pace now, well over PPG. How high would you guys consider taking him? Higher than #15? Could he climb into the top10?
Podkolzin and Cozens are top 5 calibre talents. Studs.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Very good. Natural center, but can play the wing too. Great shot, good two-way player, very smart.

He and Alex Newhook are two forwards that I'm very high on in the 10-15 range.

Reactions: MessierII

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Very good. Natural center, but can play the wing too. Great shot, good two-way player, very smart.

He and Alex Newhook are two forwards that I'm very high on in the 10-15 range.

Yeah, those guys are the ones I'm keeping my eye on outside the top5. Feel like both could be really solid options for the Oilers.

Podkolzin and Cozens are top 5 calibre talents. Studs.

I'm not too high on Cozens right now. Podkolzin I haven't seen at all but a lot of people seem to be raving about him so I need to start looking into him I guess.

I've started to become a bit apprehensive about russians lately though, a lot of them seems to get overhyped based on international play, which I guess is natural since most people don't see those guys play in the russian league, but that + the language and culture factor makes them quite risky to pick high. For the Oilers I'm not sure they can afford taking a big risk like that at this point in time unless they're 100% sure this kid will deliver.

Actually just watched some footage on this kid now. Like his hands and puck control. Seems to have a very good shot as well. Strong lower-body and can fend off defenders quite well. Don't like his skating that much though, he's shifty and good east-west and can shake defenders that way but he looks a bit heavy in his boots and not very explosive. Definitely something he'll need to work on if he wants to create space for himself in the NHL. Seems a little bit one-dimensional. Kinda looks like a budget version of Stamkos. Overall, just based on this limited footage, he doesn't strike me as an elite talent or someone I'd pick top5, but he has some good tools to work with. But there's probably more to his game than I saw just now considering almost everyone has him top5, so I'll keep watching :)

Last edited:

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yeah, those guys are the ones I'm keeping my eye on outside the top5. Feel like both could be really solid options for the Oilers.

I'm not too high on Cozens right now. Podkolzin I haven't seen at all but a lot of people seem to be raving about him so I need to start looking into him I guess.

I've started to become a bit apprehensive about russians lately though, a lot of them seems to get overhyped based on international play, which I guess is natural since most people don't see those guys play in the russian league, but that + the language and culture factor makes them quite risky to pick high. For the Oilers I'm not sure they can afford taking a big risk like that at this point in time unless they're 100% sure this kid will deliver.

Actually just watched some footage on this kid now. Like his hands and puck control. Seems to have a very good shot as well. Strong lower-body and can fend off defenders quite well. Don't like his skating that much though, he's shifty and good east-west and can shake defenders that way but he looks a bit heavy in his boots and not very explosive. Definitely something he'll need to work on if he wants to create space for himself in the NHL. Seems a little bit one-dimensional. Kinda looks like a budget version of Stamkos. Overall, just based on this limited footage, he doesn't strike me as an elite talent or someone I'd pick top5, but he has some good tools to work with. But there's probably more to his game than I saw just now considering almost everyone has him top5, so I'll keep watching :)

Yeah, agreed on Cozens.

I've seen a handful of Hurricanes games over the last couple of years and he's good, but doesn't get me out of my seat like Dach, or even Krebs and Byram.

Cozens is big, he skates well and he works really hard, but I just don't see the skill and vision of a top 5 NHL pick there. I always came away more impressed with Jordy Bellerive.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
How do people feel about broberg? He was invisible at the wjc. But maybe in a nutivaara kind of way.

I like him. Incredible skater, not just for a guy his size but overall. The guy can rush the puck. The fact that he is 6'3, 203 lbs makes it even more impressive. Pretty good defensively too. I think he can and needs to improve his passing and overall puck skills. He has shown some pretty good offensive instincts too but is prone to get tunnel vision and try to do it all himself instead of using his teammates. Think it has more to do with him getting excited than having poor vision though.

Overall I think he is quite raw and whomever drafts him will likely need to be patient with him if they want him to reach his full potential. I have no idea where he'll go in the draft, I think Button has him top5, McKeens and ISS top10 and HP and FC in the teens. Really depends on how you value his upside I think, but it only takes one team to fall in love with his combination of size and skating for him to get picked really early. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if someone took him 3rd overall.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
How do people feel about broberg? He was invisible at the wjc. But maybe in a nutivaara kind of way.
If Nutivaara was a top 10 pick people would consider him a disappointment. Just like if RNH was picked where Scheifele was people would think higher of him.

You don't want your top 10 pick to end up like Nutivaara. Personally I'm not even thinking about defenseman for this draft.

Podkolzin or Dach would be amazing.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Boom or bust prospect. Incredible tools, probably the best in the draft. It's his hockey IQ that worries me. He won't be a bad pick by any means, but we already have the "tools, no toolbox" kind of guy with Nurse and Pulju. I'd rather a guy that's smart and creative, something we're lacking behind McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge.

And he's a LD.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not convinced by Podkolzin yet.

I can see the potential, but he isn't on the same level as Hughes or Kakko whatsoever and Cozens/Dach are both quite dominant as well, it'd be hard for me to put him ahead.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I have my top 5 as this rn:

1a. Kakko
1b. Hughes
3. Cozens
4. Dach
5. Podkolzin

Through in Byram, Zegras or Turcotte as honorable mentions or fighting for the 6 spot.
Yeah that’s what I have. Kakko and Hughes are very close, and the next three are close to each other. I still think we’ll be picking in the 16 to 25 range though. :)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I have my top 5 as this rn:

1a. Kakko
1b. Hughes
3. Cozens
4. Dach
5. Podkolzin

Through in Byram, Zegras or Turcotte as honorable mentions or fighting for the 6 spot.

I am high on both Krebs and Newhook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad