Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Hughes over Kakko. Nothing against European players but it seems like this organization doesn't know how to manage those types of players unless they have been playing in the CHL leading up to the draft.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
If we draft I see us drafting 10-15 2ho do you guys like in those positions and what are their upside.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
One guy I'd be interested in with a late 1st round pick or potentially mid 2nd round pick is Tobias Björnfot. Not only does he have a great name (his surname means Bear foot) but he's also a very talented player. Really good two-way D, smooth skater with a good outlet pass. Sees the ice well and has good decision-making. Pretty good point shot as well. 10 points in 22 games and +12 at the junior level and has so far played 4 games in SHL as well and by all accounts looked solid.

There's a pretty good scouting report on him over at EP if you scroll down a little:
BLOG: A look at 2019 draft eligible Swedes from J20 SuperElit

I think he has a very good chance of ending up as a really solid 2nd pair defenseman who can play in all situations and be relied upon playing big minutes and put up around 30 points a year.

Look at his coast-to-coast GWG in OT at 16:51. Some real nice offensive instincts, puck-handling and release.

Reactions: Aerrol

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It's unlikely the Oilers will have a chance to pick Kakko, but even in that case they might want to reconsider as his English is bad, too. TM is gone so it might be a bit different now, but it takes more than that for me to believe the Oilers and foreign players that don't speak English well are a good combination.

I don't know about his English, but a defender Ville Heinola (Lukko/FEL) seems like a pretty interesting prospect. I haven't really followed him earlier, but he's scored solid points in the FEL and has started the WJC-20 very well.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's unlikely the Oilers will have a chance to pick Kakko, but even in that case they might want to reconsider as his English is bad, too. TM is gone so it might be a bit different now, but it takes more than that for me to believe the Oilers and foreign players that don't speak English well are a good combination.

I don't know about his English, but a defender Ville Heinola (Lukko/FEL) seems like a pretty interesting prospect. I haven't really followed him earlier, but he's scored solid points in the FEL and has started the WJC-20 very well.

I mean that claim about Kakko not speaking English was debunked by one of his teammates who said he speaks decent English.

I'd love Kakko here. I just recently started looking into him and he'd be a great fit here. I would have no qualms about picking him. He's so much smarter as a player than Puljujärvi and I think he's absolutely a better prospect than Pulju was in his draft year even though he isn't nearly as hyped.

I think he'll go straight to the NHL and have a pretty good season right away. He's probably same tier of player as Andrei Svechnikov last year.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I mean that claim about Kakko not speaking English was debunked by one of his teammates who said he speaks decent English.

I'd love Kakko here.

All I know is he needed a translator for his interview and when I tried to search for more info all I found was a comment from a fan of his FEL team who said he expected him to use a translator and wasn't suprised about the news.

If you ask the Finns they probably don't want Kakko to the Oilers (because of the history with young prospects including Pulju's case), but in any case I don't think the Oilers will be in a position to pick him.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Just stay away from the Euros. For some reason our European Scouting seems quite bad. Hughes, Cozens, Dach, Byram if we're in the position to draft one of them

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm still pumping Arthur Kaliyev's tires.

52 points in 36 games. Only Leason has more points from the CHL.

Sure, his stride is a little ugly and he's far from a two-way player, but he just flat out produces.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm still pumping Arthur Kaliyev's tires.

52 points in 36 games. Only Leason has more points from the CHL.

Sure, his stride is a little ugly and he's far from a two-way player, but he just flat out produces.
He's very young as well. 31 goals as a 16 year old is pretty impressive.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

I'd love Kakko here. I just recently started looking into him and he'd be a great fit here. I would have no qualms about picking him. He's so much smarter as a player than Puljujärvi and I think he's absolutely a better prospect than Pulju was in his draft year even though he isn't nearly as hyped.

I think he'll go straight to the NHL and have a pretty good season right away. He's probably same tier of player as Andrei Svechnikov last year.
Puljujarvi’s biggest problem to me will always be his Awkwardness and his lack of puck control. At this point I’d be happy if he turned into Joel Armia.

Anyways I’d love to draft almost anyone in the top 10. But I’d really like to get Dylan Cozens, right handed centre who has good size and great skating who drives the play and has a wicked shot as well.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Puljujarvi’s biggest problem to me will always be his Awkwardness and his lack of puck control. At this point I’d be happy if he turned into Joel Armia.

Heh, I think his finishing ability or lack thereof is a huge issue as well.

Anyways I’d love to draft almost anyone in the top 10. But I’d really like to get Dylan Cozens, right handed centre who has good size and great skating who drives the play and has a wicked shot as well.

I haven't paid too much attention to Cozens and I know a lot of people are high on him, but from the little I've seen of him I'm not very impressed by him and I don't think I'd have him in my top10, let alone top5. To me he looks like a project and it's ironic because in many ways he actually reminds me of Puljujärvi in his draft year.

Like just looking at this video from the Hlinka:

I don't like his hands, I don't like how telegraphed and slow his shot and release is. I don't see him making many high IQ plays there or examples of high-end vision/playmaking. Most of it is him utilizing his size, speed and long reach to navigate around and past opponents. Eerily similar to how Pulju did and looked at the junior level. And all of that will be more or less negated at the NHL level. Cozens also skates into trouble a lot in those clips and overcomplicates things. So there's a bunch of red flags for me.

Again, I have only seen limited footage on him but so far I'm not a fan or nearly as high on him as most other people seems to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->