Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Turcotte doesn't look like anything special. Dach to be seems to have a 2C ceiling. Not strong enough offensively or defensively to really feel like more. Newhook, I'm unsure of due to the BCHL, really hard to get a good read on guys there.

From what I have seen most of these guys aren't bad but very few of them look to have future top 6 upside. A few will for sure but my overall point really is, this is a great year to move the pick as no matter where you fall 5-30, you really aren't losing much trading it away

If anything is think Krebs is overrated from playing on a bad team. Put him on a good team and I don't think he looks any better. Infact probably worse cause he would see much less icetime.
I'm sorry, but how many times have you seen Krebs?

Yes, he gets a ton of ice time, but Kootenay is crazy bad. It almost seemed like they sewered their team on purpose to make it easier to move to Winnipeg.

Krebs is basically a one man show there and putting up good numbers. That 20 year old White is OK, 18 year old Muir is OK, but 16 year old Connor McClennon might be their 2nd best player after Krebs.

Last edited:

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
23.3% chance of top three, 7.5% first overall.

cc7815d0-48ed-4fdd-b14f-585991003007.png

Last edited:

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
Lets say we get 1st OA/Hughes

Would you...

A.) Trade pick
B.) Trade Drai
C.) Trade Nuge
D.) Keep all for 1 more year

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

Would you...

A.) Trade pick
B.) Trade Drai
C.) Trade Nuge

What's a realistic trade scenario for any of those players? If I'm trading Drai/Hughes the only guys I'm interested in are Dahlin and Jones and that's probably not going to happen...

Drai - McDavid - XXX
Hughes - RNH - XXX

f***ing ridiculous forward core.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Would you...

A.) Trade pick
B.) Trade Drai
C.) Trade Nuge
Keep em all 100p

Anyone - Mcdavid - Drai
Anyone - Nuge - Hughes

Lethal core. I would keep RNH because he's worth more to us than what we'd get in a trade. Only way I move Drai or Hughes is for Jones/Dahlin or with Lucic for Provorov +.

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
Keep em all 100p

Anyone - Mcdavid - Drai
Anyone - Nuge - Hughes

Lethal core. I would keep RNH because he's worth more to us than what we'd get in a trade. Only way I move Drai or Hughes is for Jones/Dahlin or with Lucic for Provorov +.
What's a realistic trade scenario for any of those players? If I'm trading Drai/Hughes the only guys I'm interested in are Dahlin and Jones and that's probably not going to happen...

Drai - McDavid - XXX
Hughes - RNH - XXX

****ing ridiculous forward core.

Trade Drai for Ceci

Sign Simmonds for 7x6m
tenor.gif

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'll have to take a closer look at the prospects and hopefully change my mind. We are going to end up with a top 10 pick and one of them is going to be an Oiler, might as well find a couple to like.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Would you...

A.) Trade pick
B.) Trade Drai
C.) Trade Nuge

Keep all.

Pt Hughes on the 1st line RW. Send him suicide passes and big high pressure minutes along side the best player in the world. If he fails even slightly bench him and rake him in the media. Then bounce him up and down the lineup until his lifeless body is sent south of the border for scraps.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not great and he skates a bit like Drai did as a junior, but he's so good at finding soft spots in the offensive zone and creating shooting angles for himself. Great hands and insane release too.
Probably why he is looking like a late first early second pick. Great offense but if you don't have a good defensive game scouts worry about your NHL impact

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Would you...

A.) Trade pick
B.) Trade Drai
C.) Trade Nuge

A) Hell no
B) Ditto
C) Ditto
D) Is there a keep for long term option?

We need to keep our highly skilled players at all costs. We have a good 15 million+ wasted on trash players, there lies the problem

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
A) Hell no
B) Ditto
C) Ditto
D) Is there a keep for long term option?

We need to keep our highly skilled players at all costs. We have a good 15 million+ wasted on trash players, there lies the problem

I could be swayed.

I agree that we lack skill players. Out of everyone, id consider moving Hughes the most.

1.) Hes the perfect ratio of high value/unproven
2.) His lower salary cap, potentially allows Oilers to send salary dump to acquiring team
3.) We wouldnt be removing any high-end skill from our current roster

Id take 2 (or more) lesser assets if it meant us getting some space.

For example, if Oilers get 1st OA and Ducks get a top 5 pick. I do

To Oilers:
Brandon Montour (50% Retained)
Ducks top 5 pick

To Ducks
1st OA
Brandon Manning
Kassian

Then id draft Krebs or another skilled forward.

Id do the same deal (1st OA, Manning, Kassian)

NYR: Skeji, Top 5 Pick
CHI: Debrincat, Top 5 Pick
PHI: Ghost, Top 5 Pick
NJD: Hall (pending UFA), Top 5 Pick
Etc...

30-50% retention on all the above players

For teams without a top 5 pick, id go with a bigger salary cap dump and no retention on the returning player. Id even retain up to 15% on the dump.

MON: Domi, 1st RD pick (Lucic)
VGK: Theodore, 1st RD pick (Lucic)
STL: Parayko, 1st RD pick (Lucic)

Buyout Sekera, Sign Stone or Gardiner and win me a Stanley Cup baby.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Awful defensively, questionable IQ for the NHL level, not a very good skater...

I think those parts of his game are underrated. He's not good defensively, has Drai-esque skating, but has great IQ. We should draft guys based on skill, not defense. That is how your team becomes skilled.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Some comments on Kaliyev from Mark Edwards of HockeyProspect (note: most of them are replies to other posters, this from a thread on the prospects board):

People would be shocked at what I've heard from other scouts regarding this player. I'll leave it at that.

Keep this in mind. I like smart, competitive skilled players.Our ranking is as if he's on our team list. I don't want him anywhere high so I plop into an area later on. We use the Jets 3-9 ratings scale. He's a 4 skater and a 4 compete at best. 6 for hockey IQ and I'll go 8 for skill. No compete is a killer for me, combined with bad feet it doesn't help. Love the scoring ability but not showing to be my type of player so far. Trust me when I tell you that I am not alone.

"compete, play away from the puck and skating are all attributes that can be worked on"

I coached for 19 years. I didn't see many players I coached or coached against fix their compete level. Based on that alone (not even talking about the other concerns) Kaliev is not the type of player I would select high in a draft.

If I were to think of the first 10 team scouts who come to my mind, 9 out of 10 of them like Kaliev less than me. Do i think he will go in the first round and waaaay higher than I have hi?. Yes. It only takes one team. Merkley went in 1st, same for HoSang. They are two other examples of players who were not what I personally look for in a player.

Please remember this. We are not predicting. We are placing him (and others players) in a range where we value them. He's not my cup of tea, thus he' way off our radar. I'm not rooting against him or anyone else. I hope he has a great career. He can flick a switch and improve his effort and fix half of what I and other scouts see as a weakness I his game.

I'll keep watching him, but so far this season nothing has changed in my viewings. Just as an FYI, not popular with our other scouts either. In other words, I haven't had to pull rank to place him where I want on our list.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I would advise Hughes to ask to be traded if the Oilers have the no 1 pick. Not joking at all. No one would blame him. So I think a forced trade would be a distinct possibility. I have the Oilers finishing bottom 3-5 in the league by season's end.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Some comments on Kaliyev from Mark Edwards of HockeyProspect (note: most of them are replies to other posters, this from a thread on the prospects board):

I don't disagree with the assessment. I just disagree with weighting those attributes so high when it comes to high-end prospects.

Basically all of the best prospects the Oilers have drafted recently have either had heavy boots(Bouchard, Maximov, Benson) or questioned compete level(McLeod).

I'm of the mindset that the Oilers need to draft the smartest player at each of their picks. I can count the number of Oilers with NHL level hockey IQ on one hand. They desperately need smart players. You win in this league with quick decisions. Not quick feet or compete level.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't disagree with the assessment. I just disagree with weighting those attributes so high when it comes to high-end prospects.

Basically all of the best prospects the Oilers have drafted recently have either had heavy boots(Bouchard, Maximov, Benson) or questioned compete level(McLeod).

I'm of the mindset that the Oilers need to draft the smartest player at each of their picks. I can count the number of Oilers with NHL level hockey IQ on one hand. They desperately need smart players. You win in this league with quick decisions. Not quick feet or compete level.
Those guys may never become NHL players because of their compete level though. Compete allows them to push past struggles, which a young NHL career is. It's why Tkachuk is miles better than a Puljujarvi

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Keep em all 100p

Anyone - Mcdavid - Drai
Anyone - Nuge - Hughes

Been there Done that.

Hall-McDavid-Eberle
Draisaitl-Nuge-Yakupov

All 100 pt players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad