Prospect Info: The Abnormal 2021 Draft Thread

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
It is amazing how this far into the season, this thread is as short as it is for a change.

I am curious however, about who some players are in the 31st pick range. (ARI lost their pick...).

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Ben Gaudreau will be interesting to follow.

IMO, he's a 1st round level goalie, but he didn't put up great numbers on a horrendous Sarnia team last year and hasn't got to play yet this year, so he's probably not on too many people's radars.

Reactions: McDoused

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Looks like we’re going to be holding onto our pick, at least until the offseason.

Any interesting names that might be available in the latter half of the first round? I don’t follow prospects at all.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Looks like we’re going to be holding onto our pick, at least until the offseason.

Any interesting names that might be available in the latter half of the first round? I don’t follow prospects at all.
Logan Stankoven is a small goal-scoring winger from the WHL in that range—Alex Debrincat-esque, perhaps.

8 points in 3 games to start off the season and was named to Canada's U18 team. Could be a name worth keeping an eye on.

Last edited:

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Logan Stankoven is a small goal-scoring winger from the WHL in that range—Alex Debrincat-esque, perhaps.

6 points in under 3 games to start off the season and was named to Canada's U18 team. Could be a name worth keeping an eye on.

He’s Canadian? Figured he was European with that last name.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure

6 points in under 3 games to start off the season and was named to Canada's U18 team. Could be a name worth keeping an eye on.

Thanks for the heads up. Kids got some real nice hands, and a wicked release. RWer. I'd love to get more depth at LW.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Came here to post if Stankoven is available at our pick, then we should be all over it and take him. All of a sudden our forward prospect pool looking pretty solid and adding him would be a huge addition.

8 points in 3 games, a pretty solid season last year as well. I remember hearing this kids name awhile back, should be an interesting one to follow.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
HockeyProspect.com 2021 NHL Draft Top 32 Ranking, April - HockeyProspect.com

HockeyProspect's April rankings are out.

1. Power
2. Edvinsson
3. Beniers
4. Johnson
5. Guenther
6. Eklund
7. Cossa
8. McTavish
9. Hughes
10. Sillinger

Thoughts?

I'm surprised to see Lambos at #24 considering HP had him at #4 in their early 2021 rankings and he hasn't played all that much this year, so why the slide in the rankings? How does one go from an elite prospect to a late 1st rounder without playing much? Kind of strange to me.

Also interesting to see Cossa as the top rated goalie all the way up at #7 and over Wallstedt at #14. Also HP are not as high on Clarke as some others and have him only at #12. I'm not a huge Clarke fan (although I definitely do like him) but that seems a bit low. They also had Drysdale around that spot last year IIRC and Clarke kinda reminds me of him, and considering how Drysdale has looked this season that low ranking of him looks like a mistake, so it's interesting that they're doing the same thing with Clarke.

Also Hughes is a guy a lot of people like and may even rate as the #1 in this draft but HP only has him at #9. Very interesting rankings overall.

EDIT: Also no Stankoven in the 1st round.

Reactions: Aerrol

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Apparently HockeyProspect has Stankoven as a late round pick or not a draftee at all because of his size and poor skating. And Clarke is ranked all over the place by scouts, some have him top10, others not in the top20. Curious.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
HockeyProspect.com 2021 NHL Draft Top 32 Ranking, April - HockeyProspect.com

HockeyProspect's April rankings are out.

1. Power
2. Edvinsson
3. Beniers
4. Johnson
5. Guenther
6. Eklund
7. Cossa
8. McTavish
9. Hughes
10. Sillinger

Thoughts?

I'm surprised to see Lambos at #24 considering HP had him at #4 in their early 2021 rankings and he hasn't played all that much this year, so why the slide in the rankings? How does one go from an elite prospect to a late 1st rounder without playing much? Kind of strange to me.

Also interesting to see Cossa as the top rated goalie all the way up at #7 and over Wallstedt at #14. Also HP are not as high on Clarke as some others and have him only at #12. I'm not a huge Clarke fan (although I definitely do like him) but that seems a bit low. They also had Drysdale around that spot last year IIRC and Clarke kinda reminds me of him, and considering how Drysdale has looked this season that low ranking of him looks like a mistake, so it's interesting that they're doing the same thing with Clarke.

Also Hughes is a guy a lot of people like and may even rate as the #1 in this draft but HP only has him at #9. Very interesting rankings overall.

EDIT: Also no Stankoven in the 1st round.
Give it some time, Lambos will moon shot

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
So unless there's a a high end goalie available, it makes sense to draft another forward right?

We are set on D for a while and are heading into a win now mode. Drafting skilled forwards will either provide cheap depth for us, or a bargaining chip in a trade.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So unless there's a a high end goalie available, it makes sense to draft another forward right?

We are set on D for a while and are heading into a win now mode. Drafting skilled forwards will either provide cheap depth for us, or a bargaining chip in a trade.

In a crapshoot draft like this I think it's just BPA and frankly I feel like the d-men in this draft class are more of a sure thing than the forwards, which is pretty rare to say.

With that being said, I know very little about the forwards in this draft class at this point. I have yet to dive into this draft class as a whole and start to watch video so I'm not sure what type of guys that are out there beyond the top names. Maybe there are some underrated guys out there that could be really attractive at our pick.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I knew you'd post that HP ranking when I saw it yesterday, Zaddy.

Cossa's been getting heaps of praise. Starting to hear "The Oilers should trade back slightly, re-coup picks, and take Cossa in the 1st" on the radio here. It's gonna be a strong storyline around the Edmonton air waves.

I can absolutely see Lambos tumbling down draft lists with his season ending with a whimper.

As far as should we just be taking forwards... I'm on BPA with a slight lean towards defensemen. I understand the rationale that none of these picks from here on out may help the McDrai window. Lots of people are gonna be pissed when they take Cossa, heh.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Cossa's been getting heaps of praise. Starting to hear "The Oilers should trade back slightly, re-coup picks, and take Cossa in the 1st" on the radio here. It's gonna be a strong storyline around the Edmonton air waves.

I can absolutely see Lambos tumbling down draft lists with his season ending with a whimper.

As far as should we just be taking forwards... I'm on BPA with a slight lean towards defensemen. I understand the rationale that none of these picks from here on out may help the McDrai window. Lots of people are gonna be pissed when they take Cossa, heh.

Yeah I'm firmly in the BPA camp, and if the Oilers are drafting in the 20's I'm not averse to them drafting Cossa. I don't think there's any reason to avoid drafting a defenceman either. I don't see any of their D prospects as being for sure top pairing guys. Another skilled forward would be good too obviously.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What are your guys thoughts on Sebastian Cossa?

Putting up obscene numbers as the goaltender for the Oil Kings right now. Massive goaltender as well.

Edit: posted before reading the thread, I see some others are on the same line of thinking just above my post

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Which is why all of our picks should be on the table for help in the next 4 years, which is the entirety of the McDrai window. This years and next years especially should be in play, as whatever player we get on return for our pick could help us through 4 runs, rather than 3 or 2 if we wait until later years to trade the pick. I would be moving heaven and earth to find players with 1-3 years term left that could help the team in the McDrai window. We have lots of cap space this summer as well, so there are no excuses anymore for Holland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad