Prospect Info: The Abnormal 2021 Draft Thread

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
With COVID delaying leagues left, right and center this will be a weird one for scouts and hobbyists alike to evaluate. But in some places the season is indeed in full swing so it's high time we talk about the 2021 NHL Entry Draft.

Here are HockeyProspect's early 2021 rankings:

1. Kent Johnson, C/LW, Trail Smoke Eaters, BCHL
2. Owen Power, LD, Chicago Steel, USHL
3. Dylan Guenther, RW, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL
4. Carson Lambos, LD, Winnipeg Ice, WHL
5. Cole Sillinger, C, Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL
6. Aatu Räty, C, Kärpät, Liiga
7. Corson Ceuelemans, RD, Brooks Bandits, AJHL
8. Luke Hughes, LD, USNTDP, USHL
9. Daniil Chayka, LD, Guelph Storm, OHL
10. Mason McTavish, LW, Peterborough Petes, OHL

Much stronger class for defensemen this time around. Someone I'm personally keeping my eye on is Carson Lambos. Great two-way defenseman with top pair upside, but Owen Power is obviously interesting as well as 6'5, 215 lbs D who skates really well and put up 40 points in 45 points in the USHL.

If the Oilers want to keep going the AJHL route there's Corson Ceuelemans in Brooks who just happens to be headed to Wisconsin as well. He's a 6'2, 190 lbs defenseman who is said to be "a smart two-way defenseman with no glaring weaknesses in his game".

If we look over to Europe, Fabian Lysell is a highly skilled winger I'm a fan of. William Eklund from Djurgårdens IF is another favorite, a guy who is slightly undersized but incredibly smart and skates well.

There are certainly a lot of players to be excited about for this draft. I like it a lot more than the one we just had. There's depth at every position and a lot of potential for getting impact players. Even if the Oilers draft late in the 1st they should get a very good prospect. This is the type of draft you don't want to be trading your pick away.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And with the 5th overall pick, the Detroit Red Wings (using the Edmonton Oilers pick), are pleased to select........

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
And with the 5th overall pick, the Detroit Red Wings (using the Edmonton Oilers pick), are pleased to select........
tenor (4).gif

The Oilers don't pick 5th bro. 1st or bust.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
What the hell Zaddy! This thread title needs an abortion. :sarcasm:

There are some studly looking defensemen, hopefully somehow scattered through the 1st round. I think I'll find it difficult to not pine for a defenseman. Power, Lambos, Clarke, Hughes, Hreshuk, Edvinsson, Ceulemans, Chayka... please let Holland use the 1st on a defenseman!

Dylan Guenter will get the Oil King rub, but he's worth the hype. He won't be in our range.

Jesper Wallstedt completes the trifecta. I don't think he'll go higher than Askarov's 11th overall.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

There are some studly looking defensemen, hopefully somehow scattered through the 1st round. I think I'll find it difficult to not pine for a defenseman. Power, Lambos, Clarke, Hughes, Hreshuk, Edvinsson, Ceulemans, Chayka... please let Holland use the 1st on a defenseman!

Dylan Guenter will get the Oil King rub, but he's worth the hype. He won't be in our range.

Jesper Wallstedt completes the trifecta. I don't think he'll go higher than Askarov's 11th overall.

Maybe I'll start doing thread titles in Swedish ;)

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I’m interested in what happens with the other draft eligible Oil King, goaltender Sebastian Cossa. He was absolutely incredible for them last year and a big part of their huge turnaround. He could definitely give Wallstedt a big run to be the top goalie in the draft.

Reactions: oilers'72

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
2021 is going to be a complete roll of the dice for most of the 1st round due to players not being able to play a normal season this year. The top 10 will still likely be better than 20-32, but I don't think the gap is going to be as great as normal. The difference between picking 12th and 27th is going to be practically non-existent I would imagine.

I also wonder if more european players get picked this year as they are still mostly playing a normal season, so scouts will get more views of those players.

Reactions: oilers'72

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Really like the group of Swedish prospects for this draft. Hell this entire draft is looking incredibly strong across the board. May not have the same top end talent as some other drafts but it could be the deepest since 2015. You'll be able to get impact players late in the 1st and probably into the 2nd round in this draft. That's very rare.

TheGhost

Jun 11, 2015
Salmon Arm, BC
really stoked on kent johnson.

I’ve watched him live about 8 times, and I’ve never come away thinking he had even top six nhl potential. He seemed to stockpile points against really weak BCHL teams, and then go close to invisible against better teams. The points he’d get in the more competitive/physical games seemed more to do with his line mate (Phillipe Lapointe) than his own impact on the games.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Gotta go with Wallstedt here if he's availabe.

If not, another forward or right handed D

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This kid is pretty exciting. That blend of skating, hands and shot is very appealing. Good size too.

Doesn't seem to be much of a playmaker but the kid can flat out score. 11 goals in 11 games in SuperElit so far.

I would have taken him in the mock draft this year if I could of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad