NFL: The Aaron Rodgers Experience

Last Rat Standing

May 26, 2016
South Florida
As a GB fan all my life, I am glad to see him gone. Hell, I wanted him gone after losing in the playoffs in 2022 against the 49ers after playing hero ball by trying to get the ball to Adams on every play.

With that being said, I'm not going to put all of the blame on his playoff failures. Yes, there were some years where he played like crap. 2011 against the Giants was probably his worst, especially coming off of the season they had. I swear, everytime the team got to the playoffs outside of 2010, its like they forgot to play defense.

45 points against the Cardinals in 2010, 37 against the Giants, 45 against San Francisco, 44 against Atlanta, 37 against San Francisco. They had a practice squad corner covering prime Juilo Jones. They gave up a TD, onside kick, TD in less than three minutes against Seattle. Jimmy Garoppolo only had to throw 8 passes because they ran for 285. SF was a better team that season I'll admit and same with 2016. Atlanta was a better team.

Twice he led the team to OT, only to never see the ball again. Including two hail marys in Arizona.

However, he did fold in 2020 and 2021 after great seasons. I can make excuses about Scotty Miller burning Kevin King and then Aaron Jones fumbles coming out of the half in 2020 or the blocked punt against SF in 2021. I think GB wins that game if that doesn't happen.

And for those who think that SB wins are the only thing that matter, you're saying that Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino/Jim Kelly/Warren Moon.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Yeah, I checked out on giving a crap about what he says when he started the yearly cycle of:

1. lose in the playoffs
2. rework your deal to get a higher salary and stay the highest paid QB
3. complain you have no help
He made it easier on himself by missing the playoffs all together.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
As a GB fan all my life, I am glad to see him gone. Hell, I wanted him gone after losing in the playoffs in 2022 against the 49ers after playing hero ball by trying to get the ball to Adams on every play.

With that being said, I'm not going to put all of the blame on his playoff failures. Yes, there were some years where he played like crap. 2011 against the Giants was probably his worst, especially coming off of the season they had. I swear, everytime the team got to the playoffs outside of 2010, its like they forgot to play defense.

45 points against the Cardinals in 2010, 37 against the Giants, 45 against San Francisco, 44 against Atlanta, 37 against San Francisco. They had a practice squad corner covering prime Juilo Jones. They gave up a TD, onside kick, TD in less than three minutes against Seattle. Jimmy Garoppolo only had to throw 8 passes because they ran for 285. SF was a better team that season I'll admit and same with 2016. Atlanta was a better team.

Twice he led the team to OT, only to never see the ball again. Including two hail marys in Arizona.

However, he did fold in 2020 and 2021 after great seasons. I can make excuses about Scotty Miller burning Kevin King and then Aaron Jones fumbles coming out of the half in 2020 or the blocked punt against SF in 2021. I think GB wins that game if that doesn't happen.

And for those who think that SB wins are the only thing that matter, you're saying that Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino/Jim Kelly/Warren Moon.

This was the frustrating thing.

When he was good, the defense was atrocious.
When the defense was good, he was atrocious.

After that Superbowl run, they couldn't ever be good at the same time. We wasted a lot of years not being active in free agency as well and then drafting poorly on top of that.

Holding on to McCarthy for too long was also an issue.

Last Rat Standing

May 26, 2016
South Florida

After that Superbowl run, they couldn't ever be good at the same time. We wasted a lot of years not being active in free agency as well and then drafting poorly on top of that.

While Rodgers didn't play great in the 2014 game against Seattle, especially with the defense getting 4 picks, I'll still put some blame on Mccarthy for kicking field goals 4th down at the 1. Also Burnett sliding instead of running back on the 4th interception which could have either generated points or pushed Seattle back further.

I firmly believe that if GB wins that game, then Rodgers would have a second ring. They had already beaten New England that season.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The strange thing about their Super Bowl run is half the team was on IR

Last Rat Standing

May 26, 2016
South Florida
The strange thing about their Super Bowl run is half the team was on IR

Yeah it was that next man up mentality. Rodgers went full on beast mode, especially in the divisional round against Atlanta. That's the best game he's played IMO. The team never trailed by more than a touchdown the entire season. He even bailed them out in 2016 with the "run the table" motto.

Outside of losing to Atlanta in 2016 and San Francisco in 2019 in which the latter's were better overall teams, the team was only a handful of plays away that would make or break a trip to the Super Bowl or advancing futher in the playoffs.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
This was bound to happen last year or now. What was the point of drafting Love in the 1st round just to waste him on the bench. This is good for both parties. GB can finally move on and see what they have in Love and Aaron gets to stay a starter for a year or 2 in a fresh environment. Never been a fan of Aaron’s antics but this move was inevitable

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This was bound to happen last year or now. What was the point of drafting Love in the 1st round just to waste him on the bench. This is good for both parties. GB can finally move on and see what they have in Love and Aaron gets to stay a starter for a year or 2 in a fresh environment. Never been a fan of Aaron’s antics but this move was inevitable
Just waiting for them to agree on the compensation. Per spotrac AR is a $99.8 mill dead cap hit this year but a $24.5 mill dead cap for 2024. Not sure what it is if traded as those numbers are a straight cut.

How much cap room does GB lose by dealing him? I doubt they gain any.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

I was kind of shocked when they hired him to begin with. He was a coach on the awful 49ers 2005 team. Couldn’t believe one of their guys was viewed as head coaching material when the on-field product was so bad.

Last Rat Standing

May 26, 2016
South Florida
Just waiting for them to agree on the compensation. Per spotrac AR is a $99.8 mill dead cap hit this year but a $24.5 mill dead cap for 2024. Not sure what it is if traded as those numbers are a straight cut.

How much cap room does GB lose by dealing him? I doubt they gain any.

The dead cap is 40.3. He is due 59.3 including that. So dealing him with the Jets taking on his full salary would be 19.3

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Just let it end already. Go make the NYJ the 3rd best team in their own division, Aaron.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You figure that's why they moved Moore and their 3rd to get Cleveland's 2nd rounder. Going to cost at least 1 of their now 2 second round picks to get AR. Jets need that 13th OA pick to draft an OL. Need some insurance in the event Becton is still injury plagued. Vera-Tucker is their best guy at OG. Draft an OT and start that player at RT. He'd swing to LT if Becton doesn't make it back to full health or goes down again.

If they manage to keep one of their 2 second rounders, I'd take an IOL as well. Need to beef up that OL and add depth. I'd get another RB behind hall on day 3 of the draft.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
IMO, they won't be getting any picks in this year's draft as the trade will not be happening til after June 1st.

Although I guess there could be a trade of a scrub for a one of the 2nds. So the Packers get something from this draft. But I think it will be, 2024 1st, 2024 3rd then a pick in the 2025 draft, say a 2nd, if Rodgers plays in the 2024 season.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
IMO, they won't be getting any picks in this year's draft as the trade will not be happening til after June 1st.

Although I guess there could be a trade of a scrub for a one of the 2nds. So the Packers get something from this draft. But I think it will be, 2024 1st, 2024 3rd then a pick in the 2025 draft, say a 2nd, if Rodgers plays in the 2024 season.

Packers want to get talent around Love ASAP.

I would expect they'll get it done for those 2 x 2nd rounders with the Packers kicking in a 5th rounder.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rumor , SF showing interest
how would SF fit ARod in under the cap? They are supposed to be extending N. Bosa before year 5. I wouldn't report if I was Bosa without a new deal. DPOY (ala Donald and Mack and Watt) don't play on their 5th year options without a new deal in place. Already has a torn ACL. Time for him to get paid.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
how would SF fit ARod in under the cap? They are supposed to be extending N. Bosa before year 5. I wouldn't report if I was Bosa without a new deal. DPOY (ala Donald and Mack and Watt) don't play on their 5th year options without a new deal in place. Already has a torn ACL. Time for him to get paid.
Just listened to 2 different sports radio shows and it's reported they are interested , also rumored GB wants 2 firsts , mind you it's rumored.. CBS radio and Rome was one who opened his show with this rumor

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just listened to 2 different sports radio shows and it's reported they are interested , also rumored GB wants 2 firsts , mind you it's rumored.. CBS radio and Rome was one who opened his show with this rumor
SF projected to have just $3 mill of cap space. Bosa has a $18 mill 5th year option (but DE like TJ Watt got $28 mill average when he signed as a comparison. Bosa should be locking in an extension before he plays this season).

Williams, Armstead, have cap hits in the mid 20's. Kittle at $18 mill. McCaffrey at $12 mill. These would be your most likely cap restructures in order to fit ARod in.

I believe if they unload Lance they would still have to eat 2 years of his prorated signing bonus of $11 mill as a dead cap charge.

It seemed like 2021 was the time for SF to get ARod vs move 2 additional first rounders to get Lance. Could have cut Jimmy for like a minimal dead cap charge.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds to me that the Packers are trying to drum up some leverage. Other NFC teams were supposed to not bother asking.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sounds to me that the Packers are trying to drum up some leverage. Other NFC teams were supposed to not bother asking.
if you aren't ready to win there's no reason to pursue ARod.
Only legit options in the NFC are SF, and probably Seattle and Washington. Dallas has too much dead cap tied up in Dak to move off him. And I'm assuming GB won't deal within the North.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
if you aren't ready to win there's no reason to pursue ARod.
Only legit options in the NFC are SF, and probably Seattle and Washington. Dallas has too much dead cap tied up in Dak to move off him. And I'm assuming GB won't deal within the North.

Rodgers to SF will come full circle as the feel good story of his career.
But is San Fran willing to give up that much for him for a 1 year try?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rodgers to SF will come full circle as the feel good story of his career.
But is San Fran willing to give up that much for him for a 1 year try?
If GB is asking for pick 13 from the jets what could they want from SF as they don’t pick until the compensatory picks at the end of round 3. Lance the Packers don’t need. Could take him to flip him but what is he worth now? Maybe a second max? I don’t know.

Between the cap and the assets it doesn’t seem like SF could work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad