The AAA 2011 Draft

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
HC Davos selects LW Ron Murphy
His 44 points in 1955-56 in New York and 47 points in 1958-59 in Chicago (plus singled out to represent the Blackhawks in the all-star game) are more significant than his career high 54 points in 1968-69 in Boston. However, it was that Bruin season, his 17th NHL season, that showed he was a valuable role player on a top scoring line, as he played the whole season on the then NHL record setting highest scoring line in NHL history to date, as the third guy with stars Esposito and Hodge. Similarly, he will be the veteran third guy playing with real life tandem Semenov-Svetlov for HC Davos.

8447921.jpg

L_b14c5f0fef801288c55b2f4ef952e0cc.jpg

f85e03cc5061e766b24597e2387a.jpg

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Considering Nikolai Sologubov and Ivan Tregubov are ATD picks(where they belong is still up for debate), this guy is certainly worthy of selection here in the AAA Draft. A 3x Soviet All Star as a defenseman, D Alfred Kuchevsky.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Considering Nikolai Sologubov and Ivan Tregubov are ATD picks(where they belong is still up for debate), this guy is certainly worthy of selection here in the AAA Draft. A 3x Soviet All Star as a defenseman, D Alfred Kuchevsky.
Yeah, I'm not really big on 1950's Soviets. There's an exponential increase in skill and performance between the early generation and the Tarasov sixties generation that directly preceded the '72 Series. Still, Kuchevsky belongs in this draft imo (I introduced him to the board back in the AA10 draft; last year papershoes chose him much too early, in MLD 2010, because of his themed team).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The latest giant Indian head is

Kevin McCarthy, D

-RH shot for the PP.
-Played in the 1981 All Star Game

-Captain of the Vancouver Canucks from 1980-1982
-Member of the Manitoba HHOF

-4 straight 40+ point seasons and 5 straight 36+ point seasons.

-5 years peak: His 219 points from 1979-80 to 1984-85 are 63% of 2nd place Paul Coffey and 67-68% of 3rd/4th place Denis Potvin/Doug Wilson.

legends of hockey said:
Kevin McCarthy was a gifted offensive defenceman who played over 500 NHL games for three different teams in the 1970s and '80s. His crisp passes and hard shot from the point made him an important part of the power play unit and a key to his team's transition game.
The young rearguard was steady during his rookie season in 1977-78 but the Flyers were deep on defence. In December 1978, he was the key to a deal with the Vancouver Canucks that involved former top-five draft pick Dennis Ververgaert. McCarthy fit in well with his new club as he quarterbacked the power play and moved the puck up ice on a regular basis. He hit double figures in goals three times, topped 40 points on four occasions and took part in the 1981 NHL All-Star Game.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The latest giant Indian head is

Kevin McCarthy, D

-RH shot for the PP.
-Played in the 1981 All Star Game

-Captain of the Vancouver Canucks from 1980-1982
-Member of the Manitoba HHOF

-4 straight 40+ point seasons and 5 straight 36+ point seasons.

-5 years peak: His 219 points from 1979-80 to 1984-85 are 63% of 2nd place Paul Coffey and 67-68% of 3rd/4th place Denis Potvin/Doug Wilson.

Great pick, I debated picking him yesterday before going with Norton. Alas I thought it was to early for him, still a good pick on your part.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Detroit Cougars selects: Benoit Hough, LW

The Buffalo Sabres selected Benoit Hogue 35th overall in the second round of the 1985 NHL Entry Draft. The scouting report on Hogue was that he was a strong two-way player who knew how to defend his own end of the rink while also having the ability to put the puck in the net.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yeah, I'm not really big on 1950's Soviets. There's an exponential increase in skill and performance between the early generation and the Tarasov sixties generation that directly preceded the '72 Series. Still, Kuchevsky belongs in this draft imo (I introduced him to the board back in the AA10 draft; last year papershoes chose him much too early, in MLD 2010, because of his themed team).

I think the true cream of the crop of the 50s Soviets deserve recognition, though people need to realize they weren't in any way a step up from the cream of the crop of the 50s-70s Swedes, or the occasional 50s/60s Canadian non-NHLer who was kept out of the NHL for other reasons (Seth Martin losing his pension would be one).

For players such as this, I prefer to look at how they did internationally, rather than against their relatively weak domestic leagues.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Detroit Cougars selects: Benoit Hough, LW
Of course you mean Hogue. I think him a quality 2nd line two-way left winger in this draft. He was a lot like Ulf Dahlen I recall often thinking back then: a strong, responsible secondary scoring winger who suffered from multiple nagging injuries, showing when healthy how valuable he can be.

89-90_hogue.jpg

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
One of the top offensive players in this draft. Terrible work ethic and defensive play, though.

Exactly. Although, much like O'Neill, all I can say is, "that's what's left now."

McCarthy was an excellent pick, top-5 on my list.

I might just skip today and make a double tomorrow; we'll see.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Exactly. Although, much like O'Neill, all I can say is, "that's what's left now."

I didn't mean to criticize the pick at all; when all is said and done, Quinn will end up a top offensive player at this level. Just make sure to cover his weaknesses.

I see him as a very similar player to Jimmy Carson, but with a lower peak and more longevity.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I didn't mean to criticize the pick at all; when all is said and done, Quinn will end up a top offensive player at this level. Just make sure to cover his weaknesses.

I see him as a very similar player to Jimmy Carson, but with a lower peak and more longevity.

yeah , and the more I look at other players at this level , the more I think a Semin-Quinn combination , while pretty bad at defense and work ethic , is still enormously talented offensively.I will probably find a defensive-physical right wing to play with them and will play Drouin-Joe Murphy on the 2nd...

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
yeah , and the more I look at other players at this level , the more I think a Semin-Quinn combination , while pretty bad at defense and work ethic , is still enormously talented offensively.I will probably find a defensive-physical right wing to play with them and will play Drouin-Joe Murphy on the 2nd...

A Semin-Quinn-Goldsworthy line would be pretty kickass. You can't have him.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
how can I see the list of defenseman ranked by points for every seasons? is it possible to see this with hockey referance?

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Montreal select Lowell MacDonald LW

top 10 goals: 6th
top 10 points: 9th
1973 & 1974 all star game

Macdonald had 4 consecutive strong season with the pittsburgh penguins in the 70s before retiring because of injuries.

He won the bill masterton trophy

Unless I change my mind later , MacDonald complete my 2nd line:

Alexander Semin - Dan Quinn - xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lowell MacDonald - Jude Drouin - Joe Murphy

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
HC Davos selects D Grant Ledyard

20091118-Interior-Ledyard.jpg

Member of the Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame

Manitoba HOF said:
Grant Ledyard eventually played 1,028 National Hockey League games and wore nine different uniforms, but the Winnipeg native first became known in Manitoba for something that never happened. The big defenceman from Fort Garry was not drafted by the NHL.

For many players, that would have been the end of the dream and a different hockey road might have been taken with lesser expectations. But not Ledyard. He went back to his roots, more determined than ever, was signed as a free agent by the New York Rangers on July 7, 1982 and carved out a superb 18-year NHL career. It was his first of six free-agent signings.

Ledyard's greatest season of hockey might have been his final year with the Manitoba Junior Hockey League's Fort Garry Blues when he recorded 70 points in 63 games (25 goals, 45 assists). It was enough to attract a New York Rangers scout who inked Ledyard to a deal that sent him to the minors to prove himself. He earned his first NHL job out of the Rangers' training camp 1984-85 and played in 42 games scoring eight goals and 12 assists. But he was traded midway through the season to Los Angeles Kings, the first of five trades he experienced. The six-foot-2, 200-pound Ledyard also had NHL stops with Washington Capitals, Buffalo Sabres, Dallas Stars, Vancouver Canucks, Boston Bruins, Ottawa Senators and Tampa Bay Lightning.

Though Manitobans will say it was as soon as he picked up a hockey stick, the Sabres proudly state it was in Buffalo where Ledyard gained the reputation that stayed with him throughout his career of being "a quiet leader" who was "highly appreciated by his teammates and coaches."

But it was in Dallas in 1993-94 where he had his best NHL season, playing all 84 games scoring nine goals and 46 points.

When Grant Ledyard officially retired from the NHL in 2003, he had scored 90 goals and recorded 276 assists for 366 points. He was inducted into the Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame in 2005. Not a bad run for a kid nobody wanted to draft, certainly a career that continues to lend hope to every Manitoba kid that dreams of the Big League and definitely a proud addition to the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad