The AAA 2011 Draft

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The son of an NFL and CFL quarterback, Grant Ledyard actually was small for his age until he grew suddenly at age 18 into his 6'2 190 lbs frame that got him a New York Rangers contract. He had been a Manitoba juniors MVP and all-star, quickly impressed in the Rangers farm system as CHL most improved dman, going on to a 1000+ game NHL career, scoring 366 points, plus a respectable 18 points in 83 NHL playoff games. He had a half dozen 100+ shot seasons including 177 in Dallas in 93/94 when he scored a career-high 46 points. He could hit, pass and even stick up for teammates in the occasional fight, though by no means a goon. The steady, team player manned the powerplay for L.A., Buffalo and Dallas.

t_40111.jpg

... a well-rounded defender who can contribute at both ends of the ice.. an agile skater with a booming shot from the point
http://images.checkoutmycards.com/zoom-back/7fa8c8c5-0cc7-4cb1-a124-41280627f164.jpg

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
We'll pick Alexander Semak, C

He was a budding superstar in the USSR, a great performer in the 1987 Canada Cup, was a Soviet League All Star center and 3rd in Soviet League MVP voting in 1990-91. Then went to the NHL, had one very good season, before becoming plagued by injuries.

I'll post more info later.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
We'll pick Alexander Semak, C

He was a budding superstar in the USSR, a great performer in the 1987 Canada Cup, was a Soviet League All Star center and 3rd in Soviet League MVP voting in 1990-91. Then went to the NHL, had one very good season, before becoming plagued by injuries.

I'll post more info later.

Wanted him as a second liner.. good pick TDMM

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Detroit Cougars selects: Ysebaert, C/W

Paul was a decent player, especially when in a complimentary role. He had explosive speed which made him a good penalty killer and forechecker. He had a quick hard shot which he used well in Detroit, but rushed too often in Tampa Bay. He wasn't much of a physical force, but was a competitive player who would take a hit to make a play any day.

Last edited:

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
C Larry Popein

1957-58_Topps_54_Larry_Popein_front.jpg

5 consecutive 30+ point seasons but it's his two-way play, hustle, and physicality that I really liked.

LoH said:
Popein, a man of few words and a grim facial expression, quickly established himself as a hustling, two-way centreman, flanked by Bathgate and Dean Prentice. The line became the Rangers' best although Prentice and Bathgate got the lion's share of points while Popein remained, as he often called himself, the scoreless pivot.

He stayed as a Ranger regular until 1961 when he was sent back to the Vancouver Canucks of the WHL. There he contentedly played for his adopted hometown for seven seasons. But in 1967, the NHL doubled in size, opening up a need for experienced vets like Larry Popein. The Oakland Seals made him a cash offer that was hard to refuse. He joined the NHL for one final run of 47 games before heading back to the minors where he rounded out his on-ice career with Vancouver and Omaha.

Kamloops The Daily News said:
A 5-foot-9, 170-pounder whose 20 seasons as a professional player encompassed the 1950s and ’60s, you know he had to scratch and claw for everything he got.

Devout hockey fans will remember Popein as a smallish centre who played 449 NHL games, all but 47 of those with the New York Rangers in the six-team NHL.

How good was he?

In hockey parlance, Popein brought his lunch bucket and his hardhat to work every single day. It is said that he could hit like “thunder.”
He put up 221 points and was the middleman on one of the NHL’s top lines, skating between Andy Bathgate and Dean Prentice.

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20110601/KAMLOOPS0201/110609996/-1/kamloops/canucks-have-the-pope-in-their-corner

Last edited:

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I don't believe this man has ever been selected in a draft here before, but I want to have some fun with this. I can't find very much about him at all, aside from his scoring finishes in 3 seasons. I'm not even sure what position he played, so let's just call him a forward. F Cam Davidson

2x Stanley Cup Champion(I think)

Scoring finishes(87-99 are the only years I can find that he played): 4th(47% of 1st place, 75% of 2nd place. 1st place Trihey was an outlier), 1st(100% of 1st place), and 8th(42% of 1st place). If anyone could tell me even what teams he played for before or after these years, I'd appreciate it. For now, he'll be on my 2nd line, but that could change.

Drinkwater, Grant, xxx and Cam Davidson dominated for the victors in one of the most lopsided encounters in Stanley Cup history.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/LegendsMember.jsp?mem=p195002&page=bio&list=

Cam Davidson headlined the cast of scoring leaders with 14 goals in seven regular-season games

http://stanleycupplayoffs2008.com/tscYearByYearHighlights.aspx?Start=1893&End=1899

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
:clap: One of a half dozen off-the-board undrafteds I wanted to premiere this year.

Cam Davidson is Shirley Davidson's brother, sons of the Honourable Mr. Justice Davidson. They played together for McGill and the Montreal Victorias (Vics). Cam won Stanley Cups between 1896-99, and a significant role in at least two of them.

On Dec 30th 1896 the Stanley Cup returned to Montreal when the Montreal Vics defeated the Winnipeg Vics 6-5. Here is from the game:

Graham Drinkwater scored the go ahead goal in the second half. He teamed with Davidson and McDougall to form a deadly combination.
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2007/03/1896-montreal-victorias-reclaim-stanley.html

Then Cam won the 1897 Stanley Cup:
The Montreal Victorias made it 3 Stanley Cups in a row in 1897....Point man harold Henderson did not miss any games this season, his third Cup winning year with Victorias....Cam Davidson played all year with the Vics, league play and challenge Cup both.... Injuries limited Graham Drinkwater to four games of AHA play, but he was front and center in the challenge game in combination with Davidson and Bob McDougall.
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2007/03/1897-montreal-victorias-three-time.html

He was a factor in the team keeping the cup in 1898:
The Montreal Victorias claimed their fourth consecutive AHA title, romping to the championship with a perfect record of 8–0–0. Vics forward Cam Davidson headlined the cast of scoring leaders with 14 goals in seven regular-season games. As champions of the AHA, the Montreal team retained the Stanley Cup and was not called upon to defend it.
http://stanleycupplayoffs2008.com/tscYearByYearHighlights.aspx?Start=1893&End=1899

Cam is listed on the Feb 1899 Stanley Cup roster too, along with Russel Bowie, Mike Grant, Graham Drinkwater, Bob McDougall, among others.

stc1898.jpg

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Sorry for the the delay, was out all weekend.

Seeing as how I've got some catching up to do, here are my three picks:

Dawson City selects diminutive Russian speedster Nikolai Borschevsky, along with fellow Olympians Jack Johnson and Erik Johnson.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Just wondering, where were you planning on selecting him?
Selecting him or playing him? Two different questions. I usually start looking at off-the-board picks in the middle of the draft, since the odds of them going earlier is so small, since no one ever has before!

We were thinking of taking our first off-the-boarder two rounds ago but I convinced DaveG to wait on the guy, despite us playing him in an important position.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
LW Johnny Sheppard

008115314.jpg

x2 Top 10 NHL Assists (7th, 10th)
x1 Top 15 NHL Points (15th)
x1 Top 15 NHL Goals (11th)
x1 Stanley Cup Winner (1934)

LoH said:
After only eleven games with the Selkirk Fishermen of the MHL Sr., where he collected twelve points, Johnny Sheppard signed with the WCHL's Edmonton Eskimos as a free agent for the 1922-23 season. After four seasons with Edmonton, Sheppard was traded to the Detroit Cougars for cash in 1926, and that is where he began his NHL career.

Sheppard played in Detroit for two seasons before being dealt to the New York Americans in 1928. In his first season with his new team, Sheppard saw his first NHL playoff experience only to be ousted in the first round by their cross-town rival Rangers. The 1929-30 season saw Sheppard collect his NHL career high in points with 29 in 43 games though the team missed the playoffs for the next few years. After five seasons in New York, Sheppard was traded once again, this time to the Boston Bruins, in 1933. His stay in Boston lasted only four games before he was released, though he signed as a free agent with the Chicago Blackhawks.

The Hawks finished the season behind the Red Wings, but would have the last laugh in the playoffs. After going through both the Montreal teams, the Canadiens and the Maroons, the Hawks found themselves in the Stanley Cup final against the Wings. It took only four games to bring Chicago its first Stanley Cup championship, and for Sheppard his first and only Cup. He left the NHL with his championship and played for two more seasons with the NWHL's Seattle Seahawks before hanging up his skates for good in 1936.

Detroit Red Wings History said:
The skilled left-winger was the first member of the Detroit organization to pull on the famous No. 9 jersey and with 13-8-21 totals in 1926-27, was the first player to lead the club in all three categories. He also led the team with 60 penalty minutes that inaugural campaign and he and Ted Lindsay are the only players in franchise history to top the club in scoring and penalty minutes in the same season.

Purchased from the Edmonton Eskimos of the Western Hockey League, the elder Sheppard was a bundle of speed, energy and courage. Called "Wee Johnny" due to his diminutive 5-foot-7, 165-pound frame, Sheppard was a rugged competitor who once worked as a trapper near the Arctic Circle. The deadly finisher possessed blazing speed on his skates.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=43833

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Montreal select a player that will bring defensive skills as well as leadership whikle being capable of putting the puck in the net once in a while in Greg Gilbert LW

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Detroit Cougars are proud to select a Manitoban hall of famer, the right winger Nick Wasnie.

Over the course of his 15-year career in professional hockey, Winnipeg native Nick Wasnie wore a dozen different sweaters, five bearing NHL crests. His longest and most notable stretch was from 1929-30 through 1931-32, patrolling the right wing for the Canadiens in that time.

The 5-foot-11, 174-pound forward broke into the NHL with the 1927-28 Chicago Blackhawks, scoring a single goal in 15 appearances. Signed by the Habs as a free agent after spending 1928-29 with the CAHA Newark Bears he rose to the occasion, becoming a valued contributor to the team’s success.

Playing alongside Howie Morenz and Aurele Joliat, the quiet and reserved Wasnie had no trouble keeping up with his flamboyant linemates once the puck was dropped. He potted a dozen regular season goals in 1929-30, adding 11 assists. Come playoff time, he chipped in four points on the way to Montreal’s third Stanley Cup title in the spring of 1930.

A skilled stickhandler with one of the most powerful shots of his era, something he later attributed to a slight curve in his blade, Wasnie slipped to only 11 regular season points in 1930-31 but bounced back in the postseason, lighting the lamp four times and having his name inscribed upon the Stanley Cup a second time when the Canadiens repeated as champions.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
HC Davos selects 6'5, 235 lbs D Mike "Rat" Rathje, the two-time juniors all-star and world juniors champion who was drafted 3rd overall by San Jose and spent nearly a decade on the Sharks blueline before Philly offered $3.5 million per season for his services. He didn't score or hit enough for top-3 overall draft status in some people's books, but he was respected for his defensive skill. He averaged 20+ minutes/game over 10+ NHL seasons (before injuries ended his career) while playing a game most often described as "solid". He wasn't fast but he had skating skill to go along with decent puck skills, and with his size he covered the defensive zone well, from boards to crease. He is a bona fide number '1' stay at home defenseman in the Tarasov 1-2-2 unit formation that he had Romishevsky playing a halfback in, so pairing up Rathje with Romishevsky is a natural fit for HC Davos.

sp_sharks104.jpg

...uses his size and extensive reach to ward off opponents to good effect. He also knows how to control the hot spots in his own defensive zone through excellent positioning... a steady defensive defenceman ... The hulking defenceman has been an instrumental part of San Jose's defensive core, who can carry the puck and uses his size and strength to take the body and work the boards.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=11349

USF Shark, a moderator on HfBoards, really put it well:
He was great at rubbing people out along the boards and made the smart defensive plays. People only hate him because we "drafted him too high" and "wasted" a pick on him when we could have gotten him later in the draft. But he was really a solid guy back there.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=5274476

... is regarded as one of the toughest defensemen to move. Isn't particularly quick, but his game is geared for a stay at home type style of play. Is best when partnered with an offensive minded defenseman, in order to establish balance.

Will play fundamental hockey, not flashy. Has a low shot tailored for screened goaltenders.
http://www.letsgosharks.com/profiles/rathje_mike.htm

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The Springfield Indians draft Tom Fergus, C

seventieslord said:
Fergus was a very good playmaker but also a good goalscorer for a center. He played a decent defensive game and was a regular on the penalty kill too. Where he had problems was in the consistency of his intensity level sometimes. When he didn't play as big as his 6'3" stature he wasn't as effective. (this appeared to have become a problem after about 1988) ... Fergus had 581 points in 726 games and a very decent 38 in 65 playoff games ... "Has good moves offensively, especially around the net, and is reliable defensively... doesn't take a lot of penalties but still plays an aggressive, hard-driving game... can't be pushed around... good at digging the puck out of the corners... acquiring him was one of the Leafs' best moves of the past 10 years... intense checker... served as acting Captain when Vaive was stripped... hard worker, intense checker, team's top faceoff man, assistant captain, enjoys killing penalties

He'll be a two-way center for our 3rd line.

Last edited:

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
How many forwards were in the league when he finished 15th in scoring?

It was out of 132 on hockey-reference but I understand how dubious it is. It's just under 50% of 1st place, I had it listed in my notes and just carried it over. I just liked Sheppard's skillset coupled with few years of good scoring, the assists finishes aren't as weak, and felt like Yakushev could be complimented well by it.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I feel like a pretty decent comparison for Rathje would be the AAA's version of Ragulin. Big guy, hard to move, solid first pass, good PK for the level, tough as nails. Rathje is probably a better skater for the level though. And of course seeing as how I selected Ragulin this year's ATD (although traded him later for offensive help), I like the Rathje pick here too.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Rathje could carry the puck and made a good first pass? That's news to me. He was absolutely awful at those two things in his short time in Philadelphia. I assume his SJ days must have been better(it's be pretty much impossible for them not to be).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Greg Gilbert LW

10260_1.jpg

legendsofhockey said:
Left-winger Greg Gilbert played over 800 NHL games with four different clubs in the 80s and 90s. He possessed above average offensive talent but carved a niche for himself as a big leaguer based on stellar defensive work and leadership skills.

Gilbert looked solid while playing ten playoff games to help the Islanders win their fourth straight Stanley Cup. The next season he scored 31 goals while playing...and aided the club's drive to the final where they lost to the Edmonton Oilers. Gilbert eventually settled into a checking role on the club as it began to rebuild in the mid-80s.

In 1992 he was an important role player on the Hawks when they drove all the way to the Stanley Cup final. The veteran winger was signed as a free agent by the New York Rangers prior to the 1993-94 season then contributed to the franchise's first Stanley Cup triumph

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Since I last came in to comment, Sheppard, Fergus and Davidson are my favourite picks.

I will post more on these guys later, but for now -

-------------------------------------------------------------

Regina selects Coach Ron Wilson, who has a boatload of NHL experiemce including a 1998 SCF run, plus a 1996 world cup, 2002 and 2010 silver olympic medals.

Ron Wilson, Coach

081106-ron-wilson-9a.widec.jpg

- Stanley Cup Finalist (1998)
- 590-511-178 in NHL regular season (.531)
- 47-48 in NHL playoffs (.495)
- 4 Division Titles
- Has placed 2nd, 3rd, 5th in Adams Voting
- World Cup Champion (1996)
- Olympic Silver Medalist (2010)
- Three-time World Championship Coach

NY Times said:
I know I can coach,” Wilson said Friday, after the Americans improved to 5-0 in these Olympics with a 6-1 rout of Finland. “I didn’t come into these Games to — I’m searching for the word — justify my coaching career.”

Wilson coached the United States to one of its greatest triumphs, beating Canada in Montreal to win the 1996 World Cup of Hockey. He has led the Americans at three world championships, in 1994, 1996 and 2009, advancing to the semifinals of each tournament.

He knows how to coach international hockey, and that knowledge has been on display here. Wilson’s Leafs stress physical play and truculence; this United States team has been a model of restraint — physical, but careful to stay within the stricter international rules governing body checking.

“I just love our discipline throughout this tourney,” Wilson said. “We haven’t ever hit back at somebody or retaliated to any slight. We’ve turned our cheek, and it’s been to the team’s benefit that we’ve played that way.”

“Anytime we’ve made mistakes and need to play better, Ron has been very calm,” goalie Ryan Miller said. “I think that’s the kind of demeanor the team needed, and it’s just kind of filtered down.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

We also select Radek Bonk, C, who was a solid defensive forward who once placed 7th in selke voting, was one of the NHL's most frequent hitters, and somehow is one of the five most accomplished post-67 NHL scorers left. (Simple metric: sum of best 5 percentage seasons)

radek-bonk.jpg

- 6'3", 210
- #1 center on a presidents trophy team (2003)
- 7th in Selke voting (2001)
- 8th in hits among forwards, 1999-2002

Bonk was 8th in recorded hits by a forward from 1999-2002 before the NHL abolished the stat and removed all records of it, except of course from the printed records (for this reason the 2003 official guide and record book is a great resource) - players ahead: Doan, Roberts, M.Lapointe, O'Neill, Holik, Laperriere, McCarty.

Hockey Scouting Report 2002 said:
Bonk does a competent job as a 32 center...Bonk can't utilize his skills when he can't accelerate away from stick checks. His skating is the primary reason why he has not been able to be an impact scorer in the NHL as he was in the minors, and why he has never lived up to expectations of being the 3rd player drafted overall... but he is far from the bust some people thought... Bonk is a puck magnet; the puck always seems to end up in his stick in the slot... he is a smart and creative passer and plays well in advance of his years, with a great deal of poise... defensively, Bonk keeps improving. He performed frequently as a 3rd-line center. he is decent at faceoffs, and can be used to kill penalties because of his anticipation. He is a poor man's Bobby Holik when he plays with a little edge... although Bonk has good size, he does not show signs of becoming a power forward. He is aggressive only in pursuit of the puck. He goes into the corners and wins many one on one battles because of his strength and hand skills.

McKeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook 2003 said:
rugged Czech did an admirable job assuming Yashin's vacated #1 spot...a big, strong pivot with a balanced mix of speed, skill and power, Bonk doesn't have any glaring weaknesses nor is he exceptional in any particular area, either...

Sports Forecaster 2004 said:
Dominant on the boards and smart in all three zones, Bonk is a big part of Ottawa's offense and is usually asked to check the NHL's best pivots. He plays prime minutes on special teams.

-------------------------------------------------------

Regina also selects Adam Brown, LW, to be the first line physical presence. Brown had solid offensive skills and with percentage scores of 69, 60, and 42, was among the more accomplished pre-expansion wingers out there. (A tad below Johnny Sheppard) my bio from last year's A draft indicates he was a tough player with the ability to throw huge hits.

Adam Brown, LW

adambrown.jpg

- 5'9, 175 lbs
- Stanley Cup (1943)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1942)

"Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide of Everyone Who has Ever Played in the NHL” says Adam Brown “made the Red Wings immediately due to his superb skating and unwillingness to back down from rough play”. Brown was top-20 in goals twice, including once in the top-10. He had 217 points and 378 PIM in 391 games over 9 NHL seasons. In 1946 he was 9th in goals and in 1947 he was 6th in assists, showing he could do both effectively. He was top-10 in PIMs twice, won the 1943 cup with Detroit and lost the finals the year before with them. When he was sent down to the AHL after his rookie season, he rebounded by being named to the first All-Star team down there. LOH.net describes him as a “reliable goal scorer who could stand his ground in front of the net and win battles for the puck along the boards” and notes that he “was a solid defensive player for nearly five years in Chicago” – Brown makes a good first line glue guy at this level with all that he brings.

Brown was one of just 10 players who had scored 30+ points in a season three times before expansion. He was also one of just five remaining who had scored 40+ points twice in that time.

Fischler's Hockey Encyclopedia said:
Bill Gadsby was one of the fiercest checkers in hockey. Gadsby's personal favourite bodycheck was administered by Adam Brown... Brown hit Montreal's Norm Dussault about 1/3 of the way in from the boards. "Dussault's stick flew into the crowd", Gadsby said. "So did one of his gloves. And the other glove flew about 30 feet down the ice. The best thing about it was the way Brown stood over him with his chest out, looking like Tarzan, and Dussault laying flat on the ice."

Hockey's Historic Highlights said:
Adam Brown, a hard-nosed forward with Detroit...

I can't remember the source, but I know that just recently I read he was called "one punch Brown" because of his proficiency at fighting.

With Brown's offensive resume being excellent for an available pre-expansion player, and his other skills (hitting, fighting, defense), there is no reason he couldn't be an effective MLD 4th liner, like Pete Horeck.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad