The AAA 2011 Draft

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
The Cleve..uhh..I mean..Springfield Indians select an underrated Swedish center from the 50's and 60's that may not have been under the spotlight, but was one of the biggest keys to that national team for over a decade.

C - Nils Nilsson

While TDMM and I put together a detailed and extensive bio, please refer to Hedberg's from the previous AA draft.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=29089531&postcount=58

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
LW Dutch Gainor

7272083_1048082583.jpg

x1 Top 10 Goals (8th)
x1 Top 10 Assists (2nd)
x2 Top 15 Points (13th and 10th)
x1 Stanley Cup Champion

Norman "Dutch" Gainor came up through the ASHL ranks before playing with the Duluth Hornets of the CHL in 1925-26. That catapulted him to Calgary for one year before he was sent to the Boston Bruins by Minneapolis, who owned his AHA rights.

Gainor appeared in 42 games with the Bruins in his first NHL season in 1927-28 and contributed eight goals and 12 points. He played four years in Beantown and his most productive NHL season occurred in 1929-30 when he tallied 18 goals and 49 points in 42 games. It was often said Gainor was plagued with the worst set of varicose veins known to mankind. But cosmetic appearance never seemed to bother Gainor, and it definitely did not effect his play as he was considered one of the top left wingers in the NHL in the mid to late 1920s.

In the summer of 1931 Gainor was stunned to learn he had been traded to the New York Rangers. He played just one year in the Big Apple and was traded to Ottawa after a sub-par offensive season. His last NHL stop was in 1934-35 when he dressed for 35 games with the Montreal Maroons.

In 246 NHL games Gainor scored 51 goals and 107 points. He died in 1960 at the age of 56.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=12668

They were led by Hall of Famers Cooney Weiland (league leading 43 goals, 73 points) and Dit Clapper (41 goals, 61 points), two thirds of the "Dynamite Line." The other member of that line was Calgary, Alberta's Dutch Gainor. Gainor, a slick playmaker, scored 18 goals and 31 assists (second in the league to Frank Boucher's 36 helpers) for 49 points in his 3rd NHL season.

Gainor joined the Bruins in 1927 prior to the three zone rule changes, and became a significant contributor the Bruins first Stanley Cup Championship in 1929. Gainor scored 14 times in the regular season and added two more in 5 playoff games.

The Dutchman was maybe the greatest four-year hockey player who ever skated, but he lived fast and was finished quick.

The thing about Gainor was his two-way shift, left and right. He’d shift left and one defenceman would be faked out of his jersey. He’d fake right and the other defenseman would be deked out of his jockey shorts. Then Dutch would swoop in, unmolested, ramming the puck at the goalie or passing it to a flying winger.

Oldtimers still talk about the Gainor shift, it was that memorable. Most players can shift one way, but not one in a hundred can do it both ways.

A compliment by Ching Johnson in 1929-30 where he picked Gainor as a wing man on his all-star team help’s Gainor’s case:

"On the wings? Lemme see. Well, I guess "Dutch" Gainor of the Bruins would do. He's awfully tricky and deceptive. Fast, too."
In explaining why he would pick Gainor over Morenz or Joliat:
"He's different. Howie depends entirely on his speed. He doesn't stickhandle at all. You can figure Howie, but you can't figure a fellow like Gainor. You never know whether he's going to the right or left, or over or under you."
http://bruinslegends.blogspot.com/2007/12/norman-dutch-gainor.html

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Oliver Seibert is a particularly strange case, because he was inducted into the HHOF in 1961, while most of the really questionable inductees were inducted in the huge class of 1962.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn’t call Daze an elite winger, but when all is said and done he will probably be a good one. He’s not as good as O’Neill though. O’Neill’s 5 best percentage seasons add up to 310, Daze is just at 271. O’Neill was a physical beast at his peak, Daze never was. Neither had any defensive ability whatsoever. O’Neill was often maddeningly inconsistent. Daze always was. The reason Daze has a better career PPG is because O’Neill played 37% more games than him. Daze was a better peak goal scorer though.

Daze played 8 full seasons. Let's take a look at those 8 full seasons compared to O'Neill's best 8 seasons.

Goals/Game

Daze-.383(221 goals in 577 games
O'Neill-.327(199 goals in 609 games)

Assists/Game

Daze-.284(164 in 577 games)
O'Neill-.343(209 in 609 games)

Points/Game

Daze-.667(385 in 577 games)
O'Neill-.667(408 in 609 games)

Can you explain to me how Daze was always inconsistent, but O'Neill only sometimes was? In those 8 seasons, Daze never dropped below 20 goals. 20 goals in 8 straight seasons in the Dead Puck era is pretty good at this level. O'Neill only ever had 4 in a row, and had one other 20 goal season. He also had 2 19 goal seasons. Even if you count those(which I don't fully), that's still only 7. And they were splattered throughout his career. Daze's was 8 straight. The only 8 full seasons he played(and two were 54 and 59 game seasons). Admittedly, Daze had an insane combination of hands and size that he didn't use to its full advantage. He used his size sometimes, but didn't initiate physicality and impose it on people like he could have.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Didn't Ron Francis center Jeff O'Neil in his 4 good seasons? That's quite a bit better than Alexei Zhamnov, the best center on Chicago when Daze was there.

That very well could make up for the fact that O'Neil had the better peak statistically (4 straight seasons in the 60 point range vs. 1 70 point season for Daze).

Last edited:

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Just from sheer memory (and despite my age then I shockingly remember this pretty well) outside of O'Neill's 40 goal year, I always remember Daze as the better between the two. Could very well have had to do with the markets they played in, but I just remember my formative years of hockey remembering Daze, and outside of one year largely forgetting O'Neill (even though he's definitely not a one year wonder)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I forget how old you are and if you can really remember Daze or not, but when I say he was maddeningly inconsistent, it was because that was how he was perceived. From game to game you didn’t know what you were going to get. Think of the current forward whose GM said he saw the contract as a finish line instead of the start. O’Neill was often dogged by this too, just not as much.

Not sure what all the goals stats are for. I already said Daze was the better peak goalscorer. I’m not surprised though, that your focus is goals and not points, as Daze’s assist to goal ratio is in the bottom-5 all-time, along with Wendel Clark and Darryl Sutter. As a result, they end up even on a points-per-game level. So yes, on a per-game level you could say he is at O’Neill’s level offensively, but physically it is a much different tale (O'Neill once led either the league or at least forwards in hits), and of course that’s per-game only. His short and injury-riddled career means he’s going to miss some. In addition I would expect Daze to get there a bit “uglierâ€; meaning if he ends up with the same PPG average as O’Neill, he would get there with some multiple point games and a few bad pointless streaks.

To answer TDMM, yes, it was probably easier to put up points with 2000-2003 Ron Francis. The sample Billy used was based on 8 seasons for O’Neill though, just four of which were with Francis. I can’t say for sure how long Daze played with Zhamnov –it might have been from 1997 until Zhamnov’s 2004 trade. Ignoring that last season, their per-game averages are .804 and .668, meaning Daze was scoring at 83% of Zhamnov’s level. Over in Carolina for those four seasons, it was .844 and .797, meaning O’Neill was barely a coattail rider, scoring at 94% of Francis’ level.

So, we’re back where we started. Daze was the better peak goal scorer, and on a per-game basis about equal offensively. I see no other area in which I would give him an advantage.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Just from sheer memory (and despite my age then I shockingly remember this pretty well) outside of O'Neill's 40 goal year, I always remember Daze as the better between the two. Could very well have had to do with the markets they played in, but I just remember my formative years of hockey remembering Daze, and outside of one year largely forgetting O'Neill (even though he's definitely not a one year wonder)

I remember Daze as more highly regarded than O'Neil, as well, but I think it's because Daze was considered "the guy" in Chicago, while Ron Francis was "the guy" in Carolina. Of course, Daze was one of those guys who was hyped up because of his very good rookie season, despite the fact that it would take him 5 more years before he matched his rookie output.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
any comments on my last 3 picks?

jude drouin
philip boucher
joe reekie

any constructive comments or facepalms are welcome

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I forget how old you are and if you can really remember Daze or not, but when I say he was maddeningly inconsistent, it was because that was how he was perceived. From game to game you didn’t know what you were going to get. Think of the current forward whose GM said he saw the contract as a finish line instead of the start. O’Neill was often dogged by this too, just not as much.

My only real memory of Daze was him dominating the All Star Game and winning the MVP award for the game. Besides that, I just remember him as a really big guy with good hands.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
any comments on my last 3 picks?

jude drouin
philip boucher
joe reekie
We wanted Reekie as a crease-clearing, stay at home simple physical defenseman to play the penalty kill. :rant:

Drouin was a marginal 2nd line center consideration and Boucher wasn't thought of at all, but in hindsight he does have a decent 5-year stretch with two pretty good offensive seasons, an all-star game and a cup, though there are 22 dmen on our longlist he wouldn't beat out.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
We wanted Reekie as a crease-clearing, stay at home simple physical defenseman to play the penalty kill. :rant:

Drouin was a marginal 2nd line center consideration and Boucher wasn't thought of at all, but in hindsight he does have a decent 5-year stretch with two pretty good offensive seasons, an all-star game and a cup, though there are 22 dmen on our longlist he wouldn't beat out.

Agree, I looked forward to the chance to draft Reekie a bit later. He made a career out of being as dominant a #4-5 defenseman as I've ever seen.

Drouin was a marginal 2nd line consideration here as well, but IIRC, he has some grit/defense to him so I'd have looked at him as a 3rd/4th liner with the ability to pop in some clutch offense.

Boucher was further down my list but I wouldn't call him a bad pick either.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Dawson City selects left-winger Jeff Friesen.

One of San Jose's first true "stars", he never could bring them to the promised land, or build on his immense potential. Did manage to get his named etched on the Stanley Cup while in New Jersey, playing a pivotal role in their ousting of Ottawa along the way.

Finished (?) his NHL career with 218 goals and 516 points in 893 games.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Detroit Cougars selects Jim Niekamp, D.

Although he had a very fine shot he never scored more than 7 goals in a season. Jim's strongest asset was without a doubt his ability to block shots. Many believed that if WHA would have had shot blocking as an official stat that Jim would be at the top every year. Jim's teammate in Phoenix, goalie Jack Norris also agreed that Jim was a great shotblocker.

Jim started out as a winger when he was a youngster but as soon as he shifted to defense his great shot blocking came automatically. He in fact even helped develop a new piece of protective equipment that helped prevent injuries when blocking shots. It was a light foam-rubber pad that covered a player's chest and took out the sting out of blocking a shot with the upper body. The equipment was then manufactured by Cooper in Canada and KOHO in Finland.

By the way - Jim Niekamp's nickname was "*******." I do not know the story behind the nickname. In fact, I'm not sure I want to know.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
The Mallards select C Viktor Yakushev

obj_ee51ae3da364cbd379f6059673fba31d2a14477f.jpg

x2 1st Soviet League All-Star Team
x1 3rd Soviet League All-Star Team

x1 Olympic Gold Medalist
x5 WC Gold Medalist
x1 WC All-Star Team ('63-'64)

x1 Russian League Goal Leader ('59)
- 162 Goals in 400 Russian League Games
- Led Russians In Goals at 1964 Olympics
- Led Russians In Goals at 1959 Worlds
- Led Russians In Assists, 2nd in Points, at 1965 Worlds
- 28 Goals, 29 Assists, 57 Points in 57 International games
- 36th in goals, 31st in games with Russian National Team
-High character individual, stayed with hometown Lokomotiv Moscow rather than moving to a better club, played any role asked of him, ultimate team player
-20 years of professional hockey in USSR, including minors at end of career when Lokomotiv Moscow was no longer in the top division

Kings of the Ice said:
Viktor Yakushev was a unique hockey player not only in the Soviet Union but internationally. The circumstances of his career are even more remarkable than the many pecularities of the game. He played for only one team Lokomotiv Moscow, which in 1961 was among the top three in the SSR. he played until age 42, by which time Lokomotiv was reduced to a minor league team that folded after he left.

At the World Championships, he played for the USSR eight times in six different lineups. It is worth noting the character of the time, the lineups and the morals that prevailed then. Anatoli Tarasov, the virtual ruler of the nationals, had whipped into shape a whole detachment of candidates from his own local CSKA club for the national lineup, capitalizing on the competitive pride of each candidate. tarasov virtually ignored the forwards from Chernyshev's club, even though as Dynamo coach he was the senior coach of the nationals. Dynamo's best forward, Yurzinov, only made it to the Worlds twice. Tarasov also seemed to enjoy breaking up the talented lines of Spartak Moskow in order to weaken his competitors in the domestic championships.

Tarasov used Yakushev as a pawn in his political game because he wasn't a threat to his CSKA club. Yet Tarasov valued the Lokomotiv forward because Yakushev played a key role for the nationals, not just by handling problems and performing well. In 1963, when the Canadians managed to bring the score from 4-0 to 4-2 in the final game, the Soviets faced losing the Championship if they allowed another goal. Yakushev fought for the gold right to the final seconds of the game. A year later at the Olympics, the extremely loyal and conscientious Yakushev was assigned the job of guarding the eminent Tumba Johansson. Yakushev scored 9 goals and became the leading scorer of the team.

One of Yakushev's cohorts, Boris Mayorov, said of his partnership with Yakushev at the 1966 World Championship: "Yakushev was an outstanding player who simply had to be in the nationals lineup. It is with a special feeling of pleasure that I recall the seven games played shoulder to shoulder with Yakushev in Ljubljana." At that championship, Yakushev posted 11 assists, proving he was an invaluable partner on the ice.

What did Yakushev have that the nationals couldn't do without? What was it that made Yakushev feel at home on any forward line? If Yakushev had been playing for a team like Lokomotiv in the media frenzy of today, there is little doubt that he would be heralded as the best player ever. There is no denying that Yakushev was an outstanding player with an exceptional ability to collaborate with other players. Flexibility, adaptibility, and compatibility were Viktor Yakushev's strength. "Compatibility established right at our very first training workouts.", he once said. "no matter with whom. After that, I did my best to work out with the particulars of real teamwork."

On the ice, Yakushev played common sense hockey. When he celebrated his 40th birthday, coach ******** of Novosibirsk, noted "If I could accomplish the impossible and somehow tempt, win over or purchase Yakushev, I would bring him up her to Siberia and say to him, 'You can play for me as long as you want in any game. If you want to play more, go ahead. Less? Go ahead. if you want, you can play till you're 60. In short, do what you feel is necessary. Every minute you are on the ice, every minute of your caliber of hockey is worth more than a dozen training sessions and 30 sermons.'"

But Yakushev remained loyal to Lokomotiv. In those days, that kind of dedication and loyalty to family, home, and team eas genuinely and widely shared.

Yakushev appeared on the ice at most of the major hockey competitions in the world. At the end of his career, he played in a minor league in Tashkent. Words such as "popularity", "image", and "ambition" weren't in his vocabulary. What he loved most was playing for Lokomotiv - nothing else mattered as much. Yakushev played the game longer than any Soviet hockey player. When he continued to play in minor leagues, he ignored the many comments about his age. Throughout his more than 20 years as a hockey player, Viktor Yakushev missed only three training workouts.

Big thanks to Seventies for posting that in an older thread

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
photo.php

HC Davos selects WHA HOFer D Ron Plumb
OHL top defenseman drafted early 1st round NHL, all-star CHL then jumped to WHA where the salary was higher than NHL, was WHA 1st all-star and top WHA dman, one of only 8 defensemen honoured in the WHA hall of fame:

Ted Green
Al Hamilton
Ron Plumb
Rick Ley
Paul Shmyr
Lars-Erik Sjoberg
Pat Stapleton
J.C. Tremblay
http://www.whahof.com/hofmembers.html

He later went on to captain and all-star in Europe.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
With our next pick, the Indians will complete 2/3 of the kid line Sweden had in the 50's and 60's..

LW - Lars-Erik Lundvall

Olympic Silver Medalist (1964)

2 x World Championship Gold Medalist (1957, 1962)
2 x World Championship Silver Medalist (1963, 1964)
World Championship Bronze Medalist (1958)

Guldskridskon Award (1964) – Team Sweden MVP

2 x Most Goals (1962, 1963)
2 x All-Star (1959, 1960)

Regular Season
Games: 205
Goals: 246
Assists: 101

Play-offs
Games: 15
Goals: 14
Assists: 7

6th in Points, 2nd in Goals 1960 Olympics

Google translation of the Elite Prospect bio:
Lundvall is generally said to be Sweden's first two-way player; always responsible in the defensive [zone] and probably would have done well as a back. At the 57 World Championships, Lasse accounted for 6 of the Tre Kronor's 62 goals. At the 1960 Olympics in Squaw Valley, Lasse was the team's leading scorer with 8 goals.

Montreal Gazette, Feb. 6, 1961 "Swedish Press Blasts Smoke Eaters for Hard Hitting Brand of Hockey
Lar-Erik Lundvall, gifted forward who had been in he national team for years injured a knee Friday night

Credit to Dreakmur for stats, awards, and competition finishes. To Hedberg for the rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad