GDT: THE 2023 FREE AGENT FRENZY!!! | Part 2

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Are you assuming this or was this said somewhere? From what I remember, he didn't want to sign because of the injury and wanted to rehab?

Should've worded that better but it's moreso what fans were saying after his stint there. Read the the Kane thread on the Rangers board, they are more than over it with his coasting and turnovers. Those aren't hip related issues either, that's his typical game now a days not the players we typically sign and again I don't see him at his current age and performance moving the needle much, certainly didn't with the stacked rangers team this year.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Should've worded that better but it's moreso what fans were saying after his stint there. Read the the Kane thread on the Rangers board, they are more than over it with his coasting and turnovers. Those aren't hip related issues either, that's his typical game now a days not the players we typically sign and again I don't see him at his current age and performance moving the needle much, certainly didn't with the stacked rangers team this year.
Is it fair to suggest that a player like him can be motivated differently playing for the Lightning as opposed to the Rangers?

He was brought in there to help push a team that hasn't won anything over the top. Here he would be entering a locker room full of cup winners and fellow future HoFers.

Might be a little more motivating playing alongside peers that caliber, no?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Come on Tanner sign the deal!
iu

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Is it fair to suggest that a player like him can be motivated differently playing for the Lightning as opposed to the Rangers?

He was brought in there to help push a team that hasn't won anything over the top. Here he would be entering a locker room full of cup winners and fellow future HoFers.

Might be a little more motivating playing alongside peers that caliber, no?

No? That was literally the only place he wanted to go to so to say anywhere else is more motivating is strange.

He was brought in because he demanded to go there and nowhere else.

Reactions: aylib and Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
No? That was literally the only place he wanted to go to so to say anywhere else is more motivating is strange.

He was brought in because he demanded to go there and nowhere else.

Good point but this is only kinda true. After being dealt to them he said he was interested in going there and was disappointed when it appeared they filled their hole by trading for Tarasenko. The rumors were that the Rangers and the Leafs were the only two teams that showed interest who he was willing to go to, but that could simply mean there weren't a lot of interested teams knowing the price. He never demanded a trade or said he would only play for the Rangers.

Still I personally think that hoping for Kane to come on a reasonable deal is pie in the sky, we aren't the powerhouse that we once were and it seems like he's more interested in playing for a big city. As you mentioned, his play lately is definitely not something we should want to bend over backwards to try and accommodate on this team.

Reactions: Sky04

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
It's slim pickings right now, bur JBB can't even make a move because he's gotta sign Jeannot.

The gift that keeps on giving
Exactly the point so many seem to be missing.
Yes, there is CAP space and the pickings are getting slim. That being typed, until Jeannot signs his new contract, any and all CAP space that remains should be kept open awaiting that contract.
If we sign a 2nd line wing and Jeannot's gets a fat contract, we are going to need to deal away resources in order to pay that contract, putting us in even worse roster shape than we are now.
It is not a matter of being fair or unfair to the young players in Syracuse; it is a common sense matter whether we the fans like it or not.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Good point but this is only kinda true. After being dealt to them he said he was interested in going there and was disappointed when it appeared they filled their hole by trading for Tarasenko. The rumors were that the Rangers and the Leafs were the only two teams that showed interest who he was willing to go to, but that could simply mean there weren't a lot of interested teams knowing the price. He never demanded a trade or said he would only play for the Rangers.

Still I personally think that hoping for Kane to come on a reasonable deal is pie in the sky, we aren't the powerhouse that we once were and it seems like he's more interested in playing for a big city. As you mentioned, his play lately is definitely not something we should want to bend over backwards to try and accommodate on this team.

"Based on the people that I've talked to, if Patrick Kane was to accept a trade somewhere, the two teams that I've been told are on his list are the New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs," Colaiacovo said on 'First Up.'

This was after the Tararsenko trade, it's not a "demand" par say but if the Blackhawks didn't want to let him walk into FA for nothing in a non-playoff year then yes their hands were tied to 2 teams. Given that Toronto was already matched up against Tampa at this point and still not on his radar despite being to the finals 3 times he preferred a team that hasn't been out of the 1st round in 19 years, now that we've lost to said team I doubt we're any higher on the list, let alone for league minimum.

Regardless yes it's likely a big city for him or hometown in Buffalo if they're positioned well.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Reading through the Rangers board the Kane experience was pretty meh for them (think all the frustration with Kuch half-assing it but without the 100+ point upside) and he’s coming off major surgery late in his career. I don’t think that’s what we’re looking for. IIRC he wants to recover first and talk contract later during the season. So even if we have an eye on him it’s not for now.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
That man looked like shit for the Rangers. Coast city.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Boqvist off the board as well now. I thought he could have been a decent middle/bottom 6 add. He went at league min as well for this year. Come on JBB, get Jeannot signed for 2ish million and work on Tatar or maybe trade for someone.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Boqvist off the board as well now. I thought he could have been a decent middle/bottom 6 add. He went at league min as well for this year. Come on JBB, get Jeannot signed for 2ish million and work on Tatar or maybe trade for someone.
Still can’t get Tanner signed I was hoping last week JBB would get him done so we know where we stand for the cap ?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Shame he was an NHL'er. If he was in the AHL then it might have been worth a shot.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If I understand it correctly- he drove drunk and smashed someone’s property, whether vehicle, real estate property, etc. and drove off fleeing.

I got charged with it before, hydroplaned and hit a guardrail when out in the boonies which put me in a ditch. I was a naive HS kid with no cell phone, so I left on foot to get some assistance and when I got back with a tow truck the police were there with charges ready. :facepalm:

The charge doesn't have to involve alcohol but I bet it's a wild story and likely involved impairment. A lot of times impaired drivers will drive off rather than sit around and take a DUI charge.

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Carolina was willing to trade for him. Now they can sign him for the minimum. He might be a shit human, but he’s objectively good at creating enough offense to justify tolerating his defensive issues. Besides, Carolina already had success pairing him with a strong defensive partner, so this is a no-brainer for them.

Reactions: Outl4w

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad