Prospect Info: The 2023/2024 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
It's nice to see our prospects performing well. However, it's painful to read even the title of the following article:

If only we had chosen him over Mynio! :eek3: Sigh.. I need to remind myself to calm down considering it's only an exhibition game against the U of Manitoba.

Im still mad we picked Mynio over Denver Barkey

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
USNTDP U-18 team currently dismantling BU 5-0 with 14mins left in the 2nd period. Aiden Celebrini has looked solid again, but Willander looks to be feeling the back-to-back games.

*edit* Now 7-1 after 2 for the NTDP. Aiden Celebrini continues to be BU's best D, and both he + Willander were on for BU's lone goal.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Really happy with Alriksson’s progression from “why did we pick this Swedish giant so early” to “looks like a good skater with skill in these highlights” to “huh, Scott Walker picked him at the import draft and is at the prospects tournament” to “having a great start to his first season in the OHL”.

4th round picks usually aren’t immediately interesting.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Am I the only one who has no idea if Truscott is a top 5 prospect or a complete nothing burger? I'm confused based on wildly different ratings and reviews. Sounds like he may not be Canucks property soon anyways?

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Am I the only one who has no idea if Truscott is a top 5 prospect or a complete nothing burger? I'm confused based on wildly different ratings and reviews. Sounds like he may not be Canucks property soon anyways?

Yeah, my reaction on the couple times I’ve seen him play has been ‘nothingburger’. Nothing pops, smallish, average skater, not much offense or skill level.

But then a few people here seem to like him a lot.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Yeah, my reaction on the couple times I’ve seen him play has been ‘nothingburger’. Nothing pops, smallish, average skater, not much offense or skill level.

But then a few people here seem to like him a lot.
Ah. That is what I leaned towards but I value your neutrality towards prospects. No point getting hot and bothered over players like that.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Who is this guy ? Like honestly who is he . Hunter Brzustewicz with another 3 point game , 1 goal and 2 assists and is now in the scoring lead amongst defenseman by 3 full points .

6 points in 2 games , is OHL player of the week honours incoming ? Put this kid on Team USA already . 13 points on the season now

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Who is this guy ? Like honestly who is he . Hunter Brzustewicz with another 3 point game , 1 goal and 2 assists and is now in the scoring lead amongst defenseman by 3 full points .

6 points in 2 games , is OHL player or the week honours incoming ? Put this kid on Team USA already . 13 points on the season now

I think we may just have something brzuing here

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

6 points in 2 games , is OHL player or the week honours incoming ? Put this kid on Team USA already . 13 points on the season now
He is our very recent 3rd round pick
Relatively high pick

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I had him going near the tail end of the 1st round.

I had him ahead of Dragicevic, Bertucci, Cleveland and Dvorak (Lol’ing that some of these names went anywhere near the 2nd round), Strbak, Morin, Akey, and Burns. All of these guys went ahead of Brzustewicz. I didn’t think any of those guys had better draft seasons than Brzustewicz and a lot of them were projected 3rd to 5th rounders.

He should have been the next d-men selected after Lindstein/Gulyayev (only would’ve taken Lindstein or Gibson out of all of these names btw).

Regardless, in my eyes, he’s a 1st round talent. His start to the year has only further cemented my belief in that.

If I’m Allvin, I’d carefully consider extending Hronek to a long term contract. That’s how high I am on Brew.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In today's NHL it's no longer just a 'luxury' to have scoring from your back-end, it's become almost 'essential'.

That's the reason why they paid hefty price for Filip Hronek. and drafted guys like Wilander, Brzustewicz, and even Kudryavtsev,

There's a chance that by the end of the season, Canucks will have signed two of the top-scoring d-men in the OHL; and one of top scoring d-men in NCAA hockey.

Reactions: Jay26

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

i love truscott. i think he was way better last year than hirose and livingstone (and mcward, though i didn't really see mcward play) and he'll be 22 when he graduates. still very young for a college senior. i expect him to have a big year now that he's out of hughes shadow. his only real competition for prime minutes on michigan's dline is seamus casey

his skating might hold him back as a pro (he's agile but doesn't have great speed) but his decision making, playmaking and poise under pressure are all top class

(he's going to sign with the wings as a free agent though)

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It is early but our prospects are on fire out of the gate. Of the 42 non-goalie prospects here's the PPG breakdown:

PPG >1: 7 (A. Bains, H. Brzustewicz, A Celebrini, N. Höglander, T. Mueller, T. Nielsen, T. Willander)
PPG 1 - 0.75: 6 (N. Åman, L. Karlsson, V. Kravtsov, K. Kudryavtsev, E. Pettersson, J. Truscott)
PPG 0.74 - 0.50: 8 (V. Alriksson, J. Dorrington, D. Gardner, J. Kunz, J. Lekkerimaki, A. McDonough, J. Rathbone, M. Sasson)
PPG 0.49 - 0.25: 2 (L. Forsell, M. Perkins)
PPG 0.24>: 8 (H. Gabrielson, A. Hirose, F. Johansson, J. Jurmo, D. Klimovich, S. Mynio, A Räty, C. Wouters)
Have not Played: 8 (J. Bloom, M. Gatcomb, A.K. Leipert, C. Nychuk, V. Persson, K. Plasek, Q. Schmiemann, D. Zlodeyev)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's nice to see our prospects performing well. However, it's painful to read even the title of the following article:

If only we had chosen him over Mynio! :eek3: Sigh.. I need to remind myself to calm down considering it's only an exhibition game against the U of Manitoba.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it Perron is a small so so skater and his path to the NHL is a long one.

He is one of those players the stat watchers will drool over but then act all surprised if he doesn't make it.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
i love truscott. i think he was way better last year than hirose and livingstone (and mcward, though i didn't really see mcward play) and he'll be 22 when he graduates. still very young for a college senior. i expect him to have a big year now that he's out of hughes shadow. his only real competition for prime minutes on michigan's dline is seamus casey

his skating might hold him back as a pro (he's agile but doesn't have great speed) but his decision making, playmaking and poise under pressure are all top class

(he's going to sign with the wings as a free agent though)
Besides Klimovich, will the Canucks end up signing anyone from the 2020/2021 drafts? Brutal. That gap in our prospect pipeline hurts big time. Thank goodness for the quality free agent prospects we've signed.

Reactions: wetcoast

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it Perron is a small so so skater and his path to the NHL is a long one.

He is one of those players the stat watchers will drool over but then act all surprised if he doesn't make it.
Are you certain about his skating abilities being just "so-so"? In my opinion, his skating + agility is his standout strength.

My enthusiasm was not based on stat watch. Based on the games I watched, what sets him apart was his hockey sense, which is the very reason I have high expectations for his progression. Taking him with a 3rd round pick was certainly a worthwhile gamble.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Maybe just a bit under the radar going into the season (at least for me as I expected him to be a depth guy this season) but Aiden Celebrini looked like he had a great weekend as well.

I didn’t watch either game, but aside from the 2 points on Friday, reports say he was the best defensive d-man in both games, and I think a poster here said he was just plain and simple the best d-man for BU period this weekend.

At any rate, just the fact he seems to have leap frogged some of the other guys and acquitted himself more than adequately is great news.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Are you certain about his skating abilities being just "so-so"? In my opinion, his skating + agility is his standout strength.

His skating is okay but typically a player his size is better served to have elite skating.

Basically his ceiling is a less physical Connor Garland type of guy.
My enthusiasm was not based on stat watch. Based on the games I watched, what sets him apart was his hockey sense, which is the very reason I have high expectations for his progression. Taking him with a 3rd round pick was certainly a worthwhile gamble.

I was talking about more going forward than in the past with stat watchers.

His hockey sense is very good but the road is littered with tons of small guys who weren't elite skaters but extremely productive in the lower ranks than the NHL hits them like a truck.

Last edited:

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
His skating os aoky but typically a player his size is better served to ahve elite skating.

Basically his ceiling is a less physical Connor Garland type of guy.

I was talking about more going forward than in the past with stat watchers.

His hockey sense is very good but the road is littered with tons of small guys who weren't elite skaters but extrmely productive in the lower ranks than the NHL hits them like a truck.
Less physical Connor Garland or perhaps Beauvillier seems like a reasonable ceiling (I think there's a slim chance of exceeding that potential), and that would indeed be a fantastic outcome for a late 3rd round pick.

Anyway, I wish Mynio could prove me wrong.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Besides Klimovich, will the Canucks end up signing anyone from the 2020/2021 drafts? Brutal. That gap in our prospect pipeline hurts big time. Thank goodness for the quality free agent prospects we've signed.
The 2016 draft was also a big zero and that hurts to have 3 drafts in the last 8 years as total duds.

Reactions: Jay26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad