Seattle - Wright, Firkus, Nyman, Goyette, Nelson
CBJ - Jiricek, Mateychuk, Del Bel Belluz, Dumais, Ivanov
Buffalo - Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich, Lindgren, Komarov
Minny - Ohgren, Yurov, Haight, Lorenz
Washington - Miroshnichenko, Chesley, Persson, Hofer
Carolina - Trikozov, Perevalov, Forsmark, Lucius, Grudinin, Vondras
Winnipeg - McGroarty, Lambert, Salomonsson, Zhilkin, Wagner
CBJ doing well since hiring the PCS boys hmmm :P

Surprising take as I think we came out of it with 4 of the top 50 players. Added a RHD to the stable with top 4 upside. If you look at Bob MacKenzies preseason rankings we have 4 of the top 20 players... obviously Lambert, Salomosson and Zhilkin are trending down but look for yourself:

He had Lambert at 3, McGroarty at 12, Salomonsson at 14 and then Zhilkin as one of four honourable mentions. I know that that was then and this is now, but I think this was a good draft for us and could be an amazing draft for us.
Remember when Auston Brassard made the pre-season HM for Bob's list

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Surprising take as I think we came out of it with 4 of the top 50 players. Added a RHD to the stable with top 4 upside. If you look at Bob MacKenzies preseason rankings we have 4 of the top 20 players... obviously Lambert, Salomosson and Zhilkin are trending down but look for yourself:

He had Lambert at 3, McGroarty at 12, Salomonsson at 14 and then Zhilkin as one of four honourable mentions. I know that that was then and this is now, but I think this was a good draft for us and could be an amazing draft for us.
Lambert was a no brainer at 30, but other than that I don’t know who are slam dunks to ever be more than a third or fourth liner or an injury replacement defenceman. I’m actually more excited about the goalie we took with our last pick… many say he’s the best goaltender prospect in the OHL.

It’s not just the Jets, there seemed to be a bit of a drop off right before the Jets chose. With all the Covid interruptions, this was a tough draft to call.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is the year I feel less certain than other years largely due to my lack of knowledge. I like McGroarty pick more than you and the Lambert pick less. After that I don’t know. Outside of Laine I really disliked our 2016 draft the day it happened probably more than any of our other drafts.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
This is the year I feel less certain than other years largely due to my lack of knowledge. I like McGroarty pick more than you and the Lambert pick less. After that I don’t know. Outside of Laine I really disliked our 2016 draft the day it happened probably more than any of our other drafts.
2017 we had 8 picks and our first round pick busted..Pretty much relying on the shoulders of Dylan Samberg for that draft outcome..

On a side note we only had 4 picks for each of 2020 and 2021 draft and 5 in 2019..We certainly moved out a lot of draft capital the past 3 years to try and contend. Glad to see we had 7 picks this draft, prospect cupboard needs major restocking.

Reactions: ps241

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
2017 we had 8 picks and our first round pick busted..Pretty much relying on the shoulders of Dylan Samberg for that draft outcome..

On a side note we only had 4 picks for each of 2020 and 2021 draft and 5 in 2019..We certainly moved out a lot of draft capital the past 3 years to try and contend. Glad to see we had 7 picks this draft, prospect cupboard needs major restocking.
Number of picks is meaningless

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I was mostly referring to my emotional reaction to the draft vs my hopes On draft day. Yes its nice to get back to drafting.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Teams who I think drafted really well.

Montreal - Slaf, Mesar, Beck, Hutson, Engstrom
Zona - Cooley, Geekie, Duda, Lutz
Seattle - Wright, Firkus, Nyman, Goyette, Nelson
CBJ - Jiricek, Mateychuk, Del Bel Belluz, Dumais, Ivanov
Buffalo - Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich, Lindgren, Komarov
Minny - Ohgren, Yurov, Haight, Lorenz
Washington - Miroshnichenko, Chesley, Persson, Hofer
Carolina - Trikozov, Perevalov, Forsmark, Lucius, Grudinin, Vondras
Winnipeg - McGroarty, Lambert, Salomonsson, Zhilkin, Wagner
I think Tampa made a few really solid picks that may turn some heads sooner than later - Howard, Edmonds, Kurth.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Washington got a steal because they know Ovie can get Putin to wave Miroschenko's military service...
They got Chesley too who was high on my list. They always seem to get defensemen I want for the Jets.

They selected Iorio last year who I had on radar for Winnipeg.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I thought our TNSE group looked really old hitting the stage. Zinger was looking a bit rough physically the way he was walking.

The matching suits thing for the Phoenix crew was a bit out there but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
This is almost word for word what Wiebe wrote on Sportsnet... can we just get AI to cover sports already...
print('Added skill') if all_ppg > 1 else print('Added grit') if all_height > 6 else print('Pas assez de Canadiens français') if team=='Montreal Canadiens' else print('Balancing their '+str(total_picks)+' selections well overall')

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Lambert was a no brainer at 30, but other than that I don’t know who are slam dunks to ever be more than a third or fourth liner or an injury replacement defenceman. I’m actually more excited about the goalie we took with our last pick… many say he’s the best goaltender prospect in the OHL.

It’s not just the Jets, there seemed to be a bit of a drop off right before the Jets chose. With all the Covid interruptions, this was a tough draft to call.
I like the pick of Lambert at 30. But I cant help but think Isaac Howard has almost as much upside without the risk of a season where he face planted. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I like the pick of Lambert at 30. But I cant help but think Isaac Howard has almost as much upside without the risk of a season where he face planted. I hope I'm wrong.
drafting both rutger and howard would have sent some here in a tizzy since they're both american LOL. but i dont disagree, production models rate howard quite high. that USNTDP has been pumping out talent last few years.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Tampa made a few really solid picks that may turn some heads sooner than later - Howard, Edmonds, Kurth.
Howard scored better, in his own tier points wise between Cooley and McGroarty/Nazar/Gauthier

Feels like we passed on another DeBrincat type talent again.

Lambert has some awesome tools to work with. He is almost certain to make the NHL with them. But I cant help feeling like we drafted another Roslovic, while our fans think we drafted Ehlers. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Still great value at 30th overall though.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Howard was a complete tool and was the least athletic player in the entire draft. With that attitude there's no chance he'd ever sign here long term, Thank God they passed.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
After watching Howard's "performance" at the draft, I'm glad he isn't coming here. He way crosses the line between confidence and arrogance. I'm surprised he didn't have an entourage follow him up to the stage. Much like Kane, he has an ego that just wouldn't go over well here, and I expect he wouldn't be happy here.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Howard was a complete tool and was the least athletic player in the entire draft. With that attitude there's no chance he'd ever sign here long term, Thank God they passed.
I'm sure there are some factors we are not privy to. You may very well be right.

I dont know shit in the grand scheme. All I'm saying is, on the surface, it looks like we passed on a top six winger for a guy who looks like he could be a Cogliano/Hagelin type by the time he is in his mid twenties.

Hopefully I'm wrong...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad