GDT: The 2022 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Like I always say...It's never to early for a draft thread.

When: June 24-25th 2022
Where: Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

To kick things off here's my preliminary top 16.

1. Shane Wright - C - 6'1 - 187 - Kingston, OHL

2. Brad Lambert - C/RW - 6'0 - 180 - JYP, Liiga

3. Matthew Savoie - C - 5'10 - 181 - Winnipeg, WHL

4. Juraj Slafkovsky - LW - 6'4 - 220 - TPS, Liiga

5. Ivan Miroshnichenko - LW - 6'1 - 185 - Omsk, VHL

6. Rutger McGroarty - C - 6'1 - 198 - US18, NTDP

7. Conor Geekie - C - 6'4 - 205 - Winnipeg, WHL

8. Joakim Kemell - RW - 5'11 - 176 - JYP, Liiga

9. David Jiricek - RD - 6'3 - 180 - Plzen, Czech

10. Simon Nemec - RD - 6'1 - 192 - Nitra, Slovak

11. Noah Ostlund - C/LW - 5'10 - 161 - Djurgårdens, J20

12. Ryan Chesley - RD - 6'0 - 187 - US18, NTDP

13. Denton Mateychuk - LD - 5'11 - 192 - Moose Jaw, WHL

14. Maddox Flemming - RW - 5'11 - 176 - US18, NTDP

15. Isaac Howard - LW - 5'10 - 174 - US18, NTDP

16. Cruz Lucius - RW - 5'11 - 176 - US18, NTDP

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Wright or Lambert would look great here … or Savoie, I guess, since he played here, but honestly seems like he’s fallen off a bit. Of course, I don’t want to draft these guys unless it’s for a pick we’ve traded for.

Cruz Lucius might be fun, but I’m not sure he’ll be available for us at pick #32. :)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wright or Lambert would look great here … or Savoie, I guess, since he played here, but honestly seems like he’s fallen off a bit. Of course, I don’t want to draft these guys unless it’s for a pick we’ve traded for.

Cruz Lucius might be fun, but I’m not sure he’ll be available for us at pick #32. :)

Hard to say where these kids land by the time it's all said and done. A year is a way out. Only kid who likely has his spot locked up is Wright.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You don’t think Lambert challenges him?

I don't think it's particularly close right now. So far it's Wright and then a step down to Lambert/Savoie. Then a cluster of forwards who each bring something intriguing to the table. USNTDP has a pretty solid group and I expect we will see a lot of kids taken in the 1st round from the program.

Reactions: snowkiddin

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Maybe. It's likely to land somewhere in the middle unless we have a terrible or amazing season.

Now that they have neutered the lottery system impact I think it takes the narrowly missing the playoffs joy out of the half assed tanking. The only upside to missing is you don’t become goofy buyers and burn future draft assets on an extremely low chance of winning it all.

Dax is 2022 a good draft class?

Reactions: GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What is the RD situation in this draft? You think we can nab a good one in the kid to late first round?

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

Savoie is going to need a huge year with the Ice. He play as an underager didn't scream exceptional status and made it look like Hockey Canada made the right call on that one.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Now that they have neutered the lottery system impact I think it takes the narrowly missing the playoffs joy out of the half assed tanking. The only upside to missing is you don’t become goofy buyers and burn future draft assets on an extremely low chance of winning it all.

Dax is 2022 a good draft class?

Yeah 2022 looks above average.

Good group of C's like Wright, Lambert, Savoie, McGroarty, Geekie, Gaucher, Bystedt.

Lots of intriguing wingers like Slafkosvky, Kemell, Ostlund, Flemming, Howard, Lucius, Nazar, Yurov, Kaplan, Nadeau, Dumais.

A really strong group of RHD like Jiricek, Nemec, Chesley, Salomonsson, Luneau, Casey.

Reactions: ps241

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
For those curious, Pronman put up his annual “way too early” draft ranking. Interesting that he noted Wright as being above Power as a 1OA by a “decent, albeit not wide margin”. Very surprising to me given the knocks on Power throughout the year as going high largely due to size, and Wright’s incredible 15 year old season.

So far he has

Tier 1 (Bubble Elite/All-Star): Wright
Tier 2 (Bubble All-Star/Top of Lineup): Miroshnichenko, Yurov
Tier 3 (Top of Lineup): Lambert, Jiricek, Slafkovsky, Savoie, Geekie, Cooley

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For those curious, Pronman put up his annual “way too early” draft ranking. Interesting that he noted Wright as being above Power as a 1OA by a “decent, albeit not wide margin”. Very surprising to me given the knocks on Power throughout the year as going high largely due to size, and Wright’s incredible 15 year old season.

So far he has

Tier 1 (Bubble Elite/All-Star): Wright
Tier 2 (Bubble All-Star/Top of Lineup): Miroshnichenko, Yurov
Tier 3 (Top of Lineup): Lambert, Jiricek, Slafkovsky, Savoie, Geekie, Cooley

Pronman is likely having a mental breakdown right now with the Leafs having unconditionally waived Jeremy Bracco. Dude was Bracco's biggest hype man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->