The 2022 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I've loved the trades and transactions Armstrong has done, but what I haven't loved is that either a) we don't have the ability to sign some serviceable UFAs on short deals to patch the holes until we can do major surgery, or b) we didn't have the desire to do it.
I agree with this part wholeheartedly. I'm fine with being one of the four worst teams of this season. I'm not fine being one of the worst teams of the last twenty seasons. There is a degree of tanking to consider. You don't have to be this bad in order to be bad enough to get what you want.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
The risk here is that in markets like Buffalo and Edmonton, there will be and have been crowds of people with pitchforks and torches holding people's feet to the fire....but...

Here, if it works great, it's what we're all hoping for, but if it doesn't work like it hasn't there, it will be crickets. I mean, sure, this board is full of fantasy GMers who sort of 'get it', but wow the conversations I have with our few remaining casual fans. This is going to be absolutely brutal to attend. All I can hope for is an overachieving team, but I think it's more likely we're out by Halloween again. Fun.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Good post. Years ago Tom Lysiak said on national TV that he did not want to be drafted by the Montreal Canadians, and if he did, he would not report. What would happen if we won the lottery and Wright said the same thing? These kids are better at a earlier age and like Eichel and others want to win and not be associated with these loser teams. BS baffles brains for only so long. Mind you, the BS has baffled the Coyote fans for years.
Kinda like this worthless f**k. I remember this very distinctly- Blake Wheeler, "After the Phoenix Coyotes were not able to come to terms with Wheeler, on July 1, 2008, Wheeler signed an entry-level contract with the Boston Bruins."

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
rt has convinced me though, I agree we shouldnt be tanking quite so hard - the likely outcome doesnt justify it.
Funny, seems to me he's working right out of rt's playbook.
If anything, BA is being conservative in comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I’m okay with being the Stanley Cup Champions of tanking. Good mojo? I’ve been a fan of this cursed franchise for 30+years and I’m tired of waiting for that mojo to kick in.

in terms of what we’ve actually done. It’s incomplete. We will do something in goal when we pick up Kostinen for a pick when Wdmonton finally gets a deal done for someone. Or we pick a guy off waivers. We lost Keumper who lets face it would likely be injured half the year anyways with the workload we would have saddled him with. We sold high. Really f***ing high. A return that a year ago was double the highest expectation. On a player who wasn’t going to be back.

The big loss is Garland and yeah i think we lost the trade because of it (although i love the pick up of Guenther) but that’s an owner prescribed move. I don’t blame Armstrong for it. I commend him for getting the best long-term return with enough upside to eventually turn this deal around for the organization.

the moves on D. We are better than we were last year. Yeah we could use another body. Let’s see what happens with the waiver wire. We are dumpster diving.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
We 100% need another goalie. Otherwise I'd like another big hard working nasty bottom 6 center, but meh not a huge deal. If this group gets average to good goaltending I think they'll be bottom 5, but certainly not historically bad. I think Tocchet to Tourigny is going to be a giant upgrade that's noticable in many players.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m okay with being the Stanley Cup Champions of tanking. Good mojo? I’ve been a fan of this cursed franchise for 30+years and I’m tired of waiting for that mojo to kick in.

in terms of what we’ve actually done. It’s incomplete. We will do something in goal when we pick up Kostinen for a pick when Wdmonton finally gets a deal done for someone. Or we pick a guy off waivers. We lost Keumper who lets face it would likely be injured half the year anyways with the workload we would have saddled him with. We sold high. Really f***ing high. A return that a year ago was double the highest expectation. On a player who wasn’t going to be back.

The big loss is Garland and yeah i think we lost the trade because of it (although i love the pick up of Guenther) but that’s an owner prescribed move. I don’t blame Armstrong for it. I commend him for getting the best long-term return with enough upside to eventually turn this deal around for the organization.

the moves on D. We are better than we were last year. Yeah we could use another body. Let’s see what happens with the waiver wire. We are dumpster diving.
You sit there and talk big. See the score board and comment. That's not much pain mentally or financially. Tell that to the season ticket holders who spend THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS watching this crap year in and year out. Different owners with different plans who promise the moon and give us jack shit. I don't care who we traded, or if we think we won a trade, or if we sold high. I just don't care anymore. That's why this year I'm picking a team of my choice to watch (Av's) from afar as there is no way I'll watch the Coyotes away games. The silver lining for me is that I will attend my first ever ASU hockey game, and also my first ever Roadrunner game. The Coyotes will have to win me back, and if they don't care the feeling is mutual this time around.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You sit there and talk big. See the score board and comment. That's not much pain mentally or financially. Tell that to the season ticket holders who spend THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS watching this crap year in and year out. Different owners with different plans who promise the moon and give us jack shit. I don't care who we traded, or if we think we won a trade, or if we sold high. I just don't care anymore. That's why this year I'm picking a team of my choice to watch (Av's) from afar as there is no way I'll watch the Coyotes away games. The silver lining for me is that I will attend my first ever ASU hockey game, and also my first ever Roadrunner game. The Coyotes will have to win me back, and if they don't care the feeling is mutual this time around.
I will buy more in merchandise and am planning (covid not withstanding) on attending a game in person this season. I also will sign up for my Tuscon Roadrunners package just like i did last season. My outlet of cash for this team will never be higher than what it is this season. I will even buy a Carter Hutton shirtsy as soon as it is available. I am putting my $ forward. I have no issue with it. I’d also like to buy a retirement place when we finally have a firm commitment on a new arena. I haven’t been a season ticket holder for this franchise since high school/university in Winnipeg.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I will buy more in merchandise and am planning (covid not withstanding) on attending a game in person this season. I also will sign up for my Tuscon Roadrunners package just like i did last season. My outlet of cash for this team will never be higher than what it is this season. I will even buy a Carter Hutton shirtsy as soon as it is available. I am putting my $ forward. I have no issue with it. I’d also like to buy a retirement place when we finally have a firm commitment on a new arena. I haven’t been a season ticket holder for this franchise since high school/university in Winnipeg.
Buy a retirement place, AND season tickets, and then wait for a firm commitment (cough cough) on a new arena. Join the rest of us dummies.:)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Hell, let's just time share! I'll let you stay at our home (close to downtown Tempe) for some of the months of the season and we will go up to your place in BC! Deal???? Ok great, deal!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Who did we end up getting with the 2nd round compensatory pick we received for Wheeler?
Sigh. We combined 2 picks (35 and 39) to move up to 28th overall) to move up to take Victor Tikohonov. Keith Gretzky special. Worst amateur draft head scout we ever had. He was convinced that the twice passed over in the draft (it was his 3rd year of eligibility) Tikhonov was a first line C.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I agree with this part wholeheartedly. I'm fine with being one of the four worst teams of this season. I'm not fine being one of the worst teams of the last twenty seasons. There is a degree of tanking to consider. You don't have to be this bad in order to be bad enough to get what you want.
You have to be pretty bad if you intend on having a better chance at winning the lottery then Buffalo. They have no shame.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
My son and I planned on flying down to take in a few games this coming season but sadly he was killed in an industrial accident 3 weeks ago. All my plans mean nothing now. Life throws some really hard ones at you sometimes but this has got to be the worst.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
My son and I planned on flying down to take in a few games this coming season but sadly he was killed in an industrial accident 3 weeks ago. All my plans mean nothing now. Life throws some really hard ones at you sometimes but this has got to be the worst.
So sorry to hear man. Prayers to you and your family.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Thx hbk. Some of our best times were talking about the coyotes. He was the nicest kid and it's pretty hard waking up each day and facing the fact that he won't be there. But coming to this forum helps a bit cause it is like him and I are talking hockey.
I will chat hockey with you anytime dude.

Reactions: Heldig and RemoAZ

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
So very, very sorry to hear. My deepest sympathy to you and family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad