The 2022 NHL Draft Thread v4 (Coyotes have #3 pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So, let me get this straight, after watching these players a total of two hours you state they are exciting and have low bust potential. You know this after two hours of watching these players? You are in the wrong business. ;)
Uh huh.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I’ve officially come around on Cooley. I think he would be a slam dunk pick to “at least” develop into a top 6 winger.

I haven’t fully come around yet. Because if Cooley doesn’t make it as a center (there is a likelihood he doesn’t) he’s basically Clayton Keller.

And we already have a Clayton Keller signed for six more years

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I haven’t fully come around yet. Because if Cooley doesn’t make it as a center (there is a likelihood he doesn’t) he’s basically Clayton Keller.

And this is my hesitation as well. A year ago we were talking like we would give up assets to get out of his contract.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Listening to Craig Button on the PHNX pod. He made a great point about Cooley; you NEVER actually notice or think about him being short when you actually watch him play. He never SEEMS short or in anyway limited.

I honestly wonder if they comes down to wingspan and skating stride. He's got the best stride in the draft and he's got long arms. You don't really notice that his head sits a couple inches shorter than you want.

He looks like THIS Keller. Not the draft year Keller. Not the rookie Keller. Not the lazy, soft Keller. But the confident, finally got a few muscles in his arms, willing to skate in straight lines and actually go inside Keller.

Except really good defensively and elite on draws.

EDIT: he could pin Keller in a wrestling match right now, too (even pre-femur).

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Listening to Craig Button on the PHNX pod. He made a great point about Cooley; you NEVER actually notice or think about him being short when you actually watch him play. He never SEEMS short or in anyway limited.

I honestly wonder if they comes down to wingspan and skating stride. He's got the best stride in the draft and he's got long arms. You don't really notice that his head sits a couple inches shorter than you want.

He looks like THIS Keller. Not the draft year Keller. Not the rookie Keller. Not the lazy, soft Keller. But the confident, finally got a few muscles in his arms, willing to skate in straight lines and actually go inside Keller.

Button also made a comment, can’t remember exact words, of Cooley absolutely being a 1C. Something to that extent. He is clearly a huge Cooley fan.

rt

May 13, 2004
Button also made a comment, can’t remember exact words, of Cooley absolutely being a 1C. Something to that extent. He is clearly a huge Cooley fan.
Button made another great point about Cooley. He said that the Coyotes already made a big investment in Guenther by using a top ten pick on a winger. To not get him a center like Cooley is failing to maximize on Guenther and diminishes that investment.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

He is playing with his peers. Let's see what happens when he plays against men. He will get taller and bigger, but as usual that takes time. It's how he adjusts to the NHL will decide what kind of player he will be. I think he will be just fine.

Last edited:

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Ive been hoping for Cooley for months now. This team needs a top center and I feel like he has the least amount of holes in his game with a high ceiling. Hes a bit younger in this draft class and should continue to get bigger and stronger. Who wouldnt want a Sebastian Aho type player on this team?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I can see Cooley going # 2 to whomever NJD trades their pick. So, is it Slafkovsky, a D, or another center at 3. Wouldn't be something if BA and the chipmunks project Geekie or Gauthier to be better than the talking heads would believe and would draft one at #3.

rt

May 13, 2004
I can see Cooley going # 2 to whomever NJD trades their pick. So, is it Slafkovsky, a D, or another center at 3. Wouldn't be something if BA and the chipmunks project Geekie or Gauthier to be better than the talking heads would believe and would draft one at #3.
I still have Slafkovsky at 2nd. But almost tied with Wright. I will be excited, rather than disappointed, should Cooley go 2nd, and we pick Slafkovsky.

Of course, we then need to use a few of those next six picks on centers. But that’s okay. And there’s always next year.

rt

May 13, 2004
Great article.

What stands out to me is that Al Murray encouraged Darryl Plandowski to leave Tampa and go work for BA in Arizona because he knew it would be a great situation. Murray and Plandowski are two of the top names in the scouting world. Along with BA. Game recognize game. The fact that BA was immediately able to recruit the most highly regarded scouting and development people speaks volumes. John Ferguson Jr. is the cherry on top.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I doubt NJ ends up trading the pick. Their scouts will lock in on a player they love.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I still have Slafkovsky at 2nd. But almost tied with Wright. I will be excited, rather than disappointed, should Cooley go 2nd, and we pick Slafkovsky.

Of course, we then need to use a few of those next six picks on centers. But that’s okay. And there’s always next year.
"There's always next year". Where have I heard that before.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
If the devils were picking 6th, I'm positive they would trade it. You don't trade a top 2 pick, though. Especially with Slaf's play in the World Championships. I think he's a slam dunk for them and would probably only need a season in the AHL before he can help them compete.

rt

May 13, 2004
If the devils were picking 6th, I'm positive they would trade it. You don't trade a top 2 pick, though. Especially with Slaf's play in the World Championships. I think he's a slam dunk for them and would probably only need a season in the AHL before he can help them compete.
Agree. They should just pick him. Really no need to overthink it. That honestly goes for all three teams in in the top three. Montreal should just do the logical, expected, easy thing and pick Wright. The Devils should just pick Slafkovksy. And even Arizona, we have to just simplify and take the center in Cooley.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Agree. They should just pick him. Really no need to overthink it. That honestly goes for all three teams in in the top three. Montreal should just do the logical, expected, easy thing and pick Wright. The Devils should just pick Slafkovksy. And even Arizona, we have to just simplify and take the center in Cooley.
Just as long as we don’t get Wright. Has that Strome gut feeling. It’s been a hard year want something nice.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Cooley feels very safe but he isnt a slam-dunk for 3rd and I'm not sure he fits the plan. It's possible the Coyotes have zeroed in on Nemec instead as was strongly rumored a few months ago. It's essential to get that star blue-liner if they're trading Chychrun away and they'll want that guy to be an impact player at the same time as their 2023 #1 centre arrives. Jiricek is a wildcard, love his attitude so he's my pick but I'm a gambler. If they dont get Nemec/Jiricek then I guess they could move up to top 20's to grab another defenseman they hope can be that #1 guy. But that feels less solid of a plan.

Reactions: moosemeister

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Wouldn't he be better off in Liiga another season? Then start 2023 in Tucson. Bill likes to cook his young.

Slaf could play in either Finland or the AHL next year, doens't really matter. He's also NHL ready, but only IMO on a good team where he can be sheltered a bit and is in a positive & winning environment on a competitive team.

So I could see him playing in NJD, because if get a goalie (Husso/Kuemper) and maybe add a little depth around the edges, they should be competing for a playoff spot next year. And if they added a big piece (like Chychrun) in addition to Slaf and a goalie, then I think they would for sure be a playoff team.

But I would keep him in either Finland or the AHL if he was drafted by us, or MTL, SEA, or other weak teams. No need to rush him.

Just as long as we don’t get Wright. Has that Strome gut feeling. It’s been a hard year want something nice.

I think he'll be just fine, but I would leave him in the OHL for one more season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad